Took My Daughter To The Range…

The kids are out of school this week and today’s weather was awesome here in MA. After breakfast I decided to head to the range and have some fun with my new Edgun Leshiy 2. 

I loaded up the Jeep and to my surprise here comes my wife and my twin daughters; I was extremely happy. We took the drive out to the shooting range and were greeted by the RSO and a few other shooters. 
I pulled out my Texan in .457, Impact M3 in .357 and my Leshiy2 in .30 and watched as everyone came over to see what the hell I was getting ready to shoot. The back door opens and out jumps one of the twin’s with a huge smile on her face. She says hello to everyone and then just listens to me explain each one of the rifles and their capabilities.

My daughter walks out with me as we set up our targets at the 35, 50 and 100 yard markers. As we’re walking back she tells me she’s ready to shoot! Once we get back to the bench I start off with the Texan and tell her to watch my technique and to pay attention to my movements and what I do.

Well, the RSO and the group next to me just stood there and watched me shoot my first group with the Texan and couldn’t believe the accuracy but also just how loud it was. I switched over to the M3 and switched to the 50 yard target and ate the center of the target. The folks next to me had a spotting scope and just kept saying, “hit, center”; I was feeling good and glad I made my daughter proud.

Lastly I switch over to the Leshiy 2 and call my daughter over. I empty the magazine in the 35yard target and say now its your turn. She’s been to the range with me previously and has taken a hunter safety course but has never fired a rifle. She sits down, she’s a lefty, and the Leshiy 2 fit her like a glove.

She took her time and I was so proud of her and so happy with the club members for their encouragement and help; they made her feel so welcome and happy. Needless to say we made some new friends and I was even asked to become an RSO as well. Man, did this make me feel happy. I was so happy for my daughter and she already asked when were going back. We got some more information on events for kid’s and I opened up some eyes and minds to what an Air Rifle is and can do.

21426B4C-D042-4D28-BDC9-3685A15A8F4C.1645651749.jpeg

This is her 35yard group with the Leshiy 2 600mm barrel with Donnyfl Ronin shooting 50.2gr JSB pellets at 968 fps, yes that’s a high fps but it’s tuned for 54gr slug’s. I left the tune as the pellets were actually grouping well for me at 50 and 75yards.

Also a great example of how the people who run and attend to the range can influence the future of our sport.

I've been on both sides of the situation- once where someone from the range ran up, slapped the side of my 4Runner, yelling "slow down" and proceeded to make the first 15 minutes of our time at the range unbearable. The speed limit was 15 mph, and I was in 1st gear, crawling along at 10 mph. I was told that the guy often flew off the handle for no reason and to forget him, but my son was in tears and we had to leave. 

The next time was slightly better, at least initially, but the caustic interaction during the cease fires- having to listen to how incredible the RSO's shooting ability was, how much more superior his guns and scopes are- just colored the event as a future non starter. I was there to shoot, paying good money, and had a limited time to put together some information on my reloads. 

Look, I'm a CRSO, I teach RSO's and I get that some of the people are lonely and are looking for recognition and attention.

They have stories for days on neophytes and "experts" showing up on the line with no idea on what they are doing or possessing the basics of gun safety . That is frightening and it's almost impossible to judge who needs the personal attention vs. the NRA Distinguished expert checking out the place for the first time. Unfortunately, we all look the same when we walk out to our benches.

If we all start from a welcoming point of view and build from there, I know that we can retain many more "first timers". Praise, positivity and listening (!) to the new shooter goes a long way in getting them to return!

I'm glad your daughter enjoyed the visit and hope it leads to a future passion you can both share!