• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

To buy a springer or not to buy a springer?

Yeah, don't put too much stock in AGC for gun advice. Thats an advertisement channel plain and simple.

The only way you're waking your neighbors with a 97K is if you're actually in there bedroom when you take that shot. Mine is a hair over 17fpe at the muzzle and my decibel reader is showing a reading of 95dB at the muzzle and all the way down to 83dB at 5yds. At 20yds or with a wall or even a fence between you guys, the noise is going to be indistinguishable. 80% of the sound emulating from a springer is in the action. The only reason you, the shooter, hear it so well is because your face is pressed up against the stock.

Yeah, don't put too much stock in AGC for gun advice. Thats an advertisement channel plain and simple.

The only way you're waking your neighbors with a 97K is if you're actually in there bedroom when you take that shot. Mine is a hair over 17fpe at the muzzle and my decibel reader is showing a reading of 95dB at the muzzle and all the way down to 83dB at 5yds. At 20yds or with a wall or even a fence between you guys, the noise is going to be indistinguishable. 80% of the sound emulating from a springer is in the action. The only reason you, the shooter, hear it so well is because your face is pressed up against the stock

Are we talking about the same guy, Nate? If so, who is he advertising for and for what?
He's advertising for anyone willing to send him a free gun that he can sell for a profit lol. Its a buisness and I can respect him for that. On the other hand, his "reviews" rarely ever point out anything bad and always just spin what is bad into a selling point. "This gun shoots dimes all day" or "oh man another dime!" and meanwhile you're watching him shoot 1" groups with it... He's a great guy to have on your side if you're trying to sell something but if you're looking for an unbiased opinion, look elsewhere in my opinion.

To put your noise concern in perspective though, your MPX muzzle report is probably louder than a 97K. Pyramydair lists the Sig as a 4 on the loudness chart wheras the 97K is only a 3. As far as accuracy goes, the Sig isn't even remotely close.

i'm a pcp guy... 20 years ago i shot only springers... i still own my 2 favorite springers and shoot them from time to time....springers are a whole different animal and take a bit of time to learn to shoot...practice practice practice.... another option for you is a hand pump for a backup air source
While I understand what you are saying, the guy is using a Sig MPX PCP. Even an unskilled springer shooter can beat that guns accuracy. The Sig has been described as "minute of soda can" at 25yds and most reviewers could only get 1" groups at 10yds with it. Hold sensitivity or not, the 97K will do better than an inch at 30yds. With some practice, he's looking at 1/3" or better at 30yds.

Everyone should own at least one springer. No pumps, compressors, just the rifle, a tin of pellets and go shoot.
Yes, I own PCP's (and a pumper and CO2) and I still very much enjoy shooting my springers. No hassle fun and
even my R7's (think HW30) will smack anything up to a squirrel, quietly and easily, up to the 30ish yards I have
for shooting.
Neighbors? Yep, very grouchy 87 year old who doesn't know I'm even shooting them until he hears my pellets
hitting my backstop.

He's advertising for anyone willing to send him a free gun that he can sell for a profit lol. Its a buisness and I can respect him for that. On the other hand, his "reviews" rarely ever point out anything bad and always just spin what is bad into a selling point. "This gun shoots dimes all day" or "oh man another dime!" and meanwhile you're watching him shoot 1" groups with it... He's a great guy to have on your side if you're trying to sell something but if you're looking for an unbiased opinion, look elsewhere in my opinion.

To put your noise concern in perspective though, your MPX muzzle report is probably louder than a 97K. Pyramydair lists the Sig as a 4 on the loudness chart wheras the 97K is only a 3. As far as accuracy goes, the Sig isn't even remotely close.

Three is next to four, its pretty much as close as you can get.
I have a big Donnie on mine. Its quieter than a .22 hw97, what i was considering.

No, i never did try one and i have read the comparisons. I have a few issues that makes a springer a better choice for ratting then pcp, the current biggest issue, is my compressor is waiting on an oring. Hopefully it won't be anything bigger next time.
Reason why it's alway a great thing to have a handpump in the house,......an Amazon China pump is the best 50 bucks you can spend in airgunning ;)

Since my ratter recently died, raccoons and rodents returned to my wooden suburb home. I catch a minimum of one rat each night with a trap if I set them.
My preferred method of dispatch is my Sig MPX HPA. 177, however my compressor has been temporarily down now for a month.
This got me looking at fixed barrel springers. Should I have a springer for rats when air supply is not available?
I love that it's a one shot too because that's most likely what would be required each night. I like that they are heavy in weight and hard to cock, because even though I have all my guns locked up all the time when I'm not using them, I do have little ones, including a toddler.
A quiet .177 springer is such a better choice for nightly ratting here.
I been looking at the Diana 56th in .177 and posted this to see others thoughts on the whole subject.
I really don't need a springer, when my compressor is working, and will be working soon, and I'm trying so hard to unclutter. But that Diana 56th looks so sweet and it's a better fit overall. But I really dont need it, do I?
Any help much appreciated.
Well I shoot my tx200 .177 at 50 yards and 100 yards most of the time. Mine is the USA market design. It will bring down rats and birds to 50 yards. It would not at 100 yards. I suspect 50 is pretty close to max for mine with 10 Zan slugs. They stop pigeon or smaller with head or body shots at 50 yards but do not shoot through. It shoots just under an inch at that range and 3" to 4" at 100 yards.

Reactions: BabySherman
First of all the 97 is quieter in 22 than 177. Both guns are quiet to begin with. I own a 177 Hw97 and I'm just finishing up a 22 Hw97 tune for a friend. All Hw97s have a factory moderator. If you don't think it works drop a fat soda straw in the muzzle. It will be much louder with the baffles defeated.

The 97 isn't my favorite Weihrauch but it's no joke. It's a good piece of machinery. I don't like it as much as other Weihrauchs because it's porky for my taste. On the bench it's the easiest gun to shoot good groups past 30 yards.

Reactions: BabySherman
For me, I think I rather concentrate on being a better pcp enthusiast and get a manual backup options for topping off my .177 hpa.
Are we talking about the same guy, Nate? If so, who is he advertising for and for what?
Not to be negative Sherm, but this thread sure was a waste of time for those all actually trying to helpo_O.
Like trying to help a shopper who has set of criteria that need to be filled ...... they seemingly make an about face when information that his preconceived Want doesn't jive with the answers. No the D56 and HW97 don't make sense for a midnight hunter.

...... So I'm gonna stick with a PCP:oops:.

Reactions: drpietrzak