• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

To polish my barrel ?

I have all the stuff to polish my barrels with, Uragan 177 and the Vulcan 177, But the reason I want to polish my barrels is so I do not have to clean them as often, Seems I shoot my 177 guns a lot , I do not clean the barrels until there is a little off on accuracy, Both guns are super accurate 48 yards is my target range, I seem to be cleaning after two or three tins , Now thats 1000 to 1500 shots ,, You guys that have polished your barrels do they seem not to be needing to be cleaned as often ? My 22 , 25, and 30 caliber may follow but the 177 get a lot of use for now.
Mike

Reactions: Bolillo
Since this will be the first time you have done the procedure, perhaps a few comments on what you can expect. With most barrels, you will feel a significant difference in friction after as few as 10-20 strokes, assuming good firm fit of the felt (or patch) to the bore to give it a good scrub. With small caliber rods, I’m going for a fit that is about as snug as I can reasonably get it without having to worry about the rod buckling on the push stroke.

Anyway, past this initial improvement, I find it difficult to sense further improvement by feel alone. If you can’t detect any difference in the early going, it is reasonable to take it as a clue the bore already has a pretty good surface finish.

BTW, I like to fold a piece of masking tape around the rod near the handle, forming a little flag so to speak. That way I can monitor that the scrubbing action follows the rifling spiral.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and Bolillo
I fire lapped my barrel!! highly recommend
I got one new .25 poly barrel and tinkering to try that fire lap.
I only have the J-B Cleaner paste and waiting from amazon for the J-B Bright arriving next week only. But I have some more aggressive lapping compounds as well (brown and green I guess), a little scared to use those for other then crowning only.
If works good I may re-run on my FX liners as well.

I fire lapped my barrel!! highly recommend
There are many hits on google about "fire lapping" but most people did it first time and now happily posting the "wooow" effects and how they did it - on firearms.
We talking airguns, does the same thing apply?
[B]nervoustrig[/B] mind you chime in, I read several of your posts @ GTA back in time, what is your take on fire lapping? I am not happy with my new barrel, today at my gun range I tried five different amo, and btw yesterday I did a new crown and lead-in as well.

Just a quick up date, I used JB bore paste went through about 6 Mops and a few nylon brushes , Put some tape on the end of the Prophet 177 barrel, Took my time and goofed around took a few hours to polish and clean up.
After about 50 shots I sighted the gun in at 48 yards with JSB 13.43 gr 177 pellets . Funny I had to drop the speed down to below 900 FPS 880 or so. Before the polishing I was shooting at 940 to 960 FPS and doing very good , after the polish it like the slower speed , Played around with some Knock out 13.43 gr slugs, Good grouping but with a limited 48 yard range just no need for the slugs.
Mike

OK update, still shooting the 13.4 JSB at 880-900 Lots of shoots through the polished barrel, Its not more accurate, That would be hard to do as its always been super accurate, No real flyers to date. I did try the knockout slugs at 13.4 gr just because I have them, Dime size group at 30 yards and a quarter size at 48 yards shooting at 860FPS not sure why the drop in FPS as pellets and slugs weigh the same? Also the slug impact was 2 inches low? The pellets stomp the slugs in accuracy, Maybe at 100 yards it would be the other way around but I only have 48 yards for now,,
Pretty well as ole same ole except I did have to lower the FPS a little to get maximin accuracy , 940 to 960 to drop to 880 to 900 FPS is not much, But its still a drop.
Mike