• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Time for a new compressor

The surgery toke me about four-five hours, two coffee's and almost a six pack if I remember well :)
From the new-basic YH (left) removed the upper half to a box with other spare parts, from the old broken-upgrade YH (right) moved all the upper half to a new YH. Also replaced the second stage brass piston it was showing signs of oil leak.

View attachment 274935

When all done back together I ran it for couple minutes and monitoring the rising Temp showed the second stage was burning in, the current was drawing surprisingly below 15A in contrast to 18-21A before the surgery on old motor.
Today, after a third tank fill-up I consider it all settled, with 15 minutes run per session, the Temp stabilized about 55C at 15A.
I am speculating within a next hour runtime the second stage pistons will get in shape and the Temp will drop further maybe 50C.
Pretty much happy with a result, for $200 CAD = $150 USD + a coffee + couple beers + some greasy nails, I got the YH back working, got a full box of spare parts...........so far so good ;)

Why did you drill those holes in the base of your old case?🤔

Fly
:)
Cooling holes,
also you can see that I removed from inside the capacitor and clamp it outside of housing, so the airflow can be less interrupted.
Also, I removed the YH fan from the rotor shaft and installed a high flow fan outside at the rear (AC Infinity has a decent selection of fans for a large variety of applications). This way the blower fan is independent of the compressor and usually when I shot off the machine I let the fan run for couple more minutes.
Edit:
I forgot that this my post didn't show anything from my YH setup. Here it comes one last year picture ... in meantime I moved out to my garage, wife complained for a oil smell.

20211030_174323.jpg

Last edited:
Just received my vevor blue Walmart pump $217 shipped and w/ a 3 year warranty. First use, it’s much quieter than my ready air I send back after 20 mins of use. It did take about 10 min to my fx impact m3 from 150 to 240bar when to 44c for temp. Hopefully it will last longer then the ready air. Also much smaller and lighter. It doesn’t have a auto shutoff. U have to turn it off yourself, but for $217 I’ll take it.

Reactions: Fly
I don't much like math.
But it's my friend in tough times like these....

The numbers speak for themselves:

(A)
14M one way to the dive shop.
56M total: drop off one day, pick up the next day.

(B)
56M at 23mpg = 2 gal gasoline
$12 in gasoline per bottle fill (1gal = $6 in Peru)

(C)
$15 charge per tank fill at the dive shop

(D)
Tuxing Txet061 portable compressor (12V, 110V, 220V) =
$380 = $213 compressor + $167 shipping from China to Peru

🔴 ➔ ➔ ➔
$380 compressor /divided by/
$27 cost per fill
= after only 14 fills I break even economically!

🔺 Let's not even count the 56 hours of driving in heavy traffic for those 14 fills
(or the wear and tear on my car of those 56 hours)....

➔ ➔ ➔
🔶 I'm ordering one TODAY!!
I was planning to hold off on this piece of equipment till the end of the decade.
But math convinced me otherwise....
Even at the $167 shipping price set by slit-eyed highway robbers it's well worth it.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matthias

Last edited:
the yong heng,the cheap little chinese exploding compressor.i see guys saying they are a waist of money and we should spend thousands of dollars on a more expensive units.how wrong are they?well I bought a yong heng five years ago and it's still chugging along doing just fine filling my rifles day after day.so what I say to the guys that day they junk and a waist of money is you fools couldn't be more wrong.the guys putting down the cheap Chinese compressor are the same a$$hples that started to spread the bullpoop about them exploding, which was just that a bullpoop lie to boost their own dumb a,$$es.so for give years I been using the yong heng without any problems.think about this,for just over 200 bucks I bought my unit, been pumping rifles for five years without any problems...so buy the high priced slow filling compressor and I stick with the cheap little chinese compressor that never exploded and never will.

Reactions: bigHUN
the yong heng,the cheap little chinese exploding compressor.i see guys saying they are a waist of money and we should spend thousands of dollars on a more expensive units.how wrong are they?well I bought a yong heng five years ago and it's still chugging along doing just fine filling my rifles day after day.so what I say to the guys that day they junk and a waist of money is you fools couldn't be more wrong.the guys putting down the cheap Chinese compressor are the same a$$hples that started to spread the bullpoop about them exploding, which was just that a bullpoop lie to boost their own dumb a,$$es.so for give years I been using the yong heng without any problems.think about this,for just over 200 bucks I bought my unit, been pumping rifles for five years without any problems...so buy the high priced slow filling compressor and I stick with the cheap little chinese compressor that never exploded and never will.
Consider yourself very, very lucky.

And if you scrounge up some $$$ then why would you need a degree at all?
I expect my MCH-6 to last at least 2000 hours of run time before a major overhaul. (materials for overhaul @ $300, and the 2000 hours of runtime again)
Yes it's 10x the amount of a YH but it runs 10x the time at least and there's no hassle.
Plug it in and run it, oh and dessicant filters last 15+ runhours at full blast (100liters/min). Thats for breathable air, it's 20 hours for airgun use.

Fill for others at a true 4500psi and earn some of your compressor investment back + dessicant filters.

Like buying/running an old plunger car, cheap to get but maintenance it is expensive.

Anyone here run a YH for more than 30 hours?
10$ an hour and that would make a brand new Coltri or Alkin yours in 250 hours of runtime.
And no waterpark mess and no changing tampons and dessicant evert 25min!

Did i mention that a true diving quality compressor will keep it's value and can easily be sold for what it's worth.
Try that with a 30+ run hours YH!
How long have you had your MCH-6 and how much run time do you have on it? I am getting a quote on one and was looking for some comfort level that they are something I want to invest in.

I bought a Tuxing twin cylinder with dual filters and on board cooling system. Bought it direct from Tuxing.com for $899.00 delivered to my door. I have about 10 fills on my 97 cf Great White tank. Other than a few coolant leaks which I took care with zip ties It has performed flawless. It fills from 2800 Psi to 4500 psi in about 12minutes. It is the 110 ac version. On board temp gauge never get above 172 degrees when filling in 90 degrees ambient temperature.

Consider yourself very, very lucky.
not luck I just used my brain and didn't overheat it,it fills rifles in 40-50 seconds.that is hardly enough to harm the unit...I also know of many other guys that have had same experience I have had with the cheap exploding compressor.so now tell me how lucky I am not to be blown sky high... 😆

There is no question that the most expensive element with this air gun hobby is air. Having a compressor to fill your bottles is absolutely necessary. The use of a hand pump is possible of course, but the physical effort required makes them impractical. Taking your bottle to a compressor shop is also possible, but it is expensive in both money and time, but having a compressor is also not the end of the requirement. As many have stated, it is not practical to take your compressor to the range. So that raises another requirement, portable storage. I can shoot all day at a range with a 12 liter bottle and still have air left. You cannot do that with a 6.8 or 9 liter bottle. Of course you can take two bottles of the smaller sizes and have enough air, but these cost money as well. Assuming the storage bottle is your chosen solution, steel bottles are the cheapest but very heavy. You can go with aluminum bottles for a bit more cost, but they are limited in pressure. That leaves carbon fiber. The CF bottles are the best for both pressure and weight, but they are expensive. So, in summing the requirement, a shooter needs both a compressor and at least one bottle. Now, here is the gotcha, the cheap Chinese compressors will fill a gun and not overheat, but they will NOT fill a 12 liter bottle continuously without failing in very short order. No matter how you solve the air issue, the air solution will always cost more than the the most expensive air gun and then some. We can argue over which solution to use, but it is only semantics.

I have chosen the quality equipment path, because over time, it is clearly the least costly path. This is especially obvious if you consider residual resale value.

Spending money on these cheap Chinese compressors is a true waste, because they have very poor cooling and their duty cycle is very short. I use an old Bauer that I picked up in a junk yard. I had to clean it up a bit and fit the pump with professional controls, but it can run for many hours on end and never overheat. My guess is that it is at least 40 years old yet it will top up a 12 liter bottle from 200 Bar to 250 Bar in under 5 minutes. It is a 4 cylinder model mounted on a steel chassis with a carry handle at both ends ( 2 man carry). It occupies very little space. It is L 36", W 19". H 23" and weighs about 80 lbs. That space includes all the controls and filters.

I understand people buy these Chinese specials because they cannot afford good quality compressors, but they are not saving money. I found my bare Bauer pump for $200 at the time. It stayed in storage for a long time while I had no use for it. When I needed it, I spent about $800 for control, safety and electronic parts which I then assembled to my own design including a self made output manifold with gauges and connection ports. It is doable. These things are available. Just keep looking for them.
IMG_1730.JPG