• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Time to get a .22 cal barrel for my Impact…

Rsfrid convinced me with his 8 yard .177 hole group thread… I’ve been resisting shooting in my basement for years but had to try it tonight just to see what I could do…

I shot 4 air rifles, my Crossman 760 I bought for nostalgia from my favorite local gun shop that closed up when the owners retired. I grew up in that shop. Trigger feels like the trigger on my Glock 17, actually I don’t think it’s as good. It was still fun though and I’ll keep playing with it. Shot my FWB 124 next after putting the scope on I’d just taken off. I’m not liking my springers much anymore and can’t say I enjoyed it, well it was my least favorite to shoot. Then it was my .177 Marauders turn. It shot well but this is a big bulky heavy gun and the bolt has a pretty heavy spring making it fairly hard to cock. I was resting across a stool while kneeling on the floor. Not a good setup and the Marauders bulk made it worse. I wasn’t going to shoot the Impact but I had too. Man, 25 caliber feels like a cannon in the basement after shooting the three .177’s and the pellets are a lot more expensive. This is where the .22 caliber barrel comes in…

I have an Impact and I don’t have a .22 cal air rifle now. I love shooting the Impact. The .22 pellets are substantially cheaper than .25 cal. My shot count will go way up. I’ll get some slugs for it. A new gun but much cheaper.

I’ll get a 700mm kit because that’s what my .25 is. I’m not getting a heavy slug liner yet, I’ll shoot mostly pellets and try a few light slugs just for the fun of experimenting. Don’t need to nor am I interested in shooting slugs indoors at 20 yards or less but can’t say I won’t be in that rabbit hole before too long. If I didn’t have the Marauder I’d be tempted to get a .177 barrel kit but I don’t need/want another .177 right now.

Is there anything I should know before I get the 22 barrel kit?

A different type of shooting is always a good excuse for a different gun. My motto with my two Impacts is once you get them dialed in, don’t poke them with a stick. You should look for a Dreamtac compact used. I have one and it will give you the feel you’re looking for and it shoots Walmart Crosman 14.3’s just fine. Once you get the reg set you can use the hammer wheel and transfer port wheel to get pellets screaming or turn it way down for basement work. I’d sell you mine but I keep trying to convince myself that I need a 14.3 gun.

87795118-01CD-49C2-86F3-C55266C62DE6.jpeg

Reactions: 450BM
You
Rsfrid convinced me with his 8 yard .177 hole group thread… I’ve been resisting shooting in my basement for years but had to try it tonight just to see what I could do…

I shot 4 air rifles, my Crossman 760 I bought for nostalgia from my favorite local gun shop that closed up when the owners retired. I grew up in that shop. Trigger feels like the trigger on my Glock 17, actually I don’t think it’s as good. It was still fun though and I’ll keep playing with it. Shot my FWB 124 next after putting the scope on I’d just taken off. I’m not liking my springers much anymore and can’t say I enjoyed it, well it was my least favorite to shoot. Then it was my .177 Marauders turn. It shot well but this is a big bulky heavy gun and the bolt has a pretty heavy spring making it fairly hard to cock. I was resting across a stool while kneeling on the floor. Not a good setup and the Marauders bulk made it worse. I wasn’t going to shoot the Impact but I had too. Man, 25 caliber feels like a cannon in the basement after shooting the three .177’s and the pellets are a lot more expensive. This is where the .22 caliber barrel comes in…

I have an Impact and I don’t have a .22 cal air rifle now. I love shooting the Impact. The .22 pellets are substantially cheaper than .25 cal. My shot count will go way up. I’ll get some slugs for it. A new gun but much cheaper.

I’ll get a 700mm kit because that’s what my .25 is. I’m not getting a heavy slug liner yet, I’ll shoot mostly pellets and try a few light slugs just for the fun of experimenting. Don’t need to nor am I interested in shooting slugs indoors at 20 yards or less but can’t say I won’t be in that rabbit hole before too long. If I didn’t have the Marauder I’d be tempted to get a .177 barrel kit but I don’t need/want another .177 right now.

Is there anything I should know before I get the 22 barrel kit?
You can get a caliber change kit from Huma and a mag and liner from anywhere and do a caliber change cheaper than buying a barrel kit if you like. Giving you another option, can leave the reg alone between .22/.25 to simplify things also.

Reactions: 450BM
I’m not trying to spend your money for you Bushmaster, I just can’t picture a 700mm Impact as a basement gun. But I guess you could always use reduced loads in your 450 for turkey also. If you do go .22 and have no plan for your life to revolve around slugs, just get a 600mm barrel. When you’re legally hunting squirrel next year with it you’ll thank me. A properly tuned .22 pellet shooting Impact is almost silent. And with 600mm of barrel, you battle less harmonics.

Reactions: 450BM and L.Leon
I’m not trying to spend your money for you Bushmaster, I just can’t picture a 700mm Impact as a basement gun. But I guess you could always use reduced loads in your 450 for turkey also. If you do go .22 and have no plan for your life to revolve around slugs, just get a 600mm barrel. When you’re legally hunting squirrel next year with it you’ll thank me. A properly tuned .22 pellet shooting Impact is almost silent. And with 600mm of barrel, you battle less harmonics.
That’s okay, I appreciate the input. My first thought for the 700mm was so the bottle wasn’t forward of the muzzle. I didn’t look at or measure anything so 600mm may be perfect. My other thought was it would be more slug friendly but I don’t need to go there, I can do what I want right now with the pellets. So yeah, I’m just putting my thoughts out there and listening to input.

The trigger on the Impact is so much better than the Marauder and the side lever cocking is smoother and easier too.
That and I can dial it down to get over 200 shots with one fill. And… the Impact magazines hold 3 times the pellets and are much easier to load. This is a great excuse to shoot more, cheaper and easier with my favorite air rifle.

And yes, I’ll be able to hunt LEGALLY with in Pennsylvania unlike the 25 caliber!