Tis The Season of Fungus !

I have been hunting wild mushrooms in Northern California for close to 40 years now. Been
getting fairly good rain in the last 30 days so I set out for my favorite fare ! Chanterelles !!
Got 3 lbs today and I plan on sirloin steak with a merlot wine reduction for dinner ! Any of
you fellow countrymen forge the forests for fungus ?

20221208_152100.jpg

20221208_151730.jpg

20221208_151741.jpg

Yes,they are great in soups,have also eaten those big ones that grow on trees,I made sure someone eat them first though.
Almost every other year someone eats the poisonous ones and almost dies.
There are classes you can take to learn the good ones and the bad ones.
Chantrelles and Razor clams are two tastes that are very hard to beat in soups.
I am close to Napa and Marin. Great place to live.

Yes,they are great in soups,have also eaten those big ones that grow on trees,I made sure someone eat them first though.
Almost every other year someone eats the poisonous ones and almost dies.
There are classes you can take to learn the good ones and the bad ones.
Chantrelles and Razor clams are two tastes that are very hard to beat in soups.
I am close to Napa and Marin. Great place to live.
I'm in Sonoma and there is a couple type that grow on trees. The rare one is the Lions Mane. Actually
has a crab like flavor.

Screenshot_20221208_185855_Chrome.jpg

Very similar to the Bear's Head tooth fungus.
iu

iu

iu

I read that both are supposed to taste like Lobster. Yeah... right... LOL!

I tried the BHT sautéed in butter and it was NOTHING like lobster. Not bad, but definitely a fungus.

Oh well... to each their own and if I find more BHT in my area I will harvest it and use it. Times are hard.

p.s.

Before I found out the actual name (still don't fully understand that name) I was calling it "Santa's Beard". (grin)

p.s.p.s

Here is an article that claims to denote the differences between Lion's Mane and Bear's Head tooth mushrooms.

Take it for what it is worth as I can't verify the author's credentials regarding mushrooms/fungi.

Last edited:
Grab morels here each spring.. easy to identify. I have them typically within 20 yards from my house. The chantarelles look easy, but I'm not willing to risk a severe case of the back door trots (or worse) from misidentification until I can have someone nearby I trust to go with until I get comfortable with identification.
That is the reason I love these mushrooms. So easy to identify! There are some edible
types in the Amanita family but because the Death Cap (Amanita phalloides) is also in
that family I stay clear !!

Very similar to the Bear's Head tooth fungus.
iu

iu

iu

I read that both are supposed to taste like Lobster. Yeah... right... LOL!

I tried the BHT sautéed in butter and it was NOTHING like lobster. Not bad, but definitely a fungus.

Oh well... to each their own and if I find more BHT in my area I will harvest it and use it. Times are hard.

p.s.

Before I found out the actual name (still don't fully understand that name) I was calling it "Santa's Beard". (grin)

p.s.p.s

Here is an article that claims to denote the differences between Lion's Mane and Bear's Head tooth mushrooms.

Take it for what it is worth as I can't verify the author's credentials regarding mushrooms/fungi.

I think that is the same mushroom. Just a different name depending on where you live. I've tried
them on a few occasions but it's not my favorite. And it did have a crab flavor. They are expensive
though if you can find them for sale. Like $50 per pound expensive! I see the Chanterelles in some
stores between $15-$20 per pound. Most of these in our markets are probably coming from Oregon
and Washington.

I get the morels growing in my back yard every spring. Not too many, a dozen is usually the max, but enough to enjoy fried in real butter. There are many health benefits of the different fungi to us that researchers are just now figuring out.
I have tried morels and the mushroom flavor of those is so intense! Cleaning the dirt
from them is the real chore !

I have been hunting wild mushrooms in Northern California for close to 40 years now. Been
getting fairly good rain in the last 30 days so I set out for my favorite fare ! Chanterelles !!
Got 3 lbs today and I plan on sirloin steak with a merlot wine reduction for dinner ! Any of
you fellow countrymen forge the forests for fungus ?

View attachment 312074

View attachment 312075

View attachment 312077
Hello @GoldenStateAIRGUNer

Man those look good, what time is dinner?

ThomasT

I have tried morels and the mushroom flavor of those is so intense! Cleaning the dirt
from them is the real chore !
I soak for a few hours in heavily salted water after splitting them in half. After that, just a quick rinse off and in the pan they go. I've not noticed dirt, but maybe I'm just so happy to eat them, I dont care...ha!