Today's chipper - look at that bald spot!

Got a shot at two chippers today, the first one I thought it was a clean head shot. It seemed that way at first, but after a minute, he ran straight to his hole and was gone. I checked where he was laying and found a small amount of blood, so I must have just hit him with a grazing shot that knocked his senses for a loop for a few moments. Years ago, I had a squirrel do the same thing when the 1322 I was shooting literally bounced a wadcutter fired backward off the top of his head. He jumped and twitched and then shook it off and was gone ... I found that pellet and it was folded over with some hair trapped in it. Maybe something similar happened this time, even though I wasn't firing the pellet (a Crow Magnum) backward this time.

The second one was entirely better. A solid hit on the left shoulder that passed through, exiting behind the right leg, DRT. I'm pretty sure the Crow Magnum smashed his shoulder assembly from the way the shoulder area looked when I took a closer look at him. Too, I noticed something I had never seen before. There was very little blood, but there was a large circle, almost a half-inch across, where the hair was all gone. Like someone had taken a razor and shaved a 1/2" circle of hair around the entrance wound. 

I'm shooting the 392 with 5 pumps instead of 8, so I'm wondering if the lower power level is not letting the pellet cut quickly though the skin and is causing it to pull the skin along into the wound and stripping the hair as it goes? Well, here is the pic, tell me what you think.

bald spot.1602451612.jpg

It’s a small chipmonk so it definitely will pass through but the wounds made by 25 hades at 550FPS is straight up carnage!!! 

then again the chipmonks are so small even .177 would be overkill. I’ve gotten them with .177 CPHP at 600FPS/sub 6 FPE and still tore them up big time! But if I shoot them at 850fps then most of the time it’s 2 tiny holes. More power isn’t always better! Just easier to shoot because of the flatter trajectory.