• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Too much stuff

1681394572756.png

I have 5 PCP’s, two springers, two tanks, two compressors, 18 fishing rods and reels, 3 metal detectors etc. etc. How did I get to this point? Why do I think I need all this stuff? Any ideas? Oh well.

You're the victim of both excellent marketing and your own human nature. You really will be happier without so much stuff to drag through life.

I recommend turning off the television because it trains you to spend money on things you don't need. Like Bud Light...

J~

I have 5 PCP’s, two springers, two tanks, two compressors, 18 fishing rods and reels, 3 metal detectors etc. etc. How did I get to this point? Why do I think I need all this stuff? Any ideas? Oh well.
Add some small engine tool joy. Nothing quite like a full range of pro grade chainsaws and splitter to keep you warm.

I can relate, though not quite match the numbers, only 3 air rifles, and one ( big ) compressor in the mail so just need one, but in the 90ties i fished a lot and i might be very close to 18 rods but not a reel for each of them.

I am 0 for metal detectors, though over here in very old country you can find some rally nice stuff in the ground,,,,, even if it is generally illegal to keep it, but there is a finders fee.

This could be gold coins like these minted in Tunisia around the year 1000.

sk0414-030-gulddenar-fig3-web-1.jpg

Or other things owned or made by the people that really discovered the Americas and not that "Spanish " peacock.

6bcd16fd8e680245fbb5a1fc26adaa17.jpg

imagescaler

Danish detector folks, when they hit it big time.
imagescaler

Of course using just your eyes you can find stuff that date back to the stone age so no beeping when you are near those.

As a bonus you can take your UV light to a Danish beach after a storm, and find nuggets of Amber, which was one of our major trading commodities in the way old days.
rav-1024x768.jpg

I can relate, though not quite match the numbers, only 3 air rifles, and one ( big ) compressor in the mail so just need one, but in the 90ties i fished a lot and i might be very close to 18 rods but not a reel for each of them.

I am 0 for metal detectors, though over here in very old country you can find some rally nice stuff in the ground,,,,, even if it is generally illegal to keep it, but there is a finders fee.

This could be gold coins like these minted in Tunisia around the year 1000.

sk0414-030-gulddenar-fig3-web-1.jpg

Or other things owned or made by the people that really discovered the Americas and not that "Spanish " peacock.

6bcd16fd8e680245fbb5a1fc26adaa17.jpg

imagescaler

Danish detector folks, when they hit it big time.
imagescaler

Of course using just your eyes you can find stuff that date back to the stone age so no beeping when you are near those.

As a bonus you can take your UV light to a Danish beach after a storm, and find nuggets of Amber, which was one of our major trading commodities in the way old days.
rav-1024x768.jpg
very cool

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up and for the comments that followed ...I feel right at home :)

After a lifetime of buying, selling, trading and upgrading I think I'm about where I want to be. I've enough tools, archery stuff, airgun equipment, fishing gear and miscellaneous odds and sods to keep me entertained through my retirement.

There's always a couple of outstanding items on the bucket list though ;)

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
"How did I get to this point? Why do I think I need all this stuff?"

You got to this point by mistaking "want" for "need". The only time you NEED A GUN is when/if you NEED to defend your life. Hence, since airguns are the wrong tool(s) for that, no-one needs any airguns. That's why I own only 30-50 at any given time; because that's how many I WANT.

Last edited:
I’m 74. And I always try to remember that old adage of “the idea is not to own all the toys, it’s the play with all the toys,” , and over the years as I banged into things that I decided I wanted to get into wheatherit was riding motorcycles Fly fishing collecting old walnut and steel Winchesters, getting divorced, three times lol, and most recently precision PCPs. I gradually have sold off the gear from the previous obsessive-compulsive endeavors, kept a few of the best , got rid of the rest, and use the money to help offset buying the new toys. Doesn’t always work, but it’s something to think about. And if you seriously think when you’re looking at waider bag and find a pair of old waiters, you haven’t seen in three years that you’re ever going to use them again , well, you’re just not gonna do it.
Good luck with your walk through your constitutional right to collect clutter😉

Reactions: SHOMER
"How did I get to this point? Why do I think I need all this stuff?"

You got to this point by mistaking "want" for "need". The only time you NEED A GUN is when/if you NEED to defend your life. Hence, since airguns are the wrong tool(s) for that, no-one needs any airguns. That's why I own only 30-50 at any given time; because that's how many I WANT.

Some people choose to defend their home with a bow, others with a club, others rely on a home security system and a safe room... you get the picture. People can get very creative when it comes to protecting their family and property, especially if options are limited. Other people like myself appreciate the option of a less lethal approach to self defense. TBH this comment simply isn't based in reality for a lot of people and I would assume many of the members on this forum as well.

You also need a gun for hunting (unless you want to use a bow), and of course the right airgun will be totally adequate for that purpose as well.

Last edited:
Some people choose to defend their home with a bow, others with a club, others rely on a home security system and a safe room... you get the picture. People can get very creative when it comes to protecting their family and property, especially if options are limited. Other people like myself appreciate the option of a less lethal approach to self defense. TBH this comment simply isn't based in reality for a lot of people and I would assume many of the members on this forum as well.

You also need a gun for hunting (unless you want to use a bow), and of course the right airgun will be totally adequate for that purpose as well.

And some people choose to bludgeon their husbands to death with his frozen cat; however that is neither a good tool for the job, nor a good example of good sense.

From occasional comments on this forum I get the impression airguns are sometimes considered for self-defense purposes, mostly by folks living in countries lacking enough sense to allow proper tools for the job; but occasionally in my country by people lacking enough sense to choose a proper tool for the job.

You state a point I only inferred, that being you don't NEED a gun for hunting; because there ARE other good tools for that job, and some folks that might not lack good sense actually prefer to use less efficient hunting tools.

I should probably abstain from commenting on people that choose to defend their home with a bow, others with a club, others rely on a home security system and a safe room...

But you get the picture.

Reactions: moodyblues