• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Time for Unlimited Class in AAFTA?

I am thinking that "places to shoot " has more to do with declining / new participation ,. That is why i am in the process of getting permission from my range to cut two lanes (to start) into the wooded area . Then we will see what happens . there is no FT within 2.5 hours drive and Roz's Hollow is closing in another two weeks or so i am told.
just a note: the guys in Ocala FL set up once a month at a gulf club so they can shoot FT .

I am a relative new guy , met a great bunch of guys at TN state Championship 2 years ago . guys from all over the USA . Fly and drive in ,rent room and meals , that was impressive and at the same time daunting . I am retired and luckily have a good retirement $$ but what about the new younger guys can they afford the time and expense away from the family ? I think if there were more places to shoot , maybe not "ideal" but closer anyway .

How many of us with back yard lanes would open up to 4,5,6 guys once a month ? Personally i would drive an hour or more to shoot .

maybe my rant should be another thread ?

Last edited:
Not sure this warrants a new or special class, but if you want to call it a class, why not have a way for people to casually participate in the game? Maybe the rules are 20fpe max, no tripods, gun must be shot from the shoulder (no rear bags/monopods), and do as you must to make the shot. Ignore the forced position, but if the lane is configured in such a way standing is the only way to make the shot, use a tree or tall sticks for support - do as you must. You want to shoot prone, then shoot prone. You want attach a bipod, then attach one. Laser range finder, have at it. Sit on a stool, that's cool too. You have a 120 power scope you want to use, that's fine too.

There doesn't need to be a national level competition for this rule set such that a national champion be identified, but noting it as an acceptable way to participate in the game at the club level is a way to open the game to more shooters.

I agree with other's comments that getting new people to try the game is difficult to begin with, not due to equipment or restrictive rules, but I know there are people that are fearful of post a score for comparison; they will not play the game unless they know they can win. Other barriers to recruiting new shooters to the sport is converting firearms shooters to air gun; cost of equipment to get started; stage of life and time commitment. So, the people most likely to get started in FT are the people that are on this forum. I challenge to those people to least once per year, get out and play one air gun game in a structured event - FT, benchrest, whatever - get off your own property and try something at least once a year.

Not sure this warrants a new or special class, but if you want to call it a class, why not have a way for people to casually participate in the game? Maybe the rules are 20fpe max, no tripods, gun must be shot from the shoulder (no rear bags/monopods), and do as you must to make the shot. Ignore the forced position, but if the lane is configured in such a way standing is the only way to make the shot, use a tree or tall sticks for support - do as you must. You want to shoot prone, then shoot prone. You want attach a bipod, then attach one. Laser range finder, have at it. Sit on a stool, that's cool too. You have a 120 power scope you want to use, that's fine too.

There doesn't need to be a national level competition for this rule set such that a national champion be identified, but noting it as an acceptable way to participate in the game at the club level is a way to open the game to more shooters.

I agree with other's comments that getting new people to try the game is difficult to begin with, not due to equipment or restrictive rules, but I know there are people that are fearful of post a score for comparison; they will not play the game unless they know they can win. Other barriers to recruiting new shooters to the sport is converting firearms shooters to air gun; cost of equipment to get started; stage of life and time commitment. So, the people most likely to get started in FT are the people that are on this forum. I challenge to those people to least once per year, get out and play one air gun game in a structured event - FT, benchrest, whatever - get off your own property and try something at least once a year.
Yes , as mentioned b4 . maybe a "bring what you got " fun day's ! got a Walmart springer = only shoot to 30 meters target if that what YOU want to do.
and like i mentioned b4 it doesnt have to be a 60 target and 20 lanes

Most clubs allow shooters to shoot anyway they want under 20fpe. But their scores can't count in the AAFTA Grand Prix

This discussion is about creating an official AAFTA class that does count in the official AAFTA GP.

So, come and shoot how you like if you don't care about traveling and being part of a national competition.

Wayne

Reactions: L.Leon
If you want to widen the line between classes consider eliminating rangefinding in Hunter. Cap the power at 16X and cover the parallax lines. Then a combined open/unlimited would stand out from hunter. Here in Canada we have been allowing open shooters to NOT shoot the standing/kneeling positions if they choose. A lot of those shooters choose to shoot those lanes in their normal positions. The match directors have started adding extra targets for the open shooters so they don't get easy lanes. This allows the older shooters to skip the difficult positions. As an old, fat guy I've considered open to save my knees but I like the challenge of hunter

I enjoy the conversation and hearing others ideas. I don't see more classes or more rules bringing out more people. In other disciplines I have been in, complication stoped growth. We do need more local shoots! The big two day shoots or shoots with prizes only attract FT shooters. My local club has about 5 shoots a year. Not a lot of people are going to go out and buy special equipment that they can't use more often.

I'm all for an "Unlimited Class", but I'm thinking that I will try shooting "Limited Rifle" class all next AAFTA season. I won't use any shooting aids unless they are allowed in ALL Divisions of AAFTA: Hunter, Open, and WFTF.

So: 12fpe, 16x scope, no clicking, no bipod, no harness, no jacket, no riser, no butthook

We already have a so-called "Limited Pistol" class, but it still allows things that are not allowed in Hunter (i.e. clicking), so it's not all that "Limited".

We don't need a new rifle class designation for "Limited Rifle", because it's already AAFTA legal, regardless of which class I decide to shoot in at any given match.

Scott, that would be a great class. If I shoot FT next year, I’ll join you.

Mike
Mike,

I'd even offer the award. $$$ even if it would entice more to try. Sort of what we mentioned earlier.

Since it's OK to limit yourself in AAFTA, but it's not OK to use extra gear.

Shooters would submit three AAFTA GP scores for the season, to arrive at their total score (100 x 3 = 300 possible). Just like the existing GP. Except each score must be from shooting in different Divisions, one from Hunter, one from Open, and one from WFTF. AND - the main catch is that all shooting must be done with the same equipment and settings.

So:
rifle kept at 12fpe or less
scope kept at 16x or less
seat height kept at 6" or less
riser fixed at 6" or less
no bipod
no butthook
no shooting jacket
no thighpod
no clicking
only 2 point slings allowed

It's a "Limited" class, the opposite approach of an "Unlimited" class.

There was an AAFTA proposal put to vote back in 2013 I think, from Ron Robinson (AirNGasMan). It was for a new "Limited" GP class, 12x fixed and 20fpe, but everything else was mostly the same as I listed above. Since it was predicated on eliminating Hunter Piston from the GP, which I was shooting at the time, I voted against the proposal and it failed to pass. I might have voted for it otherwise.

We don't need approval from AAFTA as we are not suggesting any new equipment allowances. And we could give out an end of season award (outside of AAFTA).

I'll do it. Mike, you said you would be willing. AirNGasman?

I would not expect it to be widely popular. Unless? - how much $$$ would I/we need to put up to get commitments from several people to compete for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
Scott, that would be fun class! It certainly would be interesting, think I have a gun for it too so I'll be game too. And we don't need no stinking money to compete.

Only concern is this is a slippery slope. I know you will get bored and next thing you know you gonna go British on us to start the ultra limited class with 6FPE, no raiser, no cushions(only single layer cardboard) and no touching parallax either! Maybe even go as far as proof of purchase and the entire setup has to be under 500 dollars. o_O

EDIT: instead of UnLimited we can call it UltraLimited class or the Concours D'LeMons class
......I LIKE IT!

Last edited:
Mike,

I'd even offer the award. $$$ even if it would entice more to try. Sort of what we mentioned earlier.

Since it's OK to limit yourself in AAFTA, but it's not OK to use extra gear.

Shooters would submit three AAFTA GP scores for the season, to arrive at their total score (100 x 3 = 300 possible). Just like the existing GP. Except each score must be from shooting in different Divisions, one from Hunter, one from Open, and one from WFTF. AND - the main catch is that all shooting must be done with the same equipment and settings.

So:
rifle kept at 12fpe or less
scope kept at 16x or less
seat height kept at 6" or less
riser fixed at 6" or less
no bipod
no butthook
no shooting jacket
no thighpod
no clicking
only 2 point slings allowed

It's a "Limited" class, the opposite approach of an "Unlimited" class.

There was an AAFTA proposal put to vote back in 2013 I think, from Ron Robinson (AirNGasMan). It was for a new "Limited" GP class, 12x fixed and 20fpe, but everything else was mostly the same as I listed above. Since it was predicated on eliminating Hunter Piston from the GP, which I was shooting at the time, I voted against the proposal and it failed to pass. I might have voted for it otherwise.

We don't need approval from AAFTA as we are not suggesting any new equipment allowances. And we could give out an end of season award (outside of AAFTA).

I'll do it. Mike, you said you would be willing. AirNGasman?

I would not expect it to be widely popular. Unless? - how much $$$ would I/we need to put up to get commitments from several people to compete for it.
Throw out the slings and I'm in.

Throw out the slings and I'm in.
I don't use slings on my FT rifles.

However - 2 point slings are allowed in all AAFTA Divisions. If that were your only shooting aid that you always used, you would be allowed to shoot Hunter, Open, and WFTF. So it fits with the "Limited" designation.

If you don't like seeing slings, take it up with AAFTA rules. Their lowest common denomitor rules are what I'm using for "Limited".

"Limited" class - ANY legal AAFTA aids that are legal in ALL Divisions
"Unlimited" class - ALL legal AATFA aids that are legal in ANY Divisions

"Limited" and "Unlimited" are opposite approaches. "Unlimited" style does not qualify for AAFTA GP points. "Limited" style qualifies for AAFTA GP points in ANY Division.