• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Took the .357 Bulldog out today. Tried some new ammo.

Took the Bulldog out to the Desert today. It was HOT! 95 degrees at 7:30 A.M.
I forgot my shooting bags, so I had to make do with the bipod. All groups were at 50 yards.
I tried some new ammo. 81gr JSB Domes, GT Bullets .358 130gr cast HP, GT Bullets .356 145gr cast HP
JSB 81gr Domes were going the right speed at 883 fps. They didn't group very well. The Polymags group way better!
The GT 130gr cast HP's did really well. 735 fps for 156 ft lbs 5 shots at 1.25" Throw out the 1 flyer and the other 4 were at 1" I ordered some more 130gr HP's in .357 We'll see how those do.

8cX88Eil.jpg

The GT 145gr cast HP's didn't group very well. I'll use those in my .38 snubbie.
Next time I will bring my shooting bags. The new Buck Rail moderator worked great!
Headed back home at 9:30 temp was 104 by then.

@smbob JSB 81 grain diabolo pellets grouped poorly at 50 yards? Is this a stock Bulldog? I’m interested to see how they perform when you try again with a rear shooting bag.
The only mods are a Pitbull depinger, Pitbull barrel supports, and a Buck Rail moderator. I have the hammer spring turned in until it won't cock anymore then backed off 3/4 of a turn.
Yea, it's funny. Polymags pretty much make 1 ragged hole at 50 yards. The Diabolos were like about 2 inches. I have a couple of tins of the Diabolos, so I will try them again next time out.
Ultimately I want a good cast hollowpoint bullet to shoot in this gun.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
@smbob I wonder if your hammer spring adjustment is throwing off your groups with the diabolo pellets. I realize that all barrels are not the same. I’ve shot multiple Bulldogs and they have done well with the 81 grain pellets out to around 65 yards. Shooting the gun of the box they grouped great for me. How did they shoot out of yours before you made the adjustment(s)? Have you tried shooting them without the moderator? I’m not familiar with that moderator. I think the gun is capable of groups tighter than 2” at 50 yards.

@smbob I wonder if your hammer spring adjustment is throwing off your groups with the diabolo pellets. I realize that all barrels are not the same. I’ve shot multiple Bulldogs and they have done well with the 81 grain pellets out to around 65 yards. Shooting the gun of the box they grouped great for me. How did they shoot out of yours before you made the adjustment(s)? Have you tried shooting them without the moderator? I’m not familiar with that moderator. I think the gun is capable of groups tighter than 2” at 50 yards.
Oh it shoots great with Polymags and they are the same weight. I didn't get a chance to mess with the hammer spring this time out. Honestly I'm not too concerned with how it shoots with Diabolos. I want this gun to be a slug shooter more than anything. I plan on some mods and upgrades that should get this Bulldog over 200 ft lbs with cast hollowpoint bullets down the line. Right now I'm just enjoying it the way it is.

I am really tempted to pick up a Bulldog as my first PCP as they seem to be a solid platform. I am curious if anyone has any recommendations on how to tone down the sci-fi look of the gun and what the reliability has been like for you all that have owned them for a while?
I think doing something like a wrap really helps the look out. They have a very noticeable two tone black in factory form that makes the shroud jump out when you look at it. Having it more evenly finished makes it blend together better and changes the look completely. I wrapped mine in Kryptek Typhon and am pleased with the results. As far as being reliable, I haven’t had any issues and you don’t hear of that many. I think Benjamin started making these back in 2015 so it’s not like it’s a new platform with bugs still needing to be worked out.

3ED215F4-8E7E-4FD1-BABD-21B8A717C236.jpeg

58A09E41-CFC2-4B95-BB68-05AC97F2FC10.jpeg

I think doing something like a wrap really helps the look out. They have a very noticeable two tone black in factory form that makes the shroud jump out when you look at it. Having it more evenly finished makes it blend together better and changes the look completely. I wrapped mine in Kryptek Typhon and am pleased with the results. As far as being reliable, I haven’t had any issues and you don’t hear of that many. I think Benjamin started making these back in 2015 so it’s not like it’s a new platform with bugs still needing to be worked out.

View attachment 276977

View attachment 276978
I agree the wrap is a definite improvement! Thanks for the side by side comparison

Reactions: Cannonball
@smbob Enjoying your gun for your intended purpose is what’s important. Are you going to perform your own mods or will you ship it out?
I plan on ordering the larger air tube, regulator, and moderator kit from Matt at Pitbull. I will put it on myself.
The Bulldog is very easy to work on. I have had it mostly torn down to put the depinger in it, so I'm somewhat familiar with the installation, plus Matt has several YouTube videos on how to modify and work on your Bulldog..
I also plan on opening up the transfer port as well. I really like the platform. Made in 'Merica too! Love it!

@smbob You may also want to look at their power spring. If you instal a stiffer hammer spring I thinks it’s also a good idea to grab a steel cocking lever. In my experience the stock handle is susceptible to bending or breaking when used with a stouter spring. I’m interested in what sort of shot count you’ll get with an extended reservoir and larger TP.

Reactions: smbob
@smbob You may also want to look at their power spring. If you instal a stiffer hammer spring I thinks it’s also a good idea to grab a steel cocking lever. In my experience the stock handle is susceptible to bending or breaking when used with a stouter spring. I’m interested in what sort of shot count you’ll get with an extended reservoir and larger TP.
Those two things are going to be the next mods.

Took the Bulldog out to the Desert today. It was HOT! 95 degrees at 7:30 A.M.
I forgot my shooting bags, so I had to make do with the bipod. All groups were at 50 yards.
I tried some new ammo. 81gr JSB Domes, GT Bullets .358 130gr cast HP, GT Bullets .356 145gr cast HP
JSB 81gr Domes were going the right speed at 883 fps. They didn't group very well. The Polymags group way better!
The GT 130gr cast HP's did really well. 735 fps for 156 ft lbs 5 shots at 1.25" Throw out the 1 flyer and the other 4 were at 1" I ordered some more 130gr HP's in .357 We'll see how those do.

8cX88Eil.jpg

The GT 145gr cast HP's didn't group very well. I'll use those in my .38 snubbie.
Next time I will bring my shooting bags. The new Buck Rail moderator worked great!
Headed back home at 9:30 temp was 104 by then.
Your cast HP 145gr. is it NLG or LG