• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Too tough squirrels

You might have shot them in the head but clearly not the brain, it’s a very small target. I would highly recommend going for a good vital shot which will drop them in less then 10 yards with much bigger kill zone. I have made a few “head shots” myself that needed follow up shot, unless I’m 100% certain of a brain shot I would only take a vital shot. Just advice from experience.

Last edited:
This does happen. They are tough! I call this an NLP....non lethal perforation. We too, have red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks that come looking for the buffet.
Hawk Snatches Skverl 1 20220706.jpg

Hawk Snatches Skverl 3 20220706.jpg

Hawk Snatches Skverl 5 20220706.jpg

I practiced shooting avocado pits/seed which is about the size of their melons, having always been a headshot guy. But alas I too switched over to the much quicker easier heart/lung area. My best shooting fest so far has been nine squirrels in about 45 minutes. Our birds were very happy with their still warm takeout orders, the squirrel community not so much.

Last edited:
I have hit three squirrels with head shots that spun them 360 degrees and they were still able to run off. I have some very disappointed red shouldered hawks as a result.
Using an Air Arms S510 in .25 caliber and top pressure in the gun and 16.54 grain tin pellets.

Any suggestions other than going to lead?
From how far out were you shooting?
Here are a couple of threads that I found helpful in discussing brain shot placement.

This specifically deals with squirrels and contains graphic photos https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/brain-shots.1198442/

Personally, practicing shooting targets with pictures of the animals I intended to hunt helps me. Some members think otherwise, but I find it helpful with shot placement. The target below comes from a multipack (Crosman Varmint Targets) and cost around $5 for a pack of 20 - 4 different animals, 5 targets per animal.
9C7E806B-A1BA-46EC-A758-6FEBAED621AB.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: qball and Feinwerk
I think he was looking for suggestions aside from switching to lead pellets.
Correct, it’s in his original post at the very bottom. If I remember correctly, in a separate thread he had mentioned leaving the dead squirrels for resident hawks and didn’t want them consuming any lead that might be left over in the carcass.

Reactions: SHOMER
I usually opt for head shots. But in the case of this one, it was hiding up in a tree behind some leaves, so I approximated.
25 gr. JSB, .25 cal @ 860 fps, 35 yds.
View attachment 274362
Ouch! At least it killed it. Grey squirrels that I've missed on a vital shot have lived to be shot another day. I can't believe how tough they are. Now when I use polymags they end up looking something like that pic lol.

Reactions: Mr.H