To Crosman, or not to Crosman, that is the question....

@all you gents who claim better accuracy with the Crosman pellets over the JSBs. More accurate at what distances? That would help. In my experience the Crosman Premiers 14.3 can shoot tight groups, but then there’s those flyers. For me the JSB Exact Jumbo 18s are the standard for consistent, repeatable accuracy. I’ve shot many tins of Crosmans and JSBs, the JSBs have been more consistently accurate, producing much tighter groups from 40 to 60 yards. At 100 yards?, no contest, JSBs all the way. Depends on the gun some say, but good pellets are apt to shoot accurately out of many PCPs.

What I wonder about is this: the crosman pellets have obvious manufacturing flaws, easy to see without magnification, i think I can see the physical defects that lead to the flyers. This is the only brand of pellet that I have bought that has visibly obvious casting problems. I see casting seams and they are not the same from pellet to pellet. it's like their molds don't quite seal along the edges or something.

Contrast this with jsb or h and n pellets that are all essentially seamless and perfectly cast or selected.

x2 on the defects. Pronounced parting lines and mold flashing are typical. They sometimes group surprisingly well in spite of it, and I’m getting better results from their recent production (2019-2020) than those the previous 5 years from 2014-2018. At least good enough for mini-sniping things like Mardi Gras beads at 30 yards, and therefore good enough for making confident brain shots on gray squirrels. By 50 yards though they diverge to the point that I generally get frustrated and reach for something better. And some of the batches that are good enough for 30 yards on small reactive targets will sometimes produce inexplicable fliers that prevent me from using them for small game.

All my comments here are with respect to the .177 and .22 domes and hollow points, including the boxed .177s. Everything else I’ve tried—their wadcutters or gimmick pellets like the Destroyers and Piranhas—have almost always proven insufficiently accurate for my purposes.

From a sales and marketing perspective, the space they occupy seems to be a pellet priced low enough to earn a spot on Walmart shelves, while being better quality than the Gamo and Daisy pellets that camp out next to them. Nothing wrong with that.

I did a comparison just yesterday with my TalonSS in 22 at 25 yards. I shot Crosman HPs, H&N FFTs, and JSB RS and they all were pretty close to the same as far as the groups go. They were all under 1/2". A couple of groups the JSBs were a hair tighter. Just my 2 cents.

Stretch it out to 50 yards, then post up your results... at 25 yards many pellets shoot tight. It is a very short distance to gain meaningful insight as to what groups tighter as the yardage increases. At 50 yards things start to sort out visibly. That said, I do plink very small targets, ex: chalk pieces, black walnut husk, etc. out to 60 yards with the Crosman Premiers. I get a many first round hits from 40 to 60 yards. But when shooting for groups at 40 to 50 yards. I’ve encountered consistent flyers, which kill what would otherwise be good groups. I’ve come to appreciate the consistent accuracy of the JSB Exact Jumbo 18s. Yes I get occasional flyers, but they are few and far between.

"From a sales and marketing perspective, the space they occupy seems to be a pellet priced low enough to earn a spot on Walmart shelves, while being better quality than the Gamo and Daisy pellets that camp out next to them"

for this they are perfect. I bought a cheap tin of Winchester domed pellets. They all look perfect but their sizes were all over the place. Some fell into the breech, others had to be forced. Just very random. The crosmans seem to have consistent diameter which is worth something for sure.