Time to cull the herd.

Q4 2022 proved to me it’s time to cull the local herd a little.

In November, I had some squirrels decide to move into my gutter. I’m sure they thought the gutter helmets kept them nice and cozy. I evicted them in late November/ early December.

At the end of December, they got under the hood of my daughter’s CRV (<5000 miles on it) and ate the engine wiring harness to the tune of $4200+.

I decided it’s time to make things less hospitable. I’ve put out a couple owl decoys. I’ve also started spraying the engine compartment with peppermint oil.

I also decided to go a little further. Since a .22 might attract more interest than I want in my neighborhood, I ordered a Gamo Fusion Mach 1. I cleaned the bore last night. Knowing the included scope was probably garbage, I picked up a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 today and mounted it. Tomorrow I will be sighting it in and I plan on doing some population adjustments.

I may just put a .22 short through the lever just as a point of reference on the sound.

As retired carpenter, I've seen first hand what a squirrel can do to a house unchecked. Urban shooting has risks...Don't get caught shooting them! If you can do it unseen and unheard, 👍. Most municipalities have regulations prohibiting shooting within its city limits. This includes air rifles.
Another option is to use a live trap and drown them.

Reactions: qball and rcs9250
As retired carpenter, I've seen first hand what a squirrel can do to a house unchecked. Urban shooting has risks...Don't get caught shooting them! If you can do it unseen and unheard, 👍. Most municipalities have regulations prohibiting shooting within its city limits. This includes air rifles.
Thanks. I’m not inside city limits. Although my county jut passed an ordinance against discharging a firearm within 300 yards of a dwelling (which is crazy, in my opinion-people should just be responsible and 300 yards would require homesite larger than 10 acres), it does specifically say firearms. I am compliant.

It sounds like my automotive comprehensive is going to cover it. Lower deductible and a comp claim on auto doesn’t sound like it will affect my rates or rating.
That's great to hear. The economy where I'm at would make that a serious blow to finances. Hondas are great cars if you can keep the squirrels away.

live trap with a dab of peanut butter will have them line up taking numbers to get in . OR just shoot them !.

Reactions: AirDevil
Sounds like my yard before I started shooting them 3 years ago. I still get a few but they are not chewing on gutters and running over the roof constantly like they used to. I find it very satisfying to see them drop stone dead from a tree.

Not all scopes react well to the unique recoil from a "springer". If you are fond of your scope you might want to check to see if it is springer rated. My other caution is that many airguns are accurate only with a particular pellet. Some people get frustrated because their gun doesn't like Crosmans or whatever pellet they chose. I think it is more productive to figure out what they like and then feed it to them. You might want to figure out what weight pellet gives you a reasonable velocity and then try both H&N and JSB pellets around that weight. The alloy of lead is different for H&N and JSB. Only one of my 5 will shoot both accurately. I shoot PCPs but my lowest velocity gun is about 750 fps. The trajectory gets loopier as you go lower in velocity. 4 of my 5 are over 800 fps. Only one is over 900 - going too high can be an accuracy issue.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Unless I had open range and good shooting areas I would avoid any ordinances or neighbors.
I would live trap and shoot the caged squirrel with an air pistol in the garage out of sight.
Personally, I have never liked drowning anything since we had barn cats with unwanted kittens because it is a slow cruel way to die.
As a hunter and trapper I strive to, at the very least, kill efficiently and quickly.

Thanks. I’m not inside city limits. Although my county jut passed an ordinance against discharging a firearm within 300 yards of a dwelling (which is crazy, in my opinion-people should just be responsible and 300 yards would require homesite larger than 10 acres), it does specifically say firearms. I am compliant.
Technically a black powder gun or rifle isn't a "Firearm" but if you shoot one and get reported you will deal with cops that make up the law as they go along and you will have to hire a Liar, I mean Lawyer. Cops can and have declared that paintball guns are firearms. Like I said, they tend to make it up as they go along.

• Haha
Reactions: tibor
Sounds like my yard before I started shooting them 3 years ago. I still get a few but they are not chewing on gutters and running over the roof constantly like they used to. I find it very satisfying to see them drop stone dead from a tree.

Not all scopes react well to the unique recoil from a "springer". If you are fond of your scope you might want to check to see if it is springer rated. My other caution is that many airguns are accurate only with a particular pellet. Some people get frustrated because their gun doesn't like Crosmans or whatever pellet they chose. I think it is more productive to figure out what they like and then feed it to them. You might want to figure out what weight pellet gives you a reasonable velocity and then try both H&N and JSB pellets around that weight. The alloy of lead is different for H&N and JSB. Only one of my 5 will shoot both accurately. I shoot PCPs but my lowest velocity gun is about 750 fps. The trajectory gets loopier as you go lower in velocity. 4 of my 5 are over 800 fps. Only one is over 900 - going too high can be an accuracy issue.
The scope is supposed to be rated for the abuse of air rifles. As it is a Vortex, I don’t worry too much because they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty and one of the best customer service reputations out there.

I understand the air guns can be VERY ammo sensitive. I’m going to start with the pellets I have, but if I don’t get the results I want I’ll try some others. I’m focused on the heavier pellets to keep the velocity and sound down and to maintain impact.

Technically a black powder gun or rifle isn't a "Firearm" but if you shoot one and get reported you will deal with cops that make up the law as they go along and you will have to hire a Liar, I mean Lawyer. Cops can and have declared that paintball guns are firearms. Like I said, they tend to make it up as they go along.
Although black powder is fun, I expect there will be little notice or concern with an air rifle. I never drew any notice with my Crossman 1322 pistol and it is much louder than that Gamo. Black powder would probably draw a lot more attention.

Regular snap type rat traps, overgrown mouse traps, work on them baited with peanut butter. Drill a hole and run a wire/rope through the base and anchor it, they don't all die instantly, doesn't bother me in the slightest. A squirrel is nothing more than a bushy tailed rat. Only leave them during daylight hours, trip or pick them up before dark and reset in the morning. Lots of critters at night, no need to harass them with the trap. Of course, if you have pets outside, not an option. Same with very young children. Just place them where you normally see the buggers running about, they will find them.

I work for beer. No cheap stuff.

Screenshot_20220507-172445_Google.jpg