Tips for buying used/secondhand? (MN, USA)

So I'm new to getting deeper into airguns, and I don't want to buy just-anything new. I want to be careful with my money, and only spend my budget on something USED when I can ... that way I could resell it if it doesn't work out, and not lose as much of my hobby budget.

I'd like to buy something pretty specific (a used PCP), but I'm having trouble finding the right resources.

Do you have any suggestions beyond what I've done so far?
  • FB Marketplace and Craigslist are cooked ... posts are flagged quickly there and there's nothing there apart from $15 red ryders
  • I've called the gun shops locally, asking if they know of any local shops who do secondhand air guns. Nothin doing.
  • ... so I've taken the search online (the classifieds here, GTA classifieds, and AGW classifieds)
    • I monitor ebay casually, but there's not much action there

Are there secondhand markets that I'm missing? Everything I find online seems to be in the UK, where they are somehow much more enthusiast-supportive, especially with used AGs.

I'm open to suggestion. Thanks!

Reactions: Firewalker
So I'm new to getting deeper into airguns, and I don't want to buy just-anything new. I want to be careful with my money, and only spend my budget on something USED when I can ... that way I could resell it if it doesn't work out, and not lose as much of my hobby budget.

I'd like to buy something pretty specific (a used PCP), but I'm having trouble finding the right resources.

Do you have any suggestions beyond what I've done so far?
  • FB Marketplace and Craigslist are cooked ... posts are flagged quickly there and there's nothing there apart from $15 red ryders
  • I've called the gun shops locally, asking if they know of any local shops who do secondhand air guns. Nothin doing.
  • ... so I've taken the search online (the classifieds here, GTA classifieds, and AGW classifieds)
    • I monitor ebay casually, but there's not much action there

Are there secondhand markets that I'm missing? Everything I find online seems to be in the UK, where they are somehow much more enthusiast-supportive, especially with used AGs.

I'm open to suggestion. Thanks!
The best market for a used air gun would be at one of the airgun shows , If you could swing it .

Reactions: Firewalker
Patience and use the search engine. Personally I don't low ball people because I sell here too, and I always try and give the lowest price that I'm actually willing to sell it for.

What kind of gun are you looking for? I have a few I'm considering letting go of.

I'd like to find a good Air Arms s200 (also sold as the CZ 200/ Avanti Valiant / Daisy xs40). Just missed a couple on here last month, before I was looking. Hoping to find the hunter (sporter) version, but may consider the target version.

Reactions: silvershooter589
Two things stand out as cautionary regarding used PCPs. One, PCPs can prove tempting to tinker with for owners, including, but not limited to, tuning, up-grading and dis-assembly. Improper understanding, techniques and tools could result in expensive repairs for next owner. Two, many PCP owners recognize the importance of dry, clean air, others, not so much. Purchasing a long-time moisture-challenged PCP can also result in expensive repairs. WM

The classifieds here are typically good. Make sure the member you are dealing with has been here for a while. Haven't had any issues buying from people here.

Another option is to go shooting with people and try a bunch of guns. I know there is a group outside the cities that shoot field target, so you could look them up. I also sent you a message to see if you are close, willing to go shooting and try some guns

I'm going to second the suggestion of actually going to Airgun shows if at all possible. Not only do you get to see the gun but you get to meet face to face with the owner and ask questions in real time. Prices are usually very competitive as well. You might turn your nose up at the drive and possibly staying overnight in a motel but when you consider shipping the cost of buying sight unseen and not being able to talk to the seller it's a small price to pay in my experience.

The Classified here is a good place as long as the seller has decent feedback. Look at dealers like AOA and Utah air guns that are willing to take guns on trade and sell used guns and as long as they will give you a brief warranty is not a bad place to buy but don't be afraid to make Make them an offer for their used air guns.

Not a fan of eBay since the prices are crazy but I do like gun broker since they have a dedicated air gun site.

I've always learned to save the best advice for last and here it is.... Be patient

I'm in Mille Lacs, welcome neighbor!

Bullet Central is in Fargo, I've got some resources I can share with you if you wish.

What gun/are you looking for?
I'd like to find a good Air Arms s200 (also sold as the CZ 200/ Avanti Valiant / Daisy xs40). Hoping to find the hunter (sporter) version, but may consider the target version.