Time to spend money: Best all around backyard target/hunting reliable PCP

Greetings all and thanks in advance!

I have been shooting firearms since I was young and I had an old crossman bb/pellet gun when I was young and shot my friend’s bb/pellet guns as well (mostly early 80). I live on a lot in the suburbs of a town now and have a small wooded area behind my house where I would like to shoot. However, I still have neighbors on both sides and am looking for my first PCP.

I tried a powerful break barrel as my first adult airgun, but I didn’t like the recoil or special hold one must do. 

So I want something that is in this order

-Quite enough for backyard shooting

-Reliable and easy to work on (when/if needed)

-Something I can hunt with some (probably in .25?) (from Crows up to perhaps a raccoon at closer range)

-Target shooting comfortably behind a bipod (up to and beyond 80 yards to stretch it out)

-Not too heavy (see hunting)

-Doesn’t have to be babied when carrying around (see hunting again)

-Doesn’t cost much over $1500 (hopefully less)

Mostly, I was looking at the Dreamline tactica or a Marauder on the lower end, but would love to hear what you all have to say. 

Thanks.

Sam

I picked up a .177 DreamTac a few months back and I am really happy with it. It is a tad sharp on the report without a moderator for my liking but it is acceptable. I added a Tanto and happy with the results. It is a very light gun. I like the balance and it begs to be shot offhand. I can run JSB 10.34gr or kick up the hammer spring and shoot the heavier 13.43gr Monsters (mine did NOT like the redesigned version) very accurately. I am also seeing promising results with 13.34gr JSB Knockout slugs, though I have only shot one 5 shot group at 45 yards due to weather. In any case, the accuracy would be boring if it wasn't so consistently amazing. The first shot of the day is as accurate as the last.

My first gun was a Marauder, which I still have and love for the unregulated beast that it is (well, for a .177). The odd thing is that the build quality of the DreamTac feels more solid than my Marauder, which is at least 2 pounds heavier. Even though it has a noodle for a barrel, I feel the entire barrel system is more secure and stable than the Marauder's. Cycling the action... The Marauder's rear bolt action can never compare. The triggers are a tossup. They're both great IMO.

I initially wanted an Impact or a Maverick for my second PCP, but I was not sold on the complexity of those contraptions for the price. The Dreamline seemed like a good value. A simpler, more straightforward gun for mere mortals like myself, with a price tag more down to earth. I guess if you need to make peak power for long range slug shooting, the more expensive stuff gets you closer faster. This is not my pursuit. I wanted a light, very accurate, flexible gun for the backyard mostly but suitable for field work. The DreamTac was at the extreme edge of what I was willing to pay. I was not disappointed.

You likely won't be satisfied with a budget rifle so I would suggest buying the best you can afford in whatever brand/rifle you decide on. Choose your preferred style, bull pup or traditional and then begin to narrow down your choices. If going traditional, Daystate or Air Arms would be two brands to look at. Both are known for their reliability.

Probably taipan is the way to go - I agree with the folks suggesting that based on all the good reviews I’ve seen and almost no posts about problems (unlike some top brands that seem to have lots of “help me” posts).

I will throw out a different suggestion just in case you have a similar feeling towards things that I do. What I would recommend is getting an airforce gun, a condor would be a place to start. Then get a good mold or two and some casting equipment. Casting is VERY easy with basic supplies (but you might get the opposite impression if you read peoples’ threads on casting on the forums). 

For me, the AF platform is ideal because it is one I can understand, troubleshoot, completely break down and rebuild with confidence and there are lots of upgrades (if you are a tinkerer) that anyone can install. 

Casting frees you from being dependent on the whims of vendors/manufacturers who seem to be taking full advantage of the ability to hike prices these days. 

So, for your budget I think you could get a great high powered utility gun that will not fail on you, a second barrel of a different caliber, and a full set of casting supplies. 

I have a Hatsan Flashpup in 22cal. It comes in 25cal. I've had it for 2 or 3 years.All I have done to it is put a coat of polyurethane on the stock.$400. It checks off the boxes, don't have to worry about a ding or two as you take it to and thru your hunting grounds and back. Only negative, it may or will be alittle louder than those mentioned above. There is a post here in AGN by Hajimoto that addresses that. I have no experience with a 25cal air rifle so I can't comment on how effective at 80 yds it would be on critters the size of coons. Take the rest of your cash and use it for a middle-grade scope or an air refill station.

I will second the Hatsan offering. I got an AT-44 in .177 (but did shoot a .25). I have the non QE version. I paid $249 on sale 4 or 5 years ago. I added a second air cylinder, regulators to both cylinders, a cheap Chinese scope and Yong Heng compressor, and a TKO muffler- and I still have $500 of your budget remaining! No they are as nice in the finish department, but I have only replaced 1 fill probe o-ring in the 4 to 5 years I have shot it. I have put easily 5000 pellets thru it and dispatched all but 1 of my pest varmint (One red squirrel that has become very attuned to the door opening and disappears for hours on end). The only thing I wish for this gun was weight reduction, but then I shoot mostly from a bench so it's not a deal breaker.