• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Time saversI

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
Today I tried going out shootin, never took a shot nasty storm. I went down to my work area to clean a 98. Got the stock off and looked for something to rest the cylinder on to knock out the pins. Screw driver handle or hammer. Déjà vu. On the last couple weeks I taken 8 rifles apart. And had the same issue. I went down my wood shop and made these. A little crude but gems.
First off I made a jig to house the cylinder when doing pins, installing the trigger and reinstalling the barrel. Made the opening an inch wide so the cylinder is pinched between the wood. I used pine because it’s soft and I sanded the edges to soften them. It grabbed nicely. The pine was a full 2 inches thick to give the pins room to drop.
047AC2CC-004C-4CF8-A9C8-B661774C4FCD.jpeg
AD7F77E3-AC85-4573-93A3-4B11E14ACCF8.jpeg

Talk about make it easy and so much more rigid.
Now this one drove me crazy. Problem solved.
I bought a spring press. $150. POS. I made two no three more home made and ho hum they worked. Still not happy. Talked to a member who recommended to do by hand. And I did, but struggled like hell trying to apply pressure on the end of the cylinder.
‘Again scrap pine and I just left a dowel. Should have drilled a hole and put a dowel in.
9EF5074C-2320-4CE8-AB8D-6E3DD0228ECF.jpeg

Now the problem is when you apply pressure and turn, everything slides. Super frustrating.
75A7DCFF-94E6-4410-931F-97BF9115BDC0.jpeg

So I went in kitchen when the queen bee wasn’t looking and borrowed a silicone jar opener. It actually turned the job into a joke. I’m going to put 2 way tape with foam backing on the end.
63C5C01C-AB78-465D-84DF-26C6A53571F2.jpeg

I‘m hoping to go through every rifle and trying to make easier and safer. Crow

You have some really great ideas. Once you get it down pat you could make a bunch and sell them to other air gunners.
Thanks but that’s work, too busy working on the springers. Crow
@crowski A long wood clamp works fine as a spring compressor, especially the one-hand quick grip kind.
Probably have 40 bar clamps and 20 quick grips. Tried them both
5CD39AF5-0AE8-4BDA-BABC-5D58990B5C22.jpeg

‘They worked but not near as easy as the dowel. Way better control and feel . Crow

Why fight with spring removal? Just get a Tx 200 and your problem is solved. Just push the action down on a wooden spoon to compress the spring and then loosen/ remove the locking bolt with a 10mm wrench. Simple, safe, brilliant. It is one of the main reasons that I settled on this rifle.
Another TX. If I got another it would be a Pro Sport.
71981FD3-C5A4-47C0-B368-37BE391C18A7.jpeg

I changed springs on the TX and the PS. Honestly, I think the HW50 and HW85 were both easier so far. Just push and twist. The TX was a dream to work on don’t get me wrong. My gig made it a piece of cake. Crow
I have a Wheeler Universal Bench Block that I love. For driving out pins, I usually use a sand filled squeeze bag from my shooting bench. I like how it cradles the receiver. For scope mounting and stock fiddling I might use a set of shooting bags. I like your tools (scratch awl this time) and bench. Good posts!
Thanks. Sand bag good idea. I scoured my wood shop for useful tools. Managed to find a few. The awl came from Lee Valley. Awesome tool store. Best in Canada. Crow
a block of wood and a dowel, THANKS Crow.
I can put a foot on the block to hold it or clamp it to the bench,,,, it is a good day for my HW50s
your wall mount gun rack is what I use also:D
I think a 3/4 dowel would be perfect. Just adhere a little silicone to prevent slippage. Made the job simple.

Reactions: TXRMike