• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Time for a new optic

Hi all,

A couple of months now i have been fine using a simple 3-9x40 hawke scope plinking away but now i am starting again to shoot at longer ranges I have found the scope just doesn't cut it. (impossible to shoot proper groups at 50 yards and out since you almost can't see the small bullseye + thick crosshairs)

So I am opting for a new scope but within a reasonable price range :)

Any suggestions and personal experiences are welcome :)

many scopes that pop up to my mind , but all are around the price of the sidewinder tactical.

mtc makes nice scopes with their special retical.
hawke sidewinder 20x half mill retical is my favourite by far so far.
other brands are falcon , vortex (superb custumer service btw) , aeon ,,, some by leapers to if your on a budget .

falcon make ffp scopes with same price as the mentioned sidewinder btw ,, and its mill to mill also meaning that doing the mathematics no longer is needed for dialing . each click is 1/10 mill if im not mistaken.
lets say your rifle is zero at 80 m ,,and target is 120 m then just take a shot and spot with your mill dot scope ... see that it is impacting 2,5 mill lower ... give elevation 25 klicks and your sett :D 

personaly im more of a hold over guy , due to the more complex dialing with a mill/moa scope that i mostly have been using in the past.

Assuming you're shooting a PCP and not a springer then the field is wide open. I've been very happy with the Nikon Prostaff I put on my rimfire. Check the specs on Nikon's site however since some only focus down to 50 yards.

Mueller scopes seem to be well thought of too and are reasonably priced.

My little Discovery has the same Hawke scope you currently have and I get by ok in the backyard (43 yards). Could be better. I haven't found the reticle to be overly thick.

Alan

"Alan_Gage"Assuming you're shooting a PCP and not a springer then the field is wide open. I've been very happy with the Nikon Prostaff I put on my rimfire. Check the specs on Nikon's site however since some only focus down to 50 yards.

Mueller scopes seem to be well thought of too and are reasonably priced.

My little Discovery has the same Hawke scope you currently have and I get by ok in the backyard (43 yards). Could be better. I haven't found the reticle to be overly thick.

Alan
Indeed a pcp :)
The scope is ok but i really want to squeeze the gun for all the accuracy it's got :) that and i'm a bit spoiled with the scope that is on my rimfire rifle so 9x magnification just doesn't do it for me anymore :)

if at a budget , i would advice a hawke vantage/varmint sf ,, they come in 3-12 , 4-16 and 6-24 .
all with front lense 44mm
all with half mill that is true at 10 x ..... alot like the sidewinder retical , tho without the hollow beems ,, its like a less complicated sidewinder.

turrets are non exposed hunter style turrets.

it dont have the silly ilumination that so many scopes have now a days , so its fairly light and compact ,, around 500 gram and 345 mm long .

just orderd one in 3-12x44 for my springer 177

check em out on the hawke sport optics home page

"led_lobber86"if at a budget , i would advice a hawke vantage/varmint sf ,, they come in 3-12 , 4-16 and 6-24 .
all with front lense 44mm
all with half mill that is true at 10 x ..... alot like the sidewinder retical , tho without the hollow beems ,, its like a less complicated sidewinder.

turrets are non exposed hunter style turrets.

it dont have the silly ilumination that so many scopes have now a days , so its fairly light and compact ,, around 500 gram and 345 mm long .

just orderd one in 3-12x44 for my springer 177

check em out on the hawke sport optics home page

Will surely check them out :)
I've also heard alot of good things about nikko stirling scopes, anyone had experience with those?

I had a Hawke Varmint and had to send it back, maybe I just got a bad one but the optics were terrible. I have a Bushnell
Legend and I must say that for the money,
it has very good glass and is a side focus. The only negative I have is it only focuses down to 20 yards, but that's not a biggie. It's worth checking out. They go for $250 here in the states.