Time for a new compressor

OK, I got home from a trip with a new compressor.
In my local classifieds I found a guy have a full skid of these, yes it is a basic model compressor but for a $200 CAD = $155 USD what can go wrong?
Next week I am away camping, enough time to figure what parts to move to which compressor, either to dress up the basic one from old parts or take the new crank housing and replace on mine...
Let's see it, is it a genuine YH?

Not all of us can afford the high dollar compressors. Not many here find deals on these scrap yard deals.
I myself retired 15 years ago & do not have the buying power that I once did. I agree with what some of you
are saying. But these cheap compressors do give the ones as us the ability to enjoy this hobby so it is what
it is.

Fly

Reactions: mcoulter
I love all of these deep pocket recommendations when many can't afford to dump $3K on a high-end gun let alone a compressor
That's why most of us always say to get whatever is in your budget. However, you also hear of some people buying 4 or 5 cheap compressors and wondering why they keep getting the same results. In my crazy logic, IF you have a bit of patience, you can save that money and buy one good compressor.

That is why everyone should have a handpump in the house ;)
I do have a handpump for several years for emergency, still in the original nylon bag. But I have these ;)

20200409_223845.jpg

I love all of these deep pocket recommendations when many can't afford to dump $3K on a high-end gun let alone a compressor
I find it amusing that airgun buyers don't complain about $2,000 plus PCPs but balk at spending $3K for a decent compressor. The $2,000 plus PCP will be worth $800 in ten years due to planned obsolescence from the FX's and Daystates' of the industry. A $3,000 compressor will be worth $2,500 in ten years and will have paid for itself in saved travel expenses, no filling fees, no tank inspections, and no headaches finding parts and repairing compressors that don't last a year. The best analogy I can offer is someone who buys expensive sports cars but only uses regular gas to save money.

Last edited:
I find it amusing that airgun buyers don't complain about $2,000 plus PCPs but balk at spending $3K for a decent compressor. The $2,000 plus PCP will be worth $800 in ten years due to planned obsolescence from the FX's and Daystates' of the industry. A $3,000 compressor will be worth $2,500 in ten years and will have paid for itself in travel expenses saved, filling fees, inspection fees saved, and headaches saved from breakdowns of compressors that aren't built to last more than a year. The best analogy I can offer is someone who buys expensive sports cars but only buys 87 octane regular gas to save money.

I'm fairly new to PCP. Still on my first compressor, an air-cooled GX compressor. It's filled my two SCBA tanks, maybe 10 times for my big one, and 40 times for my smaller one.

I have nothing against getting a fancy compressor, but so far I haven't needed one.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
OK, I got home from a trip with a new compressor.
In my local classifieds I found a guy have a full skid of these, yes it is a basic model compressor but for a $200 CAD = $155 USD what can go wrong?
Next week I am away camping, enough time to figure what parts to move to which compressor, either to dress up the basic one from old parts or take the new crank housing and replace on mine...
Does he still have any compressors?

had 2 omega compressors total junk one had less than 5 hours other 9 coltri know i love it
Wow, I guess I got lucky with my Omega compressors. I have over 50 hours on the Omega personal compressor. I purchased the Omega Trail charger last year and I have had good luck with that. Filled rifles and tanks. Can bring it with me any where. Runs off my car battery like a champ. Unlimited air anywhere.

Reactions: AirGunShooter
Maybe off of a Tesla battery, but then Tesla guy is gonna need a ride home. :eek:
You could run it off a generator, but it’s also going to be a big generator.
That was my point. There isn't a one size fits all approach. Big bottles are of less use if your gun uses 4500 psi, unless you tether. A large commercial duty compressor won't help you when you are at the range and you only get 3 shots per fill. A twelve volt compressor has its place so you can run it off your car, or run it off tool batteries. None of them are easy to carry out to a hunting blind, you have to hope you can hand pump at that place.

The surgery toke me about four-five hours, two coffee's and almost a six pack if I remember well :)
From the new-basic YH (left) removed the upper half to a box with other spare parts, from the old broken-upgrade YH (right) moved all the upper half to a new YH. Also replaced the second stage brass piston it was showing signs of oil leak.

YH surgery.JPG

When all done back together I ran it for couple minutes and monitoring the rising Temp showed the second stage was burning in, the current was drawing surprisingly below 15A in contrast to 18-21A before the surgery on old motor.
Today, after a third tank fill-up I consider it all settled, with 15 minutes run per session, the Temp stabilized about 55C at 15A.
I am speculating within a next hour runtime the second stage pistons will get in shape and the Temp will drop further maybe 50C.
Pretty much happy with a result, for $200 CAD = $150 USD + a coffee + couple beers + some greasy nails, I got the YH back working, got a full box of spare parts...........so far so good ;)

Can I haul these $3000 compressors to my club, and run them on batteries since there is no power at the rifle range?
No, but you can take a 6.8L or 9L tank in the field depending on your requirements. These tanks will fill your PCPs much faster than any 12V portable compressor. You also run your car using a portable compressor which burns $$$ gasoline. Portable compressors take up to 10 minutes for a 500cc PCP cylinder instead of the 10 seconds it takes to fill a PCP cylinder from a tank. After that, the portable compressor owner will be posting within weeks to a maximum of a couple of years about the compressor breaking and there is no support from the Asian manufacturer.

Reactions: Bigragu