To those that like to be rude or hate "stupid questions"

Thanks, Willie, another useful post! Yeah, too many times I see the smart guys(being sarcastic) pop off a smart answer(sarcastic again) to a very obvious newb. Just on another area of our forum a guy was inquiring about where to locate an item cause UAG did not have them in stock. A smart guy chimes in with a smart remark and says “have you not ever heard of google?” 

My answer to that is, how many of you have elders that are able to still enjoy a hobby like this, but no nothing about searching the net? How do we know that person inquiring, wasn’t one of those? Something to think about. 

I left the diesel forums, cause if someone asked about how to adjust the valves on a 12 valve Cummins, the comments were “this has been hashed over many times, use the search feature”. Got tired of that really. 90% of the time I reached out to those folks via pm, and taught them either how to outright do the task, or how to navigate thru the forum to do a search, for future use. Think about it. With the rise of economical PCP’s in hopes of getting more folks into the hobby, the question of “how do you adjust the hammer spring tension on a Marauder” will still come up. If you wanna answer it, be helpful and don’t tell them this is old news, do your research. If you’re one of those easily annoyed that it’s been asked since 2010, then don’t pipe in.

Pm’s- I think it’s our duty to reply back to them if they are honest questions. If a person inquires about a reg setting, for example, at least answer by saying trade secret if you don’t wanna tell someone, but don’t just ignore the fella. I understand ignoring the rude ones that try and push you into selling an item of yours on the classifieds, when you specifically said “price is firm and no trades” in your ad. 

Simple stuff, guys. Treat others how you wanna be treated.

I will say Willie, I don’t see anything wrong with recommending the search function (as long as done respectfully) I have done it many times. Fact is, there’s a wealth of knowledge to be had from previous threads and many smart folk here. Answering a question with only my perceived knowledge, would be short changing that person. Sometimes I remember the fact that there are some threads with that information, yet I may not remember the actual info. Anyways, my 0.02 😃 

I’ve been here a few years. Everything I know about air guns I learned here. Folks are quite considerate I think.

Two days ago I posted the first reply in my hundreds, that I worried would be considered harsh. Luckily readers didn’t take it so. I was just feeling that those of us who are American consumers of greater than 12fpe were being slighted a bit although the OP did not intend that at all.

By the way what does SSG mean?

Here you go, one I made earlier 

1576364016_13476700795df567f043aed8.25454092_348C6AF3-704D-4D4B-BF3F-B4860129D142.jpeg
1576364016_18963685515df567f09cda84.99185794_B836853C-2AE0-43C2-9D30-461EE5F1C1B7.jpeg

Bb 😊 

I will say Willie, I don’t see anything wrong with recommending the search function (as long as done respectfully) I have done it many times. Fact is, there’s a wealth of knowledge to be had from previous threads and many smart folk here. Answering a question with only my perceived knowledge, would be short changing that person. Sometimes I remember the fact that there are some threads with that information, yet I may not remember the actual info. Anyways, my 0.02
1f603.svg

Ok here is a silly couple of questions.....how do you use the search function, I never know what boxes I need to tick because I don’t know what section the answer will be in?

and is there a way access my previous posts?

Bb

Ok here is a silly couple of questions.....how do you use the search function, I never know what boxes I need to tick because I don’t know what section the answer will be in?

and is there a way access my previous posts?

Bb

Click on the Search, type the target word/s in the box, click on the section you are interested in (say PCP) click and choose if searching the key word in the Topics, or the Body. Click search. That’s as best as I know how to use it. 

Click on the little red lines up there, then look for the My Topics.
1576370248_11758141685df580489cd8b1.01009394_AFEF8FEC-6939-477D-BE91-599669C814BF.jpeg

1576370230_21135465275df58036c06533.51537713_FB6EA1F9-A6BA-48DA-9696-7304B6B1A397.jpeg

1576370210_6258998255df58022695463.39291925_D7B1EB6B-0C3A-4FAF-A234-F3409046AA11.png

I read it all. Good stuff. I’m new to the forum and forums in general. I didn’t see a introduce yourself button so let me do that now. Hi all I’m a newbie to pcp’s so I may ask questions at times. Kinda jumpy of doing that as I have seen newbies being treated rather poorly (name calling)so I’ve just kept quite hand tried to search the answers on my own. I’m here as I follow Hajimoto and Steve from uTube. Have a great night all. 

I read it all. Good stuff. I’m new to the forum and forums in general. I didn’t see a introduce yourself button so let me do that now. Hi all I’m a newbie to pcp’s so I may ask questions at times. Kinda jumpy of doing that as I have seen newbies being treated rather poorly (name calling)so I’ve just kept quite hand tried to search the answers on my own. I’m here as I follow Hajimoto and Steve from uTube. Have a great night all.

Spyker, don't hesitate to ask, and welcome to the family 

Its the "blue words" - they will get you every time!

As in any subject or hobby there is the "lingo" that needs to be learned to understand the discussions. I call these the "blue words" in deference to the articles in wikipedia where the blue technical terms have pop-up dialogs with explanations. Unfortunately, usually there is no comprehensive glossary of blue words available so learning can be slow.

I really appreciate the help from the knowledgeable people here on AGN who patiently explain the obvious and help me understand things that are new to me. AGN is a special place, seen too many forums where newbies are set upon and ostracized by the "experts" who have forgotten that at one time they need to ask "stupid questions" as well.

So, if you have a question - ASK! Lots of really good people here!

Well here is a stupid question of my own

How in the he$% do you open up a tin of crosman pellets without a can opener, I think they glue the lid on or something!!!!

Sharing a trick I learned because it's not like opening a jar :( I've had a few troublesome ones as well. The secret is extend your thumb on your left hand to make an 'L'. Do the same with your right hand. Hold the bottom of the tin in the 'L' you formed with your left hand and the top of the tin with the reverse 'L' you've formed with your right hand. Twist both hands simultaneously.

I know it sounds really stupid but it works really well and I've only had one tin that this method didn't work on and I had to use channel locks on it.

I feel stupid for suggesting the above but it honestly works.