Time for a new compressor

Last year after some 30 or so hours I seized the crank arm, replaced the whole piston + cylinder. But noticed a small crack on the aluminum housing (just above that upper rib) probably because of the stress when seized.
It was just a matter of time something to happen.
Here me go now shopping for a new. I think it will be YH again.

broke.JPG

i wouldn't waste another 300 bucks on YH and their copies. save up to buy a compressor that doesn't require a bucket of ice-water and a small-engine repair degree.

If you think you need a small engine repair degree to work on a yong heng I am worried that you may not be qualified to deal with HPA period. You could literally rebuild one of these in 30 minutes lol

I will be upgrading from my yong heng in the future, been running mine for a year now no issues but do want more oomph, but I 100% would not hesitate to buy one again lol

And if you scrounge up some $$$ then why would you need a degree at all?
I expect my MCH-6 to last at least 2000 hours of run time before a major overhaul. (materials for overhaul @ $300, and the 2000 hours of runtime again)
Yes it's 10x the amount of a YH but it runs 10x the time at least and there's no hassle.
Plug it in and run it, oh and dessicant filters last 15+ runhours at full blast (100liters/min). Thats for breathable air, it's 20 hours for airgun use.

Fill for others at a true 4500psi and earn some of your compressor investment back + dessicant filters.

Like buying/running an old plunger car, cheap to get but maintenance it is expensive.

Anyone here run a YH for more than 30 hours?
10$ an hour and that would make a brand new Coltri or Alkin yours in 250 hours of runtime.
And no waterpark mess and no changing tampons and dessicant evert 25min!

Did i mention that a true diving quality compressor will keep it's value and can easily be sold for what it's worth.
Try that with a 30+ run hours YH!

And if you scrounge up some $$$ then why would you need a degree at all?
I expect my MCH-6 to last at least 2000 hours of run time before a major overhaul. (materials for overhaul @ $300, and the 2000 hours of runtime again)
Yes it's 10x the amount of a YH but it runs 10x the time at least and there's no hassle.
Plug it in and run it, oh and dessicant filters last 15+ runhours at full blast (100liters/min). Thats for breathable air, it's 20 hours for airgun use.

Fill for others at a true 4500psi and earn some of your compressor investment back + dessicant filters.

Like buying/running an old plunger car, cheap to get but maintenance it is expensive.

Anyone here run a YH for more than 30 hours?
10$ an hour and that would make a brand new Coltri or Alkin yours in 250 hours of runtime.
And no waterpark mess and no changing tampons and dessicant evert 25min!

Did i mention that a true diving quality compressor will keep it's value and can easily be sold for what it's worth.
Try that with a 30+ run hours YH!

I have run mine for 30 plus hours lol, Maintenance is expensive?
I change my oil ever 6-7 hours, I run Seca twin screw compressor oil , 60 bucks a gallon and thats going to last me a long long time. Also the desiccant is cheap and so arent parts should you need them?
Like I said I am going to upgrade, not because I need to, but I do want to for faster fill times.

For $1500 I will buy 5 YH's !!!
Just found one basic YH in my classifieds for $180 CAD ($140 USD) unopened box, today afternoon I will go for pickup. A lill DIY to transfer my "upgrade parts" let say an hour job with 2 coffee's and 3 beers shall put me back into a game...unless my neighbour joins me that will be 2x the beer.

For $1500 I will buy 5 YH's !!!
Just found one basic YH in my classifieds for $180 CAD ($140 USD) unopened box … A lill DIY to transfer my "upgrade parts" let say an hour job with 2 coffee's and 3 beers shall put me back into a game...unless my neighbour joins me that will be 2x the beer.
@bigHUN That may put your compressor back in the game, but how about your kidneys? Seriously though, I read YH threads from time to time and it really does seem hard to beat the practicality of the price point of these compressors. Especially for those willing to run them as prescribed by users who’ve gotten proven longevity from them and are also willing to put in time to maintain and repair them. Do you think that the heat is what caused the case to crack like that? Do you know what caused it to seize? Just curious.

@bigHUN That may put your compressor back in the game, but how about your kidneys? ...Do you know what caused it to seize? Just curious.
I replaced the oil (last summer) but I had no enough oil maybe 1/3, still I wanted to shoot that afternoon and ran that compressor almost dry for almost an hour ....hot you can fry the eggs on it.
This was a user error what happened to me and I admitted that time - even today...with a smile.
The crank seized in a hot run and until stopped it was still in a motion. That stress cracked the housing neck a little bit. I epoxy the crack not to leak the oil. And I still ran that compressor like that for next half a year. If you did any "maintenance work" on small engines - motorcycle or dirtbike for example - you would know what we backyard mechanics willing to take a risk... ;)
I go today to pickup an other one YH, the person telling me he has couple open and some unopened boxes depend of the $$

Reactions: Ezana4CE
@bigHUN I figured it was heat related stemming from an oil issue, but didn’t want to assume. In a sense running it under those conditions help expose the limitations of the unit’s durability. I imagine that if manufacturers pay attention to forums like this it can help them with design improvements in order to produce more durable products. Then QC would be the primary issue in order to ensure consistent quality. Thanks for the open explanation. I don’t know much about small engines so I learn a lot from members like yourself that post about these types of experiences.

I spent over $2000 on an Omega compressor. It came to me with 6.5 hours on it and it died after 17 hours total. I sold it cheap because I didn't want to waste my time tearing it down looking for the illusive problem. I bought a Yon Heng and consider it expendable. I've had it two years now. I think it may be ready to quit, but I bought the extended warranty from Walmart, so I think I'm covered.

............I figured it was heat related stemming from an oil issue, but didn’t want to assume. ..........
The crank arm got welded on the shaft, yes because a lack of oil lubrication.......no needle bearings there only a metal-to-metal running as much oil can get in a gap.

.......I bought a Yon Heng and consider it expendable. I've had it two years now. I think it may be ready to quit...
Yes, I consider it spendable as well....lasts until last, this can be weeks or months or even years with some more care, not really expensive considering the amount of work it does... got it in Feb.2020 and it gave me well over 25K shots so far. I have 3 larger scba tanks and when I am filling these that is a hour + run at a time. I think it would or could last longer if I would put more care into it.

The crank arm got welded on the shaft, yes because a lack of oil lubrication.......no needle bearings there only a metal-to-metal running as much oil can get in a gap.

Yes, I consider it spendable as well....lasts until last, this can be weeks or months or even years with some more care, not really expensive considering the amount of work it does... got it in Feb.2020 and it gave me well over 25K shots so far. I have 3 larger scba tanks and when I am filling these that is a hour + run at a time. I think it would or could last longer if I would put more care into it.
Heat kills. I never run mine more than 15 minutes at a time. When the temperature approaches 70 deg C, then it's time to shut it down and let it cool off.

Reactions: pdxFrank
OK, I got home from a trip with a new compressor.
In my local classifieds I found a guy have a full skid of these, yes it is a basic model compressor but for a $200 CAD = $155 USD what can go wrong?
Next week I am away camping, enough time to figure what parts to move to which compressor, either to dress up the basic one from old parts or take the new crank housing and replace on mine...

Reactions: qball
I spent over $2000 on an Omega compressor. It came to me with 6.5 hours on it and it died after 17 hours total. I sold it cheap because I didn't want to waste my time tearing it down looking for the illusive problem. I bought a Yon Heng and consider it expendable. I've had it two years now. I think it may be ready to quit, but I bought the extended warranty from Walmart, so I think I'm covered.
Wow

This makes me not want to get an omega and just improve my yong heng fill cart I built.

Reactions: ske1eter
To have YH’s performance a compressor not only need to be 10x the price but als at lease 5x the size. With 1400w of power and air compressed there is a huge amount of heat, if not for water cooling which is much more efficient then you need a huge air cooled radiator. I don’t have room for a full sized compressor anyways.

Mine is well over 30 hours by now, I fill up 2 bottle almost weekly sometime twice a week depending on my range trips so easy 20-30 minutes of run times 52 weeks for over 2 years. Now that I’m running good compressor oil I won’t need to change oil for a long while, but I’ll change oil for giggles because I have a full gallon of that stuff.

Lately I’ve been shooting slugs/long range at my friend’s home range and share my air with our little group so the YH paid for itself this year alone! Which reminds me that I need to top off my tanks tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Heat kills. I never run mine more than 15 minutes at a time. When the temperature approaches 70 deg C, then it's time to shut it down and let it cool off.

I have an air-cooled GX compressor. 2 minutes on, 5 minutes off, circuit controlled loops. It's been going strong for over a year now, and it cost $200 total. Typically it maxes out at around 43-45c.

Wow

This makes me not want to get an omega and just improve my yong heng fill cart I built.

It can go the other way too. My Yong Heng clone (probably same factory built) blew its piston seal after less than half an hour of use. It was noisy and overcomplicated to use with the water bucket/pump situation anyway.

Replaced that with an Omega Trail Charger which has seen a lot of use and has yet to fail me.

Spending money on these cheap Chinese compressors is a true waste, because they have very poor cooling and their duty cycle is very short. I use an old Bauer that I picked up in a junk yard. I had to clean it up a bit and fit the pump with professional controls, but it can run for many hours on end and never overheat. My guess is that it is at least 40 years old yet it will top up a 12 liter bottle from 200 Bar to 250 Bar in under 5 minutes. It is a 4 cylinder model mounted on a steel chassis with a carry handle at both ends ( 2 man carry). It occupies very little space. It is L 36", W 19". H 23" and weighs about 80 lbs. That space includes all the controls and filters.

I understand people buy these Chinese specials because they cannot afford good quality compressors, but they are not saving money. I found my bare Bauer pump for $200 at the time. It stayed in storage for a long time while I had no use for it. When I needed it, I spent about $800 for control, safety and electronic parts which I then assembled to my own design including a self made output manifold with gauges and connection ports. It is doable. These things are available. Just keep looking for them.
IMG_1730.JPG