• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Time travel, to buying your first PCP

Most of us went down the PCP trail and haven’t left. We just buy more.

I see a number of posts about people inquiring about certain rifles and it being their first PCP. How about a thread where we say what we wish we bought first, it might even be what we bought.

1. What do you wish you bought at the time? Try and remember the year.

2. If you had all the knowledge you have since entering the PCP universe, what would you buy now if it was your first PCP.

1. I bought an original FX Royale 400 22 cal. unregulated, aluminum tank. I wish I never sold it.

2. Today I would try and find a used Daystate Huntsman or a new one. If it was a tighter budget, probably an Air Venturi Avenger.

Thanks guys and ladies.

My first 3 were ATI Freedoms. Great until either the pump or the poppets failed.

I don't know what I would buy now. See my signature. I know I will never buy a "top tier" gun because of the price(s). Even though I may end up spending more in the long run, at least I will not have spent all that money on ONE gun that ends up being an Albatross around my neck. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

Although I have been staying away from regulated airguns when I look lately, the Avenge-X has caught my eye. The only thing I worry about is that it is the exact same platform basis as the Freedom or Liberty. Although my Freedoms were tack drivers, the problems I had make me more than a little bit leery. So, even if I do buy one, it will be after it has been reviewed long term by reputable members here on AGN. (He says with his fingers crossed)

p.s.p.s.

I could not find the records in Quicken for my first purchase of my first PCP, ATI Nova Freedom, but it was around late 2018 to mid 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdinGa
2016: Marauder. (Same gun I bought, wasn't a lot of better offerings at the time and there was a large aftermarket tuning/modding community)

2023: Marauder primarily for part accessibility and staying true to my history with the gun and its simplicity. I am very content with what I have and my budget doesn't keep my from purchasing another, it's just the lack of desire for anything else I've seen come to market, the closest thing is a Huben Gk1...would love one that I could change out barrels on (8" to 19" for example) while going from pistol to carbine, that would be a sweet setup, otherwise the rest are not a cut above what I currently have IMO.

-Matt

An Air Arms S410 in .22. Probably 50 rifles later with more than 25 “passed through,” I still have it. Not as sexy or powerful as others, it is still deadly accurate, super quiet, smooth as silk, and dependable with virtually no maintenance required. Not sure what makes us want more or something different.

2014 I think, bought a marauder synthetic .22, marauder pistol .22 and a marauder .25 wood stock. Had all 3 for a couple years and then decided to get out of it and sold them off. A year later got another marauder pistol and from there it’s been never ending, have no idea how many pcp’s I’ve had since then, 30 or so I’d guess. Was happy with my choice starting with the marauders

First PCP was a Benjamin Maximus, was a kit with pump, pellets (piranhas) and spinner for $300. Seemed like a no brainer at the time. Shortly after price jumped to $400, don't recall the year.

If I were new and just getting into pcp's but knowing what I know now, I'd go right to big bore, probably a Texan .30 and/or .45... I really have all my small bore airgun needs covered by springers and a few pumpers. What I've invested into pcp's so far has just been wants.

Technically I bought a .22 FX Crown mk1 continuum as my first. But it was backordered a few months, so I bought a Diana Bandit while waiting, and it arrived first. Wouldn't change a thing. Still have both.
1597284326_6553653485f349fe64f8fb7.83417865 (1).jpg
DSCF6077_edited.jpg

In the Eighties I was contributing regularly to the first airgun magazine in the U.S. (American Airgunner), and in 1988 was approached by the Galway Silencer & Gun Company to be(come) their U.S. distribution agent. They and Daystate were the first manufacturers to bring PCPs to market. Though I didn't have the means to become a distributor, I did take advantage of the opportunity to purchase a .22 Galway Fieldmaster direct from the manufacturer.

It was a fantastic PCP; fantastically simple and accurate. I used it to good effect by capturing the Texas State Champion title in Open Rifle class NRA Silhouette competition, setting the national record in the process.

Sure wish I still owned that Rangemaster. I've heard of only two others that made it to the U.S.

1699503828711.png

Suffice to say my photography has 'evolved' since 1988.😂

My first was a Webley Venom Viper in .22 somewhere around 2000-2001. My only regret is selling it. If I was buying my first now, it would probably be a Taipan Veteran Standard in .177.
There are many posts on AGN and GTA that say the Taipan Veteran (various models) is a really good gun. As you know, I really like .177 for what I do, so I might have to look at this gun seriously, if it is still offered new... and I'll just bet it isn't... knowing how I am always behind the curve. (chuckle/sigh)

I won't buy used unless I can buy used face to face and I won't buy from the classified on AGN or any other airgun forum. Anyone who has been reading AGN for the last year or less will know why.

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
There are many posts on AGN and GTA that say the Taipan Veteran (various models) is a really good gun. As you know, I really like .177 for what I do, so I might have to look at this gun seriously, if it is still offered new... and I'll just bet it isn't... knowing how I am always behind the curve. (chuckle/sigh)

I won't buy used simply because I can buy used face to face and I won't buy from the classified on AGN or any other airgun forum.

All my best!

Kerry
I'm not a high end kind of guy but if a Vet 1 pops up in the classifieds when I have the cash in hand I'll jump. I don't mind the rear cocking lever at all. I own plenty of guns in .22 and .25, but .177 has me firmly in its grasp.

And yet, I will probably still end up with something more along the line of an Avenge-X eventually. It does press "most" of my buttons and as soon as the "fad" wears out and there are enough real honest reviews (yeah... right) I will probably buy one, new, at much less than the retail price they are going for now.

I always did like the High/Low switch on the Freedoms. It *might* be better if it was a h/m/l switch, but I liked it. About 920fps on high and 750fps on low and sub MOA out to 50+ yards. Although I did have to make my own moderators for them, which will also work on the Avenge-X... if I buy one! (smile)

Went from having the tree rats run away after the first shot to being able to get more than one... sometimes 3-5! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I am having the equivalent of "cabin fever" because I haven't been able to shoot for so long! It is making me CRAZY!!!

And yet, I will probably still end up with something more along the line of an Avenge-X eventually. It does press "most" of my buttons and as soon as the "fad" wears out and there are enough real honest reviews (yeah... right) I will probably buy one, new, at much less than the retail price they are going for now.

I always did like the High/Low switch on the Freedoms. It *might* be better if it was a h/m/l switch, but I liked it. About 920fps on high and 750fps on low and sub MOA out to 50+ yards. Although I did have to make my own moderators for them, which will also work on the Avenge-X... if I buy one! (smile)

Went from having the tree rats run away after the first shot to being able to get more than one... sometimes 3-5! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I am having the equivalent of "cabin fever" because I haven't been able to shoot for so long! It is making me CRAZY!!!
I'm just not an Avenger or Avenge X fan even though I'm sure they're good guns.

I've been stealing every moment I can to shoot. I keep some cans tied up a 21 yards that I sling BBs at when I have a few seconds. Gotta love those little Daisy 35s.

@EdinGa I can understand and understand your love of SnowPeak guns, although I have never owned one. I never bought and Avenger because I believed they suffered from the same bad poppet issues that the Liberty and Freedom had. However, I am hopeful that is a thing of the past. Also, the fact that the Avenge-X seems to have replacement regulators at a ?reasonable? price available makes them more appealing since my limited experience with regulators is that even the good one WILL fail, on average, in about 2-3 years at best and I am no good at fixing them.

I envy you for being able to shoot! Except for a respite last week in the sewer work the city is doing, I haven't been able to even check zero or simply SHOOT for going on 2 weeks now. I am going NUTZ!!!!!!!!

And no, the 10 meter range inside my house has no appeal for me anymore. So that doesn't count or even enter the picture...

And my health problems preclude even smoking a good cigar! ARRRGGGHHH!!!

All my best!

Kerry

@EdinGa I can understand and understand your love of SnowPeak guns, although I have never owned one. I never bought and Avenger because I believed they suffered from the same bad poppet issues that the Liberty and Freedom had. However, I am hopeful that is a thing of the past. Also, the fact that the Avenge-X seems to have replacement regulators at a ?reasonable? price available makes them more appealing since my limited experience with regulators is that even the good one WILL fail, on average, in about 2-3 years at best and I am no good at fixing them.

I envy you for being able to shoot! Except for a respite last week in the sewer work the city is doing, I haven't been able to even check zero or simply SHOOT for going on 2 weeks now. I am going NUTZ!!!!!!!!

And no, the 10 meter range inside my house has no appeal for me anymore. So that doesn't count or even enter the picture...

And my health problems preclude even smoking a good cigar! ARRRGGGHHH!!!

All my best!

Kerry
Snowpeak has been good to me. I've won the barrel lottery with every single one I own. This Bullshark has really opened my eyes to what they are capable of too. I should be through with buying guns but that little Vet keeps calling to me.

The 2 Nova Freedoms in .177 were such good barrels that I feel the same way you do about that. Sub MOA with CPUMs. At least until I got several boxes of CPUMs that look like they swept them off the floor after the shift was over. (heavy sigh) Will never buy brown box Crosman, EVER again!

If I had the money I would probably try a Showpeak, but even if I did... I know/think my time is limited on this earth. So, as I said, I am going NUTZ not being able to shoot! The main reason wake up at or long before daylight is to look out my sniper window for pesting targets. Truly.

It is what keeps me alive. Literally.

All my best!

Kerry

The 2 Nova Freedoms in .177 were such good barrels that I feel the same way you do about that. Sub MOA with CPUMs. At least until I got several boxes of CPUMs that look like they swept them off the floor after the shift was over. (heavy sigh) Will never buy brown box Crosman, EVER again!

If I had the money I would probably try a Showpeak, but even if I did... I know/think my time is limited on this earth. So, as I said, I am going NUTZ not being able to shoot! The main reason wake up at or long before daylight is to look out my sniper window for pesting targets. Truly.

It is what keeps me alive. Literally.

All my best!

Kerry
Shooting keeps me sane for sure. I try to live for today and try not to worry about tomorrow but that's a tough thing to do. I've been thinking about setting up some lights so I can shoot after dark. It's tough finding the time during daylight hours this time of year.

A .177 Walther AR20 was my first PCP, bought it 2nd hand in 2012. Nice airgun, very accurate but not my type of rifle. Ended up trading it for a tricked-out AA TX200 with a GinB stock that was all setup for FT.

Have a bunch of PCPs in the safe. With what I know now and if it was available at the time, the .22 FX Crown MK2 would likely be my only PCP as it covers 80% of my needs. Second choice would be an Impact.

Believe it or not, I think that something like an Impact (with its wide range of powers and calibers) would be an ideal "do everything well" airgun. Several of my (airgun newbie) friends have tried (all) my airguns and decided (on their own) that a .22 caliber Impact was the one and only pellet gun the needed.

Cheers!

Mine was a Aspen and it's a piece of junk. If you can keep it from leaking it was a very accurate rifle. Never had problems with the pump but the check valves, especially the 1 for the pump wasn't good when I bought it 🤬🤬. Should've sent it back but being my first didn't want to wait for it to be either fixed or replaced. Oh well, That was a $400 lessen.🤬

Forgot to mention, my avatar is the target I shot at 25 yards with the Aspen. That's a 10 shot group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Florida_Man