Today's scope I want but probably won't buy: Sig Sauer Tango 6 3-18x44 FFP

zebra

Sep 29, 2015
New York
I'm having one of those days where I wish I had a use for a $1,000+ scope so I thought I would share my scope envy with you guys. 

It isn't often that I see a scope in this price range and actually want it. Most are unsuitable for air guns or unsuitable for non-billionaires but I really like the look of this Tango 6 line from Sig. They retail for $1800+ but can be bought for $1200. 

Specifically, air like the 3-18x44 FFP. For a start, that's the perfect power range for a multi use PCP rifle scope. It focuses down to 25 yards with a side wheel. It looks cool with it's "graphite" finish. The objective lens is only 44" so medium rings might work ok. 

That stuff is all nice but not that unique. Where it gets extra cool is that, apparently, Sig offers to laser etch a custom elevation turret for you to your stated specifications.

For the example, you might provide the ballistics data for the JSB 25gr .25 pellets you use in your rifle and then, instead of having to work stuff out or use notes, for a 50 yard shot, you would just turn the turret to 50 and it would be dead on. For a 75 yard shot, you turn it to the "75" marking. That sounds so simple that even I could use it!

Plus.... I think the illuminated reticle is super double awesome and I despise illuminated reticles usually. It even has motion sensors so it will switch off on it's own if you accidentally leave it on. 

I haven't wanted something that I don't need this much since I saw an ad for a James Bond style one man sub-marine.

"X27"THANKS ALOT Zebra now I want a James Bond style one man sub-marine.
Welcome to my nightmare! I have no possible use for it but it's just so awesome I almost can't stop myself. 

Just picture yourself chatting to your friends in the pub and casually dropping into the conversation that you're going to be taking the sub-marine out his weekend and then showing them the custom turrets on your new Sig Tango 6 scope. This must be how junkies feel when somebody pulls out a large bag of their favorite candy....

You know it's getting out of control when you start planning how you are going to take delivery of the sub and get it to the garage without your wife seeing....

"alex2865"U know mtc came out with something like at the shot show.its pretty nice.alex
I saw them but it didn't do it for me in terms of getting excited about a product. The Sig Tango 6 is a high end FFP scope with premium features and a very cool design. The MTC product is entry-level budget stuff. Their version of the custom turret is sticking a piece of tape around it.

There is nothing wrong with entry level products if you are on a budget. It's just not something you drool over as it's cheap enough to just buy on impulse if you wanted it. 

I found the Sig while researching which FFP scope to buy. I've been looking to upgrade to the next level up. I just can't get used to the idea of buying another SFP now that I have experienced the superior holdover design of the FFP scopes. I just ordered the last Weaver Tactical 4-20x50 mil dot from Midway.

How much do you actually use the variable power though? I can only remember using it to zoom out for the FOV and aquire my target, then zoom back in. With my fixed power the FOV is pretty good and I don't miss variable power at all so far. Just don't see the point ta add the extra lenses and weight. I would also like to get into clicking / dialing my scope, that would be cool

"Erik"How much do you actually use the variable power though? I can only remember using it to zoom out for the FOV and aquire my target, then zoom back in. With my fixed power the FOV is pretty good and I don't miss variable power at all so far. Just don't see the point ta add the extra lenses and weight. I would also like to get into clicking / dialing my scope, that would be cool
I use it every time I shoot. 

I wouldn't want a scope that didn't have 4x for hunting. Even for squirrel hunting, I use 4x or 6x for close range (inside 30 yards). I then use the zoom to take squirrels further out. 

If a squirrel is sitting still on a branch at 70 yards and I'm shooting from a rest, I might zoom in to 12x (or more) so I can take a more precise aim and see where the pellet lands.

I've been using FFP scopes lately so there is no disadvantage to changing the power setting. I used the zoom a lot less on my SFP scopes because I couldn't remember the different corrections with more than a few settings. 

Even with SFP, I found a need for both a low and higher power setting. If you have a fixed 10, for example, you need to adjust the parallax for every distance change. On 4 x or 6x, you don't get parallax errors so game doesn't escape while you are messing with your scope.

IMO, the only reason to buy a fixed power is if you can't or won't spend the money to get a reasonable quality variable power. There is no disadvantage to having options but there are plenty of disadvantages to limiting them.

You can get away with fixed power for paper punching but you would still be better off if you can set the optimal power setting for the distance. 

Well in that case lol. I was on the verge of purchasing a march earlier, but have no use for it and found people on forums saying the reticle was too thick. That discouraged me greatly because that's the very reason I sold my last FFP within two months of owning it.

But if I ever feel the need to start changing the mag, I'll give this one a look for sure. Sexy scope, how much does it weigh in grams? I hate heavy scopes but 3-18 sounds like a sweet power range

"Erik"Well in that case lol. I was on the verge of purchasing a march earlier, but have no use for it and found people on forums saying the reticle was too thick. That discouraged me greatly because that's the very reason I sold my last FFP within two months of owning it.

But if I ever feel the need to start changing the mag, I'll give this one a look for sure. Sexy scope, how much does it weigh in grams? I hate heavy scopes but 3-18 sounds like a sweet power range
I don't know which FFP you tried but they definitely don't all have overly thick reticles.

In fact, the ones I have used have reticles for that were super thin on lower power settings and, for the most part, that is what you need to use with air gun shots.

Even on my PA 4-14x44, the reticle is not noticeably thicker than my SFP scopes (even on the highest power setting). 

The reticle only gets bigger on an FFP scope when the target gets bigger so it doesn't cost you any precision if used right. It never covers a target that my air rifle is capable of hitting.

You have to assume that people complaining about a super expensive scope like any March will either be nit-picking or people that don't know what they are talking about. In my experience, a reticle being too thick is a sign of the wrong power setting being used for the distance or people assuming their gun is capable of more precision than it really is.

On the highest setting, the reticle on mine isn't covering the squirrels eyes at any distance I could shoot at. There is no airgun that I know of that is capable of greater precision than that at 50 yards plus. 

If you had an air rifle that did 1" groups at 100 yards every single time, that would be exceptional would it not? Or 1/2" at 50 every time. My reticle isn't even close to covering a 1/2" or even a 1/4" target at 50 yards (or even an 1/8"), even at double the correct power setting.

Weight is a different matter. I used to be like you and only want lighter scopes. I just got tired of compromising on everything else to get it though. My compromise now is that I have light scopes on my smaller guns like the Mutant Shorty (a 13oz Clearidge) and I buy scopes without compromise for guns I want longer range accuracy with. 

Most (although not all) FFP scopes are a little heavier. My PA 4-14x44 is 21oz (the same as the SWFA fixed 10x). The Weaver Tactical I have on the way is 27oz but it has a 50mm objective lens. The SWFA 3-15x42 FFP is 23oz.

I have been compensating for the extra weight by using lighter stocks when needed. The extra weight is usually a good thing when I shoot from a rest though. 

Which brings me back to this: a fixed 10x is not a good hunting scope and most target shooting is done from some type of rest where more weight helps. 

If you did ever ever want to try another FFP, now is the time to do it. Natchezz has a sale on the Weaver tactical scopes. The 3-15x50FFP mil dot is $570 which is the only good deal I have ever seen on a new high mid-level scope. It's comparable to a Leupold MK4 in glass quality. The 4-20x50 is on sale for $700 there. They also have a few of the SFP Super Slam line (which is the same as the tactical but sfp) for $500 or less for the 4-20x50. There was an enhanced mil dot version on EBay for $650 new too. 

I target shoot, but not off a bench. I'm not in America so a scope from there would have to be bought by someone else and shipped to me but I'm pretty sure it is against the law to ship scopes outside the US for some reason. My shooting is done in what I can only describe as a hunting situation but paper is usually the target.

I like the ability to use my air guns to both hunt and target shoot.

I don't enter matches or anything like that because they don't have any events I could use my air guns at where I live but I still enjoy practicing by shooting targets at various distances.

Basically, if I pay $1500 for an airgun I want to be able to use it for whatever I feel like on the day. Even if I don't do something currently, I like to know that I could in the future if the need arose. 

I guess this is why I like the idea of a multi-use scope. If I need a 4x for hunting, no problem. If I need 15x or 20x so I can see the pellet holes at 100 yards or 120yards, no problem.

I have to disagree with you that 10x is not a good power for hunting. I have several variable hawke power scopes and I have mostly used 10x when I hunt. Because of this I bought a fixed 10x scope and have found its perfect for hunting.

I have read in to fixed powered scopes and have found one of the biggest pluses is they are very rugged because of less moving parts which is great for long hunting excursions. Other pluses is the glass is usually higher quality

No way. A fixed 10 is a compromise for hunting. At 10x you have to adjust the parallax for every shot which means there will be times where game escapes while you are messing around with the focus dial.

This is not a matter of opinion. It's pure fact. Just because you use a 10x for hunting (and like it) doesn't make a fixed 10 a good scope recommendation for a hunter. 

I have seen a lot of people recommend a fixed 4 for hunting larger game and that would make sense. 

For small game hunting you want at least a 3-9 to give the appropriate options for scope isecto be optimal. 

As for being more rugged, that depends on the scope maker. You get more rugged by buying better scopes. People do just fine with variable power on powerful centerfires and springers so there really is no issue for PCP use. 

Messing around with parallax? I don't know how you adjust parallax but it certainly doesn't take long enough to get a clear picture for it to be called messing around IMO. I have the rear tube focus on my SWFA 12x42 with a nylon coaster on it. By far the best parallax system I have ever used. Side focus has nothing on it. It is super easy and super quick, no issues and no "messing around" So close to you as well, with SF you (or I anyways) have to reach out for it, the Rear focus I adjust with my right hand wich is much easier and not possible with SF.

Just my 2 cents

I have a Sig Tango6 3-18x44 FFP with MRAD reticle. I got mine for a steal of a deal at $1000 on eBay which was hard to pass up. The quality of the scope it top notch. The glass is crystal clear and the reticle illumination intuitive. The reticle when zoomed in at 18x does seems to have slightly thicker subtensions than my US Optics LR 17 but nothing to be concerened with. It's a versatile scope that i used with my PCP airguns as well as on my powderburners. It's currently mounted to my SCAR-17.

Some pics:

Zoomed at 18x with target at 50 yards with heavy heat waves and less than ideal camera focus. Notice center of reticle allows for non-obstructive view of target. Note each circle is .5" wide.