TJ barrels for Impact - I Placed the order - more about grinding

A standard choke on an air gun barrel is .0010 to .0015. The FX sadly and inexplicably .005. HUGE.I completely removed it for slugs by cutting the barrel behind the choke, polishing the barrel and re-crown.

If I hand known the choke was sol large, I would have ordered the 700 length bbl. in order to keep the desired length. GRRRRRR!!!l

Knife

friend you, those barrels that travis sells are not very good, and I have a friend who has a youngest marauder .22 217 1:18 with a TJ barrel that does rabbit hunt at 180 meters without losing its precision, mechanized by bill greathouse, he He is using the tool that Jim Gaske used, that is what they really know how to work a TJ barrel, not everyone knows how to machine a TJ barrel, I have TJ at .25 .30 now I'm going to have the .22 machined I'll show you that The machinist knows what he is going to order and he is going to ask the TJ company for the diameter that the customer wants, I am going to have a .218 machined 1:18

Travis did not sell barrels. He was one of two Engineers at JSAR. they are TJ's. As far as Gaska goes, who do you think the engineer was for Gaska? Yep, Travis! the issue is the twist and bore is wrong for slugs. They ordered the wrong spec's. I put in my suggestions and they ignored them. they were (many models) advertised as slug/pellet barrels. Yet were not slug capable. I have two here now. GRRRR!!!

Nothing wrong with the machining. The spec's of the barrels were inappropriate for what was supposed to be a top slug shooting AG.

to be fair neither Travis nor the other tech and experience with slug shooting I put in my two cents as I have years of experience, but it was unheeded. Why, because most of the slug makers are designing slugs to shoot in pellet barrels. "Slugs" are bullets', pure and simple. For top performance, a bullet shooing barrel is needed. They have been around for a very long time after all. I do however see their thinking. Not many ever day airgun shooters cast and have to rely on what the producers offer. Hence, barrels designed for pellets to handle the slugs designed of airgun barrels. Four my own personal use, an terrible compromise. 

Not only did JSAR see this way, so does ever single major airgun manufacturer out there. Now the issue is finding a slug that the barrels, (designed for pellets), in the standard offerings can handle. FX is the ONLY that is just beginning to scratch the surface of this. How, by designing a slug that conforms the the barrel more like a pellet.

I've written Matt Dubber on this, but he simply ignored it. (It was his idea to include the far too tight choke. It is only for the FX Slug, not our every day slugs and is way over kill. The only slug that I know o from different suppliers that is designed for an actual slug barrel currently offered by companies such as NSA is the .257 and some of the .308's.

I have a hard time understanding any of this as proper barrels are readily available for shooting slugs (bullets), . And exactly why the TJ's work! 😉 

friends, I am not a consumer of a rifle from any manufacturer, I make my own rifle, and I order the barrels according to the gr of the slug that I am going to use in that barrel, I have a large project on this, you can enter my instagram account and see how fx copied my idea from a project I had and they used it for their fx Maverick, I drew the design in 2019 and published it on May 12, 2020 you can see the publication on my instagram, I'm not what you have to consume What the manufacturers sell him, I make my own weapon, and for the one who tells me that I am wrong in my mind, he is worse than me, because all he does is kill paper from a table 🤣🤣🤣🤣 

friends, I am not a consumer of a rifle from any manufacturer, I make my own rifle, and I order the barrels according to the gr of the slug that I am going to use in that barrel, I have a large project on this, you can enter my instagram account and see how fx copied my idea from a project I had and they used it for their fx Maverick, I drew the design in 2019 and published it on May 12, 2020 you can see the publication on my instagram, I'm not what you have to consume What the manufacturers sell him, I make my own weapon, and for the one who tells me that I am wrong in my mind, he is worse than me, because all he does is kill paper from a table
1f923.svg
1f923.svg
1f923.svg
1f923.svg

FX should really quit ripping off your work.

🤪🤪🤪🤪

A standard choke on an air gun barrel is .0010 to .0015. The FX sadly and inexplicably .005. HUGE.I completely removed it for slugs by cutting the barrel behind the choke, polishing the barrel and re-crown.

If I hand known the choke was sol large, I would have ordered the 700 length bbl. in order to keep the desired length. GRRRRRR!!!l

Knife

How long is the choked section? can it be polished out? From the sound of it and the fact you chopped the barrel I assume it's not easy to address without chopping. 

I have been thinking about buying a barrel from TJ to shoot slugs in my Impact .30 just as a fun experiment, because I have "too much time on my hands!" And because none of the FX dealers have a .30 Superior Heavy Liner available for me to play with yet. I am thinking this should be a fairly simple and straight forward project. At the breech end I can have a machinist cut threads that will allow me to just screw on one of the Huma V2 Dual Port Brass Transfer Ports.

If it is necessary I can just remove a little of the metal ahead of the brass transfer port to allow the barrel to fit in the rear block, or conversely I could just remove some of the aluminum at the entrance of the rear block to accommodate the part of the barrel ahead of the brass tp...and as I said only if necessary. The TJ barrel is .560" (9/16") which equals 14.2 mm...this may require me to replace the O-rings in the front barrel guide and in the cocking block or just remove them completely. I could make the barrel guide holes in these two .2 mm larger easily if necessary.

As for the muzzle end I could have the machinist cut threads 1/2"x20 UNF for my silencer and cut an 11 degree target crown while he is at it...or I could just crown it myself with my Makita and a brass screw and some valve grinding compound. And Viola! Sounds simple to me... I am wondering if I should go with a 1:14 twist or a 1:16 twist barrel? Well I guess as cheap as they are I can try a 1:14, 1:16, and 1:18 and see which one likes these NSA Slugs the best.

I read this entire post from the beginning tonight and it seems to me that it turned into more of a pissing contest than guys trying to share information on the original question posted, which was a guy simply wondering about how he could put a TJ barrel on his Impact. I don't know if I can pull this off or not but if not then oh well...at least I will have had fun trying out one of my ideas and maybe learn something along the way. I sometimes have to remind you guys that we all started out doing this airgun stuff to have some Fun! I still do it for just The Pure Fun Of It...maybe some of you guys should give yourself a Fun Checkup to see if you are still having fun or not?

Always the best, Chuck

I have been thinking about buying a barrel from TJ to shoot slugs in my Impact .30 just as a fun experiment, because I have "too much time on my hands!" And because none of the FX dealers have a .30 Superior Heavy Liner available for me to play with yet. I am thinking this should be a fairly simple and straight forward project. At the breech end I can have a machinist cut threads that will allow me to just screw on one of the Huma V2 Dual Port Brass Transfer Ports.

If it is necessary I can just remove a little of the metal ahead of the brass transfer port to allow the barrel to fit in the rear block, or conversely I could just remove some of the aluminum at the entrance of the rear block to accommodate the part of the barrel ahead of the brass tp...and as I said only if necessary. The TJ barrel is .560" (9/16") which equals 14.2 mm...this may require me to replace the O-rings in the front barrel guide and in the cocking block or just remove them completely. I could make the barrel guide holes in these two .2 mm larger easily if necessary.

As for the muzzle end I could have the machinist cut threads 1/2"x20 UNF for my silencer and cut an 11 degree target crown while he is at it...or I could just crown it myself with my Makita and a brass screw and some valve grinding compound. And Viola! Sounds simple to me... I am wondering if I should go with a 1:14 twist or a 1:16 twist barrel? Well I guess as cheap as they are I can try a 1:14, 1:16, and 1:18 and see which one likes these NSA Slugs the best.

I read this entire post from the beginning tonight and it seems to me that it turned into more of a pissing contest than guys trying to share information on the original question posted, which was a guy simply wondering about how he could put a TJ barrel on his Impact. I don't know if I can pull this off or not but if not then oh well...at least I will have had fun trying out one of my ideas and maybe learn something along the way. I sometimes have to remind you guys that we all started out doing this airgun stuff to have some Fun! I still do it for just The Pure Fun Of It...maybe some of you guys should give yourself a Fun Checkup to see if you are still having fun or not?

Always the best, Chuck

Friend, if you can use a TJ barrel, it is only important who mechanizes the barrel for you, not everyone knows how to mechanize a TJ barrel because they are a turner, don't believe that, they only charge a lot of money for that and they only do poop, I have several TJ in various calibers and they are more accurate than all the barrels that are on the market, if you want a TJ .30 for slug the good spin would be 1:14 1:12 and if you can get 1:10 it would be much better, this spin is Well when the slug has a good length, the short slug is not good at this turn because it turns very fast if you want I can give you the contact of a good machinist he can call him and talk to him so that you can talk to him about what you really want and he will tell you what is convenient for you write me to my instagram @airgunplusrd1 👍

I don't have to talk poop about this if it weren't reality, fx saw my idea and launched the project, they wrote to me saying they didn't copy my ideal and I see that they did the same thing that I had in the drawing, they used their pieces so that they are not so similar but it is my same idea
3DB7DF4D-1E9E-441F-90B2-FB96DCC3622F.1613786344.png
0CF2CC6B-2710-447D-BA25-1AE07BA34668.1613786345.png

Lol I actually dislike FX for many reasons but really dont see why on earth they would take some randoms paper drawing of some random gun especially when your drawing presents 50% of the guns that have come to the market in last 5years and there simply is zero revolutionary designs in neather one. 

friend you, those barrels that travis sells are not very good, and I have a friend who has a youngest marauder .22 217 1:18 with a TJ barrel that does rabbit hunt at 180 meters without losing its precision, mechanized by bill greathouse, he He is using the tool that Jim Gaske used, that is what they really know how to work a TJ barrel, not everyone knows how to machine a TJ barrel, I have TJ at .25 .30 now I'm going to have the .22 machined I'll show you that The machinist knows what he is going to order and he is going to ask the TJ company for the diameter that the customer wants, I am going to have a .218 machined 1:18

Travis did not sell barrels. He was one of two Engineers at JSAR. they are TJ's. As far as Gaska goes, who do you think the engineer was for Gaska? Yep, Travis! the issue is the twist and bore is wrong for slugs. They ordered the wrong spec's. I put in my suggestions and they ignored them. they were (many models) advertised as slug/pellet barrels. Yet were not slug capable. I have two here now. GRRRR!!!

Nothing wrong with the machining. The spec's of the barrels were inappropriate for what was supposed to be a top slug shooting AG.

to be fair neither Travis nor the other tech and experience with slug shooting I put in my two cents as I have years of experience, but it was unheeded. Why, because most of the slug makers are designing slugs to shoot in pellet barrels. "Slugs" are bullets', pure and simple. For top performance, a bullet shooing barrel is needed. They have been around for a very long time after all. I do however see their thinking. Not many ever day airgun shooters cast and have to rely on what the producers offer. Hence, barrels designed for pellets to handle the slugs designed of airgun barrels. Four my own personal use, an terrible compromise. 

Not only did JSAR see this way, so does ever single major airgun manufacturer out there. Now the issue is finding a slug that the barrels, (designed for pellets), in the standard offerings can handle. FX is the ONLY that is just beginning to scratch the surface of this. How, by designing a slug that conforms the the barrel more like a pellet.

I've written Matt Dubber on this, but he simply ignored it. (It was his idea to include the far too tight choke. It is only for the FX Slug, not our every day slugs and is way over kill. The only slug that I know o from different suppliers that is designed for an actual slug barrel currently offered by companies such as NSA is the .257 and some of the .308's.

I have a hard time understanding any of this as proper barrels are readily available for shooting slugs (bullets), . And exactly why the TJ's work!
1f609.svg

Good info…I ran into this exact issue when I machined an unchoked LW 12land .22 barrel with the hope of shooting slugs.

Every slug on the market was to small. And it clearly writing on LW site, grove diameter .221” bore dia .215”

I couldn’t find a single slug that worked…because the standard .22 slugs on market are meant for choked barrels or liner. 

As it currently stands, the airgun slug market is messed up, and FX is part of the problem. 

I challenged you with the group at 100 meters of 0.8715 ”in .25 and you blocked me for that and you watched the video so if you didn't even do that 100 meters you are the least indicated to claim the group at 150 meters. Yes, I will do it with everything and video. no fake video they will see each shot and they will have two cameras focus everything well, but I will not please you, I never spoke badly to you for you to disrespect me, always what you want is that in this rifle pcp is not all business as I am looking at it, and that people have the right to complain, fx pays a lot of publicity and there are many people who can not say anything bad about fx because there is a paid staff that with other frustrated users fall on him talking to him that they can't talk bad about fx and things like that. how if the one who pays for his rifle has no right to claim, I would like the manufacturers to have more quality control and be sure of the precision of a barrel. not that in the description of the store they tell you you can make shots at 100 meters and when you do those tests you cannot make good groups at 50 meters it is a shame that a 2000 dollar rifle cannot make you a good group at 100 meters that rob the customer
I love the attempt that FX is making, as it pertains to trying to offer a quality airgun to the customer but there is a problem that some don't want to admit. There is an elephant in the room and that is their barrels. They SUCK for 15 to 2000.00 dollars, I gotta agree that this is unacceptable. FX get rid of that smooth choke poop and give us a fully riffle none tappered ****ing barrel. PLEASE!!!. In addition, give us a twist rate appropriate for the caliber of riffle according to a large range of slugs wanting to be used. See, this is why we go to TJ barrels to get our barrels, because they do just that. Now, as far as FX paided sponsored individuals, yes it stinks of a Lil biased poop when they are being paided by FX. The trust is questionable. 🤔