To glue your carbon fiber sleeve or not?

Maybe
I have a back ground in competition model airplane construction. One year I decided to try polyurathane glue rather than epoxie to glue the balsa wood skins to styrofoam. The instructions said to dampen the surface to be glued. Well I applied an equivalent amount as the usual epoxy. The dampness set off the glue which expanded like foam spray insulation. It penetrated deep into the Styrofoam.
My thought is to glue the sleeve in with polyurathane, like Gorilla glue, mixed with some water and let it expand in the sleeve, trim the ends when dry. You would have a presision fit, that is extremely light weight.
You would have to experiment a bit, to get the propertions and mix right, how to center the barrel.
Anyway its a thought.
Maybe try with a piece of copper pipe in some pvc pipe, would help you set up a jig for doing this

Reactions: .20calguy
my Artemis barrels were all a snug fit but i glued one with silicone glue from the crafts store(not hardware store silicone) it's "permanently" glued though silicone is supposed to come off with alcohol or acetone

if you're not aware epoxies are pure bisphenol so take care as that poop will glue itself to your estrogen receptors for life

Reactions: qball
Again I find myself to be the odd-man-out

I'm not a fan of permanent mods where they can't be undone if the need should arise.

I have fit the tube over the liner and centered it so that it does not contact the adapter or liner lock then clean surfaces with brake cleaner.

I apply a tiny amount of 100% silicone caulk to one end of the tube where it contacts the liner and let it cure

Next day, I tip up the assembly in padded jaws and fill the void with silicone oil, clean the end of the tube and barrel and seal with the silicone caulk.

You do you, I'll do me
I had considered a variation of this & using silicone caulk the full length. Regular silicone caulking contains acetic acid (vinegar), and I was concerned about corrosion of the steel. Neutral cure silicone caulk is available that contains no acid and I thought this might be a better solution.
I wonder if filling the space between the liner and the carbon half volume would be better than completely filling it and causing a hydraulically locked situation. I’m thinking here of a sort of a vibration damping effect using the liquid.
Understand that I am just spit-balling here, because I am no more than an armchair scientist/engineer.

How about hot melt glue? Seems it would fill any voids easier and can be removed with hot airgun.
hot melt with out trying i know wont work , unless you bake your Barrel so hot that it wont cool while you make a mess , i just did one to my raw successful , fiberglass resin mixed in a paper plate with a piece of coat hanger wire "NOT TOO HOT " and using a 2 inch disposable hair brush is probably the easiest and best way that i could think of doing it , just be careful and dont be in a hurry , the resin allows enough time to work , be ready with a cloth and acetone, if you dont feel you have the skills for this , send it out , no shame in knowing where you should stop

Reactions: MEC17670
The parts are cheap enough that if you are going to stiffer more solid liner why wouldnt you bond them together??

A liner is $119 and a CF sleeve is $30 so worst case scenario if for some reason you do not like it (which I can not see happening) it is cheap to replace.

That said, I used epoxy and worked great just let it fully cure. I would say 48 hours (prob overkill but u want to make sure its solid)

JBWeld standard set has always been my go to. I drew up a tutorial that I sent a member, and if no one minds, I’ll share it for those that have never epoxied a liner sleeve on before-
View attachment 357880View attachment 357879View attachment 357878View attachment 357877View attachment 357875View attachment 357876View attachment 357881View attachment 357882View attachment 357883View attachment 357884
Did doing this improve groups ? Or what did it actually do for you Bigragu

JBWeld standard set has always been my go to. I drew up a tutorial that I sent a member, and if no one minds, I’ll share it for those that have never epoxied a liner sleeve on before-
View attachment 357880View attachment 357879View attachment 357878View attachment 357877View attachment 357875View attachment 357876View attachment 357881View attachment 357882View attachment 357883View attachment 357884
Really good write up, drawings, & photos. I modified your procedure a bit by applying a thick roll of tape at the muzzle end where the carbon would stop & butt against it. I also started from breech end.. That way the wave of JB pushing out ahead of the carbon wouldn’t obscure the stopping line. I allowed about 3/32” from forward end of carbon to rear of muzzle nut & the tape ensured it was precise.

I use the bonded method, but I also bond steel ends on that overlap Carbon Fibre (official FX Stiffener). Then thread the end. After you can put another bit of Carbon Fibre on as a finish.

a3.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a4.jpg

Reactions: Joedirt199
Did doing this improve groups ? Or what did it actually do for you Bigragu
BB- way back when, I was a(or one of) Ernest’s test pilots for carbon fiber sleeves on the fx liners. I had three fx guns at the time- (2) MK2 wildcats, a 25 cal in 600mm and a 30 cal in 700mm. The third gun was my MK2 impact 25 cal in 700mm. Ernest sent me three liners and a link to a video he made in prepping the liner for epoxy and gluing the liners on. I already knew how each gun shot, which they were all pretty good, so to get even better accuracy I was willing to try. He told me to get back to him with my results, and it would soon be released to the public if it proved helpful.

Long story made short, there’s a reason I’ve epoxied at least 20 liners since then, mainly for folks that send their FX’s to me for service. I have encouraged all of them to get a liner sleeve and have me epoxy it while I had their guns. Since then I’ve acquired another impact, which became my 100 yard bench gun for rmac this year in 30 cal. The gun did me well at scoring third place in the sportsman’s class, out of almost 80 contestants.

I’ve popped flies off of targets at 50 yards and numerous lizards out to a 100 yards. Even shot thru a hanging pulley with a 1/2” shaft hole at a hundred, and shot thru the hole w/o causing the pulley to move. Yes, I’m a big believer in epoxying the liner sleeves. I’ve tried shooting with liners just pushed into a sleeve unglued, and it’s not the same. VETMX, a member here, said it best. Not gluing our liner to the sleeve allows the liner to buzz within the sleeve with each shot, instead of helping to stiffen it even more so with the epoxy.

Reactions: Bobbybeef