To fellow Lightning owners, I bring us hope...

1585159603_9563715435e7b9db32a86b2.96313437.jpeg
Just used the compressor today for its first top off since the compressor rebuild- 7 minutes to go from 3400 psi to 4640 psi. It’s gotten faster, and runs much quieter. 

No piston rings on the low pressure cylinder, just a stainless reed flapper. Not too long ago I read that letting a compressor sit idle is not a good thing as things gum up, especially the low pressure side where it takes in air just thru a paper filter. If any gunk/debris make it into that low pressure head, it’ll cause that flapper reed to stick and not suck in the air it’s suppose too, that’s why I say if I had to do this all over again the first things I’d check are:

1. The two check valves to make sure those aren’t stuck or seized up

2. Check and swap out the gold tower cotton roll filter, and the desiccant media inside the aluminum block(if you do a search on my topics, you’ll see I did a whole write up on servicing the filtration components on the Lightning with pics almost a year ago)

please note- your o ring kit that came with the compressor has every o ring for that thing, but one. It is the green Viton o ring that is inside the gold tower, on a baffle divider that sits on top of the cotton media. Do not tear that, toss it, or stretch it out, as you’ll need it.

3. The low pressure cylinder. If you pull the filter off, stick your thumb on the intake hole, it should be a strong suction, not a slight. If it’s weak, that tells you that’s the problem in not building pressure. Coolant flows thru that cylinder, and the coolant is sealed off from the air side by a RTV type seal only. In my tread I linked on this post to the OP, I show that I used anaerobic sealant made by Permatex . Good stuff, stays flexible, just make sure and give it time to cure before running coolant thru the system.

Save dismantling the second stage, high pressure cylinder for last. The piston rings are split rings. No special tool needed, if your piston is below and not on the upstroke, just quickly bump the compressor by turning the switch on for a fraction of a second.

If it does need new rings, carefully slip them on, make sure and stagger the seams 180 degrees from each other, and apply a light coat of assembly lube on the rings and piston, so it gives them a fighting chance the minute the compressor gets turned on, with instant lube.

Good luck on the rebuild.