HW/Weihrauch Tips for tuning HW97 / HW77 / Springers

Let's compile a list of tuning tips for Do It Yourself tuners to share ideas on tuning or servicing HW97 or 77 or even general springer tuning tips.

Let's keep in mind that no one is claiming to be a gunsmith or professional tuner and these are just amature sugestions that we remember only for ourselves.
We just want to share our ideas for educational purposes only.

OK I will start and it's my hope that the best list of tuning tips the world has ever seen, will emerge as we all share our ideas:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-
Tip #1 Don't forget to have fun. If your not having fun while tuning your springer ..... -You're doing it wrong. -
_
Tip #2 Tap the trigger pins out from Right to Left..... The pins on the Record trigger are designed to be tapped out from the Right to the Left and installed from Left to Right this is a general rule in gunsmithing.

Tip #3 Trump won the election never for get that... OK just haviing fun.

Tip #4 Use a torque screwdriver with hollow ground bits so you can tighten all fasteners to specs and not booger up all your screws. The Wheeler Fat Wrench is probably the most popular choice and for good reason.

Tip #5 Don't over tighten the rear trigger screw. Weihrauch recommends 20 inch-pounds but 20 is too much. I tightend my rear screw to 20 and stripped out the nut. The nut that attaches to this screw is thin and only holds by a few threads. I would suggest no more than 15 in-lbs.

Please add to our list as you see fit. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Uglyjohn and Frogy
Rear trigger guard screw hw says 2.5nm ( 22 inch pounds). The factory one suks and a been replaced with a real one.

I never used a toque wrench i tighten by feel.

And yes , your vote counts as long as its to what " they" want . ( Trump speaks today at tpusa sas) watch ...👍. Real leadership in action.

A good metric flathead screwdriver helps ( not as sloppy slot fit as usa ones)

Last edited:
OK so:

#6 Remember to state the torque specs in inch-lbs not foot-lbs.

#7 Use a good metric flathead screwdriver. ( not as slopy slot fit as USA ones)

#8 If this is your first spring/piston seal install; use a Vortek piston seal and a Maccari spring. This is the reccomendation I found in my research and it worked great for me. The Vortek Molybdenum Disulfide impregnated Urethane seals are more forgiving than others and are known to last. The Maccari spring kit is a simple drop in replacement.

#9 Put tape on areas you want to protect so as not to scratch your rifle.

Reactions: Uglyjohn
I dont toque ring cas past 18inlb unless manufacturer states otherwise..

Last thing you need is your scopes tube damaged or crushed. Then may as well junk pile it.. its done .

If the values aint in the box ( instructions). Just pop the manufacturer a email on there correct values.. of you get nothing from them then 18 inlb is pretty much max ..

The base i just hand crank them down on dovetail rails.. if it slips i go more if not call it good..lol

#10 Place a piece of tape over the safety. This holds the parts in place and prevents ye olde schwing-fsck. That spring is a bugger to find.
Man yes that spring is a burger to find. I was in the middle of fitting a clicker pin spring. To fit when God said look there , and by galley the was the original. Spring. 😀😀😀 Praise GOD