To cold to shoot. Weather Report.

1f44d-1f3fb.svg
On snowmobiling, used to go in U.P. Of Mi. And ride all day/night for three days made a few trips from Kinross to Marquette back a few yrs. ago we didn’t even think or worry about Temps!

Always wanted to ride in the U.P or Northern Wisconsin but that’s not going to happen anymore due to health.

Decades ago I took up cross-country skiing while living within spitting distance of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Great trails crisscross the backside of the dunes and cross the extremely rare bogs that exist in the low areas between dune ranks. Once went out when the ambient temp was -10 F and wind chill took the effective temp to well below -25 F but the dunes offered pretty good protection from the wind. Layered up and wore a bright yellow wool watch cap for an hour's ski. Only sounds were the wind in the trees and the skis on the snow; didn't see a soul the whole time I was there. When I returned to my car and sat behind the wheel I almost jumped out of my skin - in the rear view mirror there was a white-haired geezer sitting in the backseat! Wait, no, that's no geezer... that's my watch cap, now turned completely white with frost curls. The sweat evaporating off my bald head (even then!) and rising up through the wool weave coated every loose fiber and froze in place. That is the coldest adventure I ever experienced.

It's up to -17F here in southern WI. I'm thinking about going out to gather ballistics data at the cool end of the temp spectrum, now that it's light out. I need to finish up with a conference call (and coffee) first.

It was down to -25F with wind chills down to -57F this morning...

Edit: it is really nice to have a 20 yard range in my basement to shoot now that it's chilly outside! I'm hoping to set up a 10m range down there too (need a 10m rifle first though...).

Sean

It’s only -22 now, took my dog out and the suns shining and basically calm out so it’s what we call pretty nice out if dressed right. Something like a FWB 800X would be nice for 10 meters or a Air Arms, Walther or ah you know there are plenty of others. It would be fun just to hold and shoot one once, pretty serious shooting that 10 meter stuff.