Too much time with PCP's, My HW50S Project

I have been spending too much time with my new PCP's, time to return to my 1st love, Springers.

Wanted to upgrade my HW50S in 177, a little twangy but I love the size, trigger and accuracy.

So I did some research and decided to open her up and tune and install a ARH Indoor Plinkers KIt.

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251488/1159287.htm

Jim said I could expect maybe 700 fps which is perfect for my plinking needs.

So I watched a few vids on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQCoCC-1AC8&list=PL73C03090BFAA54F9&index=71&t=103s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtF063ljJc&list=PL73C03090BFAA54F9&index=72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZZDIpN1uHs&list=PL73C03090BFAA54F9&index=71

It was no problem doing the tune and no spring compressor needed for the HW50S. 

I did also look up post on lubbing springers and they were very helpful. My seal now goes in so smooth with no hangups.

after about 25 break in shots I ran over the FX chrono with its pellet of choice HN FTT 4.51 and this is the string.

Notes: HW50s HN FTT 4.51

Shot count: 11

Low: 696

Hi: 705

Avg: 700

Spread: 9

STD Dev: 3.2

I also ordered a Walnut stock from Custom Stocks LTD and it came right before Christmas, it is beyond my expectations!!

IMG_7364.1641069718.jpg
IMG_7382.1641069719.jpg
IMG_7383.1641069720.jpg
IMG_7384.1641069721.jpg
IMG_7385.1641069725.jpg
IMG_7388.1641069731.JPG

Target is 7 shots from my indoor range 17 yds.

The spring kit from ARH is a game changer, an amazing transformation!

Conversion rate to usd is at roughly $340 after shipping. https://www.customstock.co.uk/product/cs500-sporter-air-rifle-stock/  (HW99 overseas)

Wanted to note the light doesnt do the wood on mine justice. You can see towards the top more what it actually looks like. Pretty decent chatoyance on the whole thing.

Does the HW30 go by a different model name in UK like the HW50/99? It appears they don't have an option for the HW30?

I really like my HW30 but the stock doesn't fit me great. I can deal with the cheek weld and length of pull but the swept back grip is a bit much for me. The more vertical grip and thumb rest for your HW50 looks like it would be really comfortable.

I've been thinking about an HW50 anyways so the availability of this stock will likely just push me over the edge.

Reactions: Bolillo
I do not think that the HW30 has a different name overseas, it is odd they do not make one for the HW30.

Get a HW50S, you will not be disappointed and will have a little more power.

It seems that the knock on the 50 is the cocking effort is high for the power level, I think that is really not an issue for me.

I'm not worried about the cocking effort nor do I think it will bother my 12 year old. But out of curiosity, did the indoor plinkers kit change the cocking effort?

I will probably start with 22 which I know the indoor plinkers kit isn't made for but if I like the rifle and aftermarket stock I could see a second HW50 in 177 replacing our HW30 as our main basement rifle.

I keep thinking I need to decide if I'm getting out of PCPs before getting an HW50 but the other side of my brain says just get one and see if it's "good enough" to justify selling the PCPs. First world problems.

I do not think that the HW30 has a different name overseas, it is odd they do not make one for the HW30.

Get a HW50S, you will not be disappointed and will have a little more power.

It seems that the knock on the 50 is the cocking effort is high for the power level, I think that is really not an issue for me.

I'm not worried about the cocking effort nor do I think it will bother my 12 year old. But out of curiosity, did the indoor plinkers kit change the cocking effort?

I will probably start with 22 which I know the indoor plinkers kit isn't made for but if I like the rifle and aftermarket stock I could see a second HW50 in 177 replacing our HW30 as our main basement rifle.

I keep thinking I need to decide if I'm getting out of PCPs before getting an HW50 but the other side of my brain says just get one and see if it's "good enough" to justify selling the PCPs. First world problems.

I vary between springers and PCPs. I like springers better for plinking and PCPs better for pesting.

HW30s is one of my favorites. I don't know why you'd want an HW50s for basement target shooting or plinking over an HW30s. The OP here pretty much just down-tuned his HW50s into a slightly larger HW30s. Going to .22 for a plinker or target gun doesn't make sense either; you'll double your pellet cost for no good reason.

If you're going to get another springer, branch out into something different. Maybe one of the old Feinwerkbau side lever cocking target springers from the 70s or 80s... Maybe a down-tuned Diana 48...

OP - Great-looking gun. Great shooter, too!

HW30s is one of my favorites. I don't know why you'd want an HW50s for basement target shooting or plinking over an HW30s. The OP here pretty much just down-tuned his HW50s into a slightly larger HW30s. Going to .22 for a plinker or target gun doesn't make sense either; you'll double your pellet cost for no good reason.

If you're going to get another springer, branch out into something different. Maybe one of the old Feinwerkbau side lever cocking target springers from the 70s or 80s... Maybe a down-tuned Diana 48...

I currently pest with a single shot Leshiy. I much prefer handling and loading the larger pellets when I'm rushing to get set up for a pest. The HW50 in 22 cal would be a test to see if I'm willing to give up all of my PCP's and the associated equipment for pesting. 

I would only get rid of the HW30 if I couldn't find an aftermarket stock I liked. I'm sure it's out there, I just haven't found it yet. The stock shown in this thread looks perfect for me and seems to be available without significant lead time. And knowing me I'd keep the HW30 regardless.

I have been meaning to look into other options for a springer. If I end up selling all of my PCPs I guarantee you I will be trying a lot of different springers. Diana 48 was already on my list as was a side lever in general.

I actually shoot the HW50 outdoors mostly only use my indoor range for tuning and playing. I prefer the HW50 over the HW30 actually even detuned I believe it has more power than the 30. 

Also, the custom stock would not have been available for the HW30.

I do not have it in 22 it is a 177 (I think 22 is underpowered in the 50 for me)

I have several other springers one of my favs is an AA Pro Elite in 22 tuned by Paul Watts, I love it but it is so heavy.

Also an older BSA SS in 177 tuned by Russel Best (my first springer) nice, but I have come to like the HW50 better.