Too much spring slows the gun???

Depends on port size , piston weight and spring length. To much spring rarely will make it slower but horrid firing cycle. I’ve worked with .152 wire springs and they could bend a barrel damn near cocking. The same gun was faster with proper weight and port size and seal type with a smaller wire spring. wire size is 1 part of the puzzel. Diameter and coil spacing is the other two.. a .130 wire at 35 coils and 12 inches long is a hell of a lot more powerful than a .135 wire at 35 coils at 11 inches ..
Short strokes, 4 inches and under respond to tad bigger ports and thicker wire and less coils.. long stroke magnums need weight to tame that bounce and respond to bit bigger pots and more coils and pre load. Now seal sizing and type play a role also. .
Normally taking a coil off will net you a 12 to 16 fps loss if nothing is done to load the shorter spring. If spacer is added you will retain most speed at a snappy shot cycle. If added weight can be used then you will get equal speed with a quick firing cycle with a bit of a jolt recoil.
Balancing a springers shot cycle is knowledge. Earned and learned.

Last edited:
I've heard that some people have picked up velocity by clipping coils from their springer. Has anyone actually experienced this without having made any other changes?

I don't understand how this could happen. I've way over sprung guns and every time I cut coils the velocity dropped.

Thanks
Ron
Hey Ron,
I've cut up to two coils before and had very little velocity drop, but Not a velocity gain.
As you know, in many cases cutting a few coils only reduces harshness in an over sprung airgun. You loose maybe 10 fps, but gain 25/40% in shot cycle smoothness and spring/piston harmony/balance.
Sometimes your better off cutting coils and replacing the missing coils with a spacer - shot cycle is less harsh, but power almost unchanged.

I've seen it in the inefficient big diameter guns, like the 30mm HW80, when fitted with deep grooved flexible lip seals. The large swept volume and large piston and heavy spring make for a LOT of braking action form the seal, and slow it considerably.

I haven't noticed it on 25-26mm guns. But admittedly, I don't care for floppy lip seals and almost never use them.