Took a whitetail with .308 AAA Slayer

Awesome success story Derrick; congratulations! Just out of curiosity, wonder how fast that slug was moving on impact Bud? I'm gonna go out on a limb here with a theory.

As another poster mentioned, deer often go farther than your doe went when hit similarly with high-power centerfires. I'm guessing they are hit so hard (violently) that they get an adrenaline surge, so take off in full-flight panic. However, and like some videos I've seen of animals that take pass-through broabhead-arrows and react like your doe did, they don't realize they've been shot, so don't get the adrenaline-surge and resultant panicked run. They probably wonder, "What was that?", then bleed out and go to sleep. Pretty danged peaceful way to go really; quite humane.

Good Show,

Ron R

P.S.- I assume that .30 Slayer violates BRS rules parameters... by magnitudes!

Hello Ron. I think the Slayer will comply with the BRS rules just fine 😛. I want to destroy those freaking turkeys, lol.

Strelok is indicating that the slug should be traveling at 886 at 100 yards:

1545078503_20951955525c1806e77f4f34.96701431_3C1C4909-BAD9-4A09-8DF5-18ED653D7A12.jpeg

Hey Ron, bud how are you? 

Derrick’s data is right on. We’re both shooting 990 fps MV (215 fpe). The secret BC and drag profile I used for EBR puts Derrick’s .308 Slayer at 180 fpe upon Impact at 90 yards! 

I’ve killed two deer with mine. One made it 50 yards and the other was DRT (head shot) Also, you are absolutely correct - Airguns don’t startle and adrenalize deer like a PB. It is, like you said, as if they don’t even realize they’ve been shot. By the time they do, hypovolemic shock sets in, they lose consciousness and the heart stops. A lot like archery, as you mentioned. 

Brian 

Hi Brian. I notice you lurking 'round here a good bit Bud. Between you and Derrick, obviously they don't screen membership well. Just kidding, y'all!

Would I know your other partner in crime (alias- Bullfrog)? I am curious about post-mortem terminal ballistics; thanks Bullfrog. Suffice to say the depth of knowledge and expertise on this site is impressive.

Have to confess surprise aplenty that a .30 airgun slug is so effective at such extended range with a chest shot, but your explanation makes good sense. Some old hippie might relate it to quaaludes- you feel a little tingling, then next thing you know you can't stay awake! That's another joke, y'all.

Here's hoping my writing "skills" are good enough to convey humor, lest some that don't know me take anything I say (write) seriously!

Hi Brian. I notice you lurking 'round here a good bit Bud. Between you and Derrick, obviously they don't screen membership well. Just kidding, y'all!

Would I know your other partner in crime (alias- Bullfrog)? I am curious about post-mortem terminal ballistics; thanks Bullfrog. Suffice to say the depth of knowledge and expertise on this site..

Hi Ron,

Travis (Bullfrog) was instrumental in getting Airguns legalized for Deer in Florida. Down there, they are delicately built, with very thin hides and not much fat. Picture an 8 month old Great Dane with antlers, lol. FL allows .30 cal and up (PCP), with no fpe stipulations. I initially disagreed, but I’ve since proven him right!! Great guy, I think the two of you would get along well. Just don’t tell him about your pre-field target goat ritual. 😂

Brian

Get your lies straight, Brian! That business about my "pre-field target goat ritual" is totally ridiculous. It'a my POST field target ritual!

FYI, sheep can't hold their liquor nearly as well as goats (so are a cheaper 'date').

Oops, my bad. I swear you told me the goats were part of a preparatory ritual. I guess they were used more in a post match celebratory role, since you usually win. Either way, those are some lucky goats, you old stud! 😂