FX Tired of POI changes on Dreamtact compacts

Well noticed my Dreamtact Compacts' impact moves from just simple bumps of the barrels getting them in and out of the box. I tested it in the basement by just tapping the moderator up, down, left and right. The impacts would hit in those locations about a half inch away at 11 yards. I ordered some 22mm OD x 20mm ID carbon fiber tubes and plan to slide them over the outside of the shroud and cut them just a smidge longer than the shroud so the moderator can put tension on the carbon fiber tube against the reciever. Fingers crossed it fixes the wondering POI.

IMG_0176.JPG

I machined this up after work a couple of years ago for my dreamline compact (made one in 22 and in 25) the straw barrel slides into a stainless steel tube..the other parts lock the barrel in it.. carbon fiber tube slides over it all.. the moderator is used (not in pic) to tension it all in place.... It was a huge improvement.. I do like my dreamline.. and the only FX I currently own that I will be keeping. (just sold the last one) love their rifles... Cant stand the FX barrel system.. that part needs a better more improved system

Mine came with carbon fiber sleeves for the liners so I glued those on and marked all the locking nuts so I would keep the same tension when adjusting. Was just plinking in the basement and noticed the impacts kept moving on me. Scope is good and tight so started messing with the barrel and could recreate the problem. Wish I had a mill and lathe at the house. Would make tinkering so much easier. I like your barrel tension system.

Well they were purchased used on here and shoot very tight groups. It is just the bothersome impact changes that is annoying. Looking to use these as woods walkers as they are so light and tons of shots with 220cc bottles. I think once the shrouds are tensioned with carbon fiber tubing they will be better. Just goofy that FX makes all the barrel parts on these things so thin and flimsy. My Prophet, Taipan and Revere don't suffer from impact changes due to handling. Just want to get these to do the same.

I have a .177 DreamTac (full sized tube version, 500mm barrel) and if compact barrel system is like mine, there are 2 or 3 plastic spacers that slip over the barrel liner. The shroud slides on over them and they are supposed to keep everything centered. But, I have found that the front can slide back far enough to be useless in that roll when you install the shroud. I put a carbon fiber sleeve on mine and the front spacer sits in front of it, right at the end of the barrel, about 1/4" behind the muzzle. It now stays put and has cured the somewhat shifty POI and flyers I used to have.
Now, I am on the fence about how much my CF sleeve stiffens the barrels and all that stuff it is supposed to do. But, I can say that keeping that front space in position is key. If you did not have or want a liner sleeve, you could do something similar with a few wraps of gaffer's tape in front and behind the spacer.

A gun with wandering POI would be immediately be either sent back or sold,......change in POI for whetever reason is the biggest No No for me
Exactly...I kept the one because I put time and effort in it to correct the issue... Wasn't going to do that with any other FX I owned. Sold them all and will not buy another.. if I can't put it down or store it for awhile and grab it up and shoot straight... It's gone!

Figured I would give FX a try since they are so highly raved and these were the cheapest and most beneficial to my armory that I currently have. Tinking is part of the fun so we shall see how much tinkering they really need. Other than a couple small bits and some clean up, they were a really good deal. We shall see what happens.

Reactions: Jasonmc
i have had 2 dream-tac compacts and never had any POI changes
between shoot'n times (hunting)
1 in .22 and the other in .25
must be a cause i have never experienced......both mine were tac-drivers
out to 50-75yds
sold them both for upgrade reasons and never had any new owner issues
that i know of.
there very good quality built guns. 👨‍🌾 🤘

Reactions: qball
Well it got a little better when I took the oring off the barrel tensioner that the shroud bottoms out on. Tightens more consistently now. Still have to cut my carbon tubes down to tension over the stock shroud. I wish the receiver was a flat interface versus the angle and flat that the barrel shroud butts up against. Having to cut those angles in the carbon tubing will be fun.

Well it got a little better when I took the oring off the barrel tensioner that the shroud bottoms out on. Tightens more consistently now. Still have to cut my carbon tubes down to tension over the stock shroud. I wish the receiver was a flat interface versus the angle and flat that the barrel shroud butts up against. Having to cut those angles in the carbon tubing will be fun.
I used my miter saw to cut carbon fiber, tape at cut and go very slow. I know it’s probably dulling the heck out of the blade, but I’ve cut a bunch and it seems okay. I’ll change to a new blade the next time I do trim, and dedicate this one to carbon fiber. Eye protection!