• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

To buy a springer or not to buy a springer?

Here why i am a big fan of HW 97 in .22

The fan boys were made fan boys for a reason. Thats some excellent shooting!
Breach seals even though it's a fixed barrel? Thx

There is still a seal between the compression tube and barrel. The extremely hot compressed air smack directly into the 430L's breech seal and basically just melts/ erodes it away very, very quickly. Diana discontinued the gun but unfortunately also discontinued that seal so those of us who own the gun are on our own. I believe Hector Medina has his own seal available for the gun but I'm not 100% sure if it solves the actual issue at hand.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I suggest fixing your compressor and not purchasing a springer. Springers are worse than PCP's. Once you start, it is hard to stop. I purchased an excellent fixed barrel HW77. Then a HW30 and a HW50. Now I have several more springers. They are like golf clubs. You NEED more than one springer once you purchase the first one. Cannot play golf with one club, cannot shoot one springer. When I go shooting I always take three or four or five and maybe six because they are so much fun to shoot.
True story, they are great

Reactions: BabySherman
This got me looking at fixed barrel springers
-> why? ... way to heavy and powerful for rats!
A quiet .177 springer is such a better choice for nightly ratting here.
-> D56 is not the gun then!

Should I have a springer for rats when air supply is not available?
-> Not a bad idea!
I love that it's a one shot too because that's most likely what would be required each night. I like that they are heavy in weight and hard to cock, because even though I have all my guns locked up all the time when I'm not using them, I do have little ones, including a toddler.
-> I would recommend a HW50S in .177. Enough power, easy to manage, kids will not be able to cock it.
Any help much appreciated.
-> Sounds like there's another reason why you want to D56 other than above facts?

I suggest fixing your compressor and not purchasing a springer. Springers are worse than PCP's. Once you start, it is hard to stop. I purchased an excellent fixed barrel HW77. Then a HW30 and a HW50. Now I have several more springers. They are like golf clubs. You NEED more than one springer once you purchase the first one. Cannot play golf with one club, cannot shoot one springer. When I go shooting I always take three or four or five and maybe six because they are so much fun to shoot.
YES! an R7, HW50, and an R9 to start. Then track down a Webley Stingray and a Tomahawk too. Add a Theoben rammer or two. HW55............
I have about 50 springers (more like 70!) and 3 PCP's. I never shoot the PCP's. I prefer to grab a few and go out. Not packing luggage or spending time in preparation.

The fan boys were made fan boys for a reason. Thats some excellent shooting!

There is still a seal between the compression tube and barrel. The extremely hot compressed air smack directly into the 430L's breech seal and basically just melts/ erodes it away very, very quickly. Diana discontinued the gun but unfortunately also discontinued that seal so those of us who own the gun are on our own. I believe Hector Medina has his own seal available for the gun but I'm not 100% sure if it solves the actual issue at hand.
Oh thats disappointing.
You just talked me out of it. That and it had no options for iron sights, which that was what i was hoping for.
Whats a good fixed barrel springer alternative that looks as nice as the 56 and has iron sights, used at 20 meters.

i gotta ask, for someone who "never have cared for springers all that much", have you? i wouldn't recommend it and i've never touched one. there's enough quality complaints, i'd avoid it. check the reviews.
No, i never did try one and i have read the comparisons. I have a few issues that makes a springer a better choice for ratting then pcp, the current biggest issue, is my compressor is waiting on an oring. Hopefully it won't be anything bigger next time.

Reactions: pdxFrank
Why do you want a fixed barrel over a break barrel? Good break barrels are plenty accurate.

Unless you're shooting well past 30 yards. A 177 Hw30 would be hard to beat. They're stupid accurate, quiet and most importantly probably the easiest springer you'll ever shoot.

My little 177 Hw30 will head shot rats to 30 yards plus. It's so quiet it sounds like a staple gun to my neighbors 30 ft away.

Why do you want a fixed barrel over a break barrel? Good break barrels are plenty accurate.

Unless you're shooting well past 30 yards. A 177 Hw30 would be hard to beat. They're stupid accurate, quiet and most importantly probably the easiest springer you'll ever shoot.

My little 177 Hw30 will head shot rats to 30 yards plus. It's so quiet it sounds like a staple gun to my neighbors 30 ft away.

What's your distance and why specifically stay with the .177? Diana 48-56 are a bit overkill in .177, over penetration doesn't do anyone any favors. I guess you can tune it for a smooth shooting and cocking cycle and give up some velocity but still think it should be in the .22 caliber.

If within reasonable distance and still wanting a .177 then grab a HW30 or 50. Head shots are easy and cocking effort is reasonable per velocity. If a bit more distance is involved then you have the HW95 or Diana 34, FOR A LITTLE MORE UMPH down range.

Then you have the .22's which is perfect for ratting, break barrels and side levers load faster than the underlevers. The HW97 and Diana 52 are accurate but heavier to carry around and cost more. After hearing the difference between a .22 pellet hitting a rat skull compared to a .177, you wouldn't use anything else. Now if you have no worries of over penetration then .177 wouldn't be so bad.

A comfortable rifle is easier to shoot well.
(Weight, balance, cocking effort, trigger)

Reactions: BabySherman
What's your distance and why specifically stay with the .177? Diana 48-56 are a bit overkill in .177, over penetration doesn't do anyone any favors. I guess you can tune it for a smooth shooting and cocking cycle and give up some velocity but still think it should be in the .22 caliber.

If within reasonable distance and still wanting a .177 then grab a HW30 or 50. Head shots are easy and cocking effort is reasonable per velocity. If a bit more distance is involved then you have the HW95 or Diana 34, FOR A LITTLE MORE UMPH down range.

Then you have the .22's which is perfect for ratting, break barrels and side levers load faster than the underlevers. The HW97 and Diana 52 are accurate but heavier to carry around and cost more. After hearing the difference between a .22 pellet hitting a rat skull compared to a .177, you wouldn't use anything else. Now if you have no worries of over penetration then .177 wouldn't be so bad.

A comfortable rifle is easier to shoot well.
(Weight, balance, cocking effort, trigger)
Thank you. I decided to go with the HW97 in .22.
I wanted really quiet thats why i was thinking. 177 but its only going to be one shot that i will be making in the middle of the night each night.

Thats what i decided to go with. The stainless version.
Im in the US, NY. Do you have any advice on obtaining one? I waa looking at Krale.
Krale is definitely the way to go if they are in stock. If not you can just place the order and they'll ship it out as soon as it comes in. Order some H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66gr in 5.53, 5.54, and 5.55. Almost every .22 cal HW loves one of those. You can probably skip the 5.55s but they are nice to have just to test with.

Krale is definitely the way to go if they are in stock. If not you can just place the order and they'll ship it out as soon as it comes in. Order some H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66gr in 5.53, 5.54, and 5.55. Almost every .22 cal HW loves one of those. You can probably skip the 5.55s but they are nice to have just to test with.
What is the 5. Numbers? The length?