Time for a new compressor

It’s like buying shoes. One good pair for $100 or five cheap ones for $20. Is one guy right and the other wrong? Maybe in todays world the expensive shoes are $500 and the cheap ones $100.LOL Some seem to get just as much out of the cheap stuff as the more expensive but that seems to be the exception. Seems to me the people buying the mid priced stuff are the ones taking the beatings .

I don't know how you are using those o-rings, but as you probably know it's possible to damage them by over-tightening them. Most of my damaged o-rings explode from over-tightening. I can be a little too enthusiastic. Every once and a while I damage my o-rings with little scratches and surface imperfections. But they mostly just blow-up from over-tightening.

return valve.JPG

return valve oring.JPG

That oring is on return valve, when we bleead it wider open the valve makes a bigger gap. This how can get damaged. Also these green orings are much softer after some "use".
I replaced the green with brown=viton and a bit smaller OD, will see how long this will last.

brown return valve oring.JPG

I was even tinkering not put that oring back at all. The cone is sitting metal-on-metal pretty accurately. And I don't think it is really that so critical to block the return 100%

Last edited:
............Seems to me the people buying the mid priced stuff are the ones taking the beatings .
If you trying to tell me why I didn't bought a $ 3-4-5 K compressor, well, first I am not a pro shop. Second, for a $1000 I will buy 5 YH's and for sure will outlast the $3000 spaceship. Third, a price difference between $200 and $2-3 K I will spend somewhere else on the hobby.

I've had the little YH (broke after a couple hours), the two cylinder Tuxing (gave to my buddy Nick @socaloldman in 2018 and its still working), Daystate LC-110 (broke after about 15 hours, and even the Coltri repair shop (NUVAIR) in Oxnard, CA couldn't fix it, plus their labor is over $100/hr), and finally I bought an AireTex Mini Magnum (Bauer Junior 2 clone) from Bruce Dodson in Texas (a real dive compressor). That one has about 20 hours run time, and I've had it for over 2 years (bought April or May, 2020), changed the oil once and that's it. The AireTex compressor is an exact copy of a Bauer Junior 2, and side by side other than one is red, the other blue, you couldn't tell the difference in looks or performance.

If you shoot a LOT, and fill 45 or 60 minute tanks for you and some friends, a low capacity low priced compressor just doesn't cut it. If its just you, and you fill a tank once every couple of weeks, then have at it. I fill at LEAST 3 tanks per week, sometimes more. When I do run my compressor, its usually to fill between 3 and 6 tanks in a row, and that's about 25 minutes to an hour approximately. I plug it in, attach the fill hose and turn it on. Easy day...

Last edited:
........If you shoot a LOT, ..........If its just you, and you fill a tank once every couple of weeks, then have at it. ...
I have four 147cc tanks plus one 9L, and usually keeping at least one (or two) always full - for emergencies.
Ones or maybe twice a month the YH is running for about an hour and half, plus the cool down - or coffee break.
Can I consider myself a volume shooter with about 1.5+K shots a month? ;)

Reactions: Centercut
I have four 147cc tanks plus one 9L, and usually keeping at least one (or two) always full - for emergencies.
Ones or maybe twice a month the YH is running for about an hour and half, plus the cool down - or coffee break.
Can I consider myself a volume shooter with about 1.5+K shots a month? ;)
I wouldn't say a competition volume shooter, but that's a fairly good number of shots per month. When I'm gearing up for a big tournament like RMAC or EBR, I'm shooting about 500 every day that I practice, and that's at least two or three times a week... If you shoot .30 caliber, or tune a lot of guns, or shoot big bore, you need a couple of tanks per week. :cool:

Spending money on these cheap Chinese compressors is a true waste, because they have very poor cooling and their duty cycle is very short.

I understand people buy these Chinese specials because they cannot afford good quality compressors, but they are not saving money.
Really? I can buy any compressor I'd like. Just like I can purchase any rifle I'd like, which I've done.
I've had my Cheap Chinese Compressor for two years, it has a few hours on it and fills my bottle as well as my airguns when I need to. So they work for my needs and many others or OMG they wouldn't be selling so many of them.

Regardless of how much air someone needs, or how much money they spend on an item, to insult them is just silly at best.

Smitty

I wouldn't say a competition volume shooter, but that's a fairly good number of shots per month. When I'm gearing up for a big tournament like RMAC or EBR, I'm shooting about 500 every day that I practice, and that's at least two or three times a week... If you shoot .30 caliber, or tune a lot of guns, or shoot big bore, you need a couple of tanks per week. :cool:
I was preparing for competition, my guns and myself, but that bs covid story messed up all my plans, as a first issue. Then the price hikes, air travel and car rental issues, these roadblocks piled up very aggressive. I cannot travel (or fly) normally as I used to, (I have no digital ID), and to drive 2-3 days from Canada to meet with you guys ... would be fun but no thanks :)
So I just put the competition dreams aside and training for my own pleasure.
Btw, I was competing archery (FITA and Field) for over 15 years and I was sponsored, meaning all my expenses were covered. Almost like every month I travelled to any bigger events in North America or EU, and I remember a good old times.

Reactions: Smitty911
Spending money on these cheap Chinese compressors is a true waste, because they have very poor cooling and their duty cycle is very short. I use an old Bauer that I picked up in a junk yard. I had to clean it up a bit and fit the pump with professional controls, but it can run for many hours on end and never overheat. My guess is that it is at least 40 years old yet it will top up a 12 liter bottle from 200 Bar to 250 Bar in under 5 minutes. It is a 4 cylinder model mounted on a steel chassis with a carry handle at both ends ( 2 man carry). It occupies very little space. It is L 36", W 19". H 23" and weighs about 80 lbs. That space includes all the controls and filters.

I understand people buy these Chinese specials because they cannot afford good quality compressors, but they are not saving money. I found my bare Bauer pump for $200 at the time. It stayed in storage for a long time while I had no use for it. When I needed it, I spent about $800 for control, safety and electronic parts which I then assembled to my own design including a self made output manifold with gauges and connection ports. It is doable. These things are available. Just keep looking for them.
IMG_1730.JPG
so you are saying i waisted 225 bucks when I bought my yong heng 5 years ago?you have got to be kidding.you saying I not saving money?after 5 years of filling my rifles I think I got a lot for that 225 bucks.to top it off,when I first received the yong heng it would not power up.i contacted seller and they offered some money to sweep it under the table.i refused and wanted new unit,15 minutes after that they refunded all my money.turns out the wall plug was bad,replaced it and have never looked back.my range is at my house so there is really no need for a tank of any kind.with the refunded money I bought a spare yong heng and it still sits brand new ready for action.

so you are saying i waisted 225 bucks when I bought my yong heng 5 years ago?you have got to be kidding.you saying I not saving money?after 5 years of filling my rifles I think I got a lot for that 225 bucks.to top it off,when I first received the yong heng it would not power up.i contacted seller and they offered some money to sweep it under the table.i refused and wanted new unit,15 minutes after that they refunded all my money.turns out the wall plug was bad,replaced it and have never looked back.my range is at my house so there is really no need for a tank of any kind.with the refunded money I bought a spare yong heng and it still sits brand new ready for action.
Ohio_hunter,
Apparently you have a pump and motor that the stars were lined up just right. In other words, you got a good one.
Having been in RX (Reliability Excellence) the past 9.5 years repairing everything from a simple check valve to wire guided vehicles, proper and religious preventive maintenance was key. Many would be curious how you treat your YH.
Short cycle times to minimize excess heat can be a factor, some have said avoiding the max psi of the compressor, and god knows what else could contribute to premature failure.
To me, and others have said it, a YH is best suited for direct gun filling and not so much for Great Whites, which also means not topping off of Great Whites or similar volume CF’s. Maybe a thread should be started for YH or YH copies should be started with time to failure, temps, maintenance performed etc. to sort of document or predict trends.
I have an Alkin, not because I’m a super user, but might be in the future. I own an Alkin because I suffer from a gear hog disease. On the upside, if I burn out on airguns I can sell it for a decent amount.
Randy

View attachment 282337

View attachment 282335

That oring is on return valve, when we bleead it wider open the valve makes a bigger gap. This how can get damaged. Also these green orings are much softer after some "use".
I replaced the green with brown=viton and a bit smaller OD, will see how long this will last.

View attachment 282336

I was even tinkering not put that oring back at all. The cone is sitting metal-on-metal pretty accurately. And I don't think it is really that so critical to block the return 100%
bigHUN,
Yeah, you do not want to run that check valve metal to metal. It’s unlikely it will seal good enough to work at all and second, it will brinell itself to death. Typically when a check valve is working, it is cycling open close open close very rapidly. It’s not like a solenoid valve that is open till it’s commanded to close. That’s what would destroy it.
Also, having dealt with O rings in various applications, viton O rings can come in any color under the rainbow. The brown color is common but just one of many colors. In my previous job, they were black. Whenever you buy O rings always note the compound they’re made from in case it matters. Often times viton is used in high fraction of oxygen to pure oxygen applications and also in acid applications. Another factor is the durometer (hardness). That can be as important as the compound. And of course size, there’s SAE, metric and custom sizes for companies that like to force you to buy parts from them for their products.
Randy

Ohio_hunter,
Apparently you have a pump and motor that the stars were lined up just right. In other words, you got a good one.
Having been in RX (Reliability Excellence) the past 9.5 years repairing everything from a simple check valve to wire guided vehicles, proper and religious preventive maintenance was key. Many would be curious how you treat your YH.
Short cycle times to minimize excess heat can be a factor, some have said avoiding the max psi of the compressor, and god knows what else could contribute to premature failure.
To me, and others have said it, a YH is best suited for direct gun filling and not so much for Great Whites, which also means not topping off of Great Whites or similar volume CF’s. Maybe a thread should be started for YH or YH copies should be started with time to failure, temps, maintenance performed etc. to sort of document or predict trends.
I have an Alkin, not because I’m a super user, but might be in the future. I own an Alkin because I suffer from a gear hog disease. On the upside, if I burn out on airguns I can sell it for a decent amount.
Randy
I treat my unit as it was intended to be used,I fill rifles only and it takes under a minute to fill from the 140 bar to the 230 bar.got a good one did I?I have to say I think I got two good ones,my spare works well also I just put it back in case the other unit fails.i also know of many others who are more than happy with their yong heng units.i have true yong hengs not clones.fill rifles only and the cheap little chinese compressor will chug along for years to come.

Three things you can’t disagree on. The high end compressors are nice to have. The money is hard to justify based just on the numbers. No one is going to change anyone else’s opinions on this subject
I agree, it also depends on how much you shoot. I,m the average Joe lunch bucket guy that goes in spurts with my
shooting. I also just fill my gun from my compressor. I could never justify spending a $2000 or more . If it was my
life like many here that could make a difference. I have more than this hobby even though I love this,so to each his
or her own. 😀 Fly

Reactions: Camaro454
Three things you can’t disagree on. The high end compressors are nice to have. The money is hard to justify based just on the numbers. No one is going to change anyone else’s opinions on this subject
I have an Alkin. Since switching to airguns from powder burners I wanted a very reliable air source that would not nickel and dime me. Initially I bought an Omega Air Charger and a couple 480cc carbon fiber tanks for my FX’s. Then, because of my progressive addiction to the hobby I determined with upcoming retirement I would be using more than a couple 480cc bottles during range sessions. And also knowing, each time I unthread a botle from the gun, there’s wear on the threads until you hear the burp of air come out while unscrewing and then again when installing a full tank. Eventually the threads get sloppy and need replacing. Yeah, I know, just buy the replacement fitting. So working 64 hours a week the past 9.5 years I decided to sell the Omega and buy the Alkin AND, two 74 cubic foot carbon fibers. It’s my opinion that the smaller compressors are ideal for 480-500cc carbon fibers and guppies. I know there are owners of YH’s and similar that fill the 74+ CF’s but I just wasn’t willing to risk that. But also, after been in maintenance rolls for 30+ years the clock is ticking towards a breakdown or a scheduled/recommended maintenance. It seems there’s two types of maintenance programs, PM’s (preventive maintenance) and run to failure. On my Civic I “try” to keep up on PM but on brakes it’s run to failure. But that means when I hear the growler thing start announcing upcoming necessary maintenance. I think most people go that route. Anyway, I maintained our only compressor at the dive shop I worked part time at. It was absolutely critical that required PM was done. We had weekly classes that required us to do our best to assure uninterrupted service. Things did pop up that needed repairing as a result of inherent vibration.
So how you justify your air needs is like mentioned, personal and budget related. When I’m no longer ambulatory I’ll be able to sell the Alkin for a decent price and finance what ever will grab my interest.
So buy what you can justify, but operate it within its design consideration and barring premature failures it should serve you well.

Last edited: