Tips on wind elevation

MATH OF WIND DRIFT By Michael Niksch – May 2020

Wind drift increases by the square of the distance.

If you shoot at 25y and are seeing 1/16” of drift...you can expect to see 1” at 100y if the same conditions are present all the way to the target. 100y is 4 times the distance of 25...so 4 squared is16.

If you measure drift in angular format instead of distance...such as mil or moa...it does not need to be squared.

So,if you measured 1/4 moa at 25...it would be 1 moa at100. This is why it’s far more convenientto measure drift in the reticle and plan for different distances.

If you could only use one wind flag...it would be best to place it in the first 25 yards of a 100y range.

What is happening in that first 25 is more weighted in importance than the rest of the distance.

You can easily visualize this by taking a leaf blower and placing it on full blast just in front of the muzzle and shooting.

Now take the blower and put it just in front of the target and shoot. You will be way off your mark with the blower at the muzzle...while you will notice no shot movement from the blower at the target.

Those numbers are rounded a little.

Most guys place their flags at nice even intervals out to the target.

Doing it like that means that each flag further down the range is less and less a contributor to the total drift of the pellet.

It’s better to break the flags up into equal zones of influence. For 25m and 2 flags...2 equal zones of influence will be first flag at 13 feet, and second flag at 54 feet. So, by this spacing, you can notice that what happens in the first 26 feet is equally of influence to what is happening in the last 56 feet. If the flags are pointing opposite directions with the tails indicating the same velocity...you can expect your pellet to have virtually no drift.

This is very boiled down technique.

Too many flags is simply information overload...especially if they are each showing you a different percentage of overall drift influence.

Last edited:
Here’s a copy of a pellet wind rose. If memory serves, I got it from one of Mike’s posts and added the annotations.
6C40A613-3B13-4AE9-B29C-4E937CE5EBE3.gif

Guys any tips on dealing with wind. I put a kite streamer behind my target and 25 yds away. I have a 50yd zero. How do you judge wind ?

Tips appreciated. My scope does have a zero for windage but not using it.
you might consider resetting your zero point on your scope to the beginning of it's apex where it flattens out - 22-25 yards is common.

you might consider resetting your zero point on your scope to the beginning of it's apex where it flattens out - 22-25 yards is common.
I’m not aware of any factory LH twist barrels in Airguns.

The chart Nervoustrig posted is correct for pellets in RH twist barrels.

Mike
many thanks.

What do you use to gauge how strong the wind is? Do you just use the weather or a meter? Appreciate all the tips. I like the chart thanks.
Lots of ways including wind meters but learning to read the signs.... picking up dust and watching it fall, blowing bubbles, knowing what type wind flag moves how much in a wind... etc... etc... lots of experience needed... even being an old sailor and learning to know the weather is often little help. BUT, those who master the wind... master much.

Here’s a copy of a pellet wind rose. If memory serves, I got it from one of Mike’s posts and added the annotations.
View attachment 349562

The chart is correct IF the wind is 100% horizontal. I have had tailwind drop POI and headwind that raised POI all because of the angle of the wind in relation to the ground. Then you add incline/decline angles, landscape features like hills/valley and objects around and between you and the target.

Wind is such a crude mistress! The charts is a great start, only tip I can give is go shoot in different conditions so you can correlate your perceived environmental conditions to POI changes.