• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Time for a Benjie Bull Pup

The Marauder gave high power pcp to the working man. The Gen II is even better. You have done the big bore thing, and the tacticool thin with the Armada.

How about a Bull Pup for the working man. Not everyone can afford $1400+ for an FX or one of the other imports. Besides, I like spending my money on US made products when I can. Please make it a repeater with at least 300cc of air capacity and a weaver scope rail. Keep it adjustable like the Marauder and help the price point by offering a regulator as an aftermarket add on. And 25 cal would be a must have.

What say yea, Chip

The bullpup for the .357 was done out of necessity; it allows us to maintain the barrel length necessary to build up velocity while reducing the overall length, resulting in a better balanced, better handling gun (it's 12" shorter than the Rogue). 

What are you wishing to solve in the Marauder that dictates a bullpup form? Or do you just prefer that look?

ch

Chip there is a large area between the 35fpe Marauder and the Bulldog. A 30cal 70-80fpe bullpup that was smaller and lighter would be a new market segment for you. The Marauder's length and weight are seen as negatives by some, on an otherwise "bread and butter" gun. If you could build one that was accurate and sell it at a cost in between the $530 Marauder and the $999 bulldog you would have a following.

I would agree. Right now we are in a Bullpup frenzy and I think Crossman is missing out. If the bull pup would be a few lbs lighter than the Marauder, I think you could really capitalize on that market. There are several conversion kits out there but they are about the cost of the Marauder ( not really practical). I believe many people would pay $100-200 extra to have a marauder bull pup weighing 5-6lbs. You certainly could test the market by offering a conversion kit to a bull pup. To answer the question what are we wanting to solve: 1. to have a lighter rifle for carrying into the field and 2. bullpups are just plain cool. The cool part for some may be just as important. I would think that a Maurauder bullpup would be price competitive to the Mrod P12 and I believe with Crossman's reputation you would dominate that market sector. Although you might think your pistol fills that market, I think many do not want to loose the 35fpe that the Marauder has. Just my take on things

"If you could build one that was accurate"

I think that is a key idea - I for one have not been very impressed with my Marauder and I know I'm not the only one. I have spent a lot of time fussing with it since I received it, attempting to get it to shoot well - I probably should have returned it put I thought I could work out the bugs. But the bugs may be winning, as I'm contemplating getting another 22 cal barrel or converting it to shoot 177 because I here they have fewer problems. I have springer's in 177 and 22 that are out performing my Marauder. I'd like to keep my dollars in the US as well but I'd have to wait and read the blogs before I would conceder a $600-$1000 Crosman Bullpup.

I think Crosman is smart to stick with what they have and get that working before they spend money tooling up to manufacture a BullPup.

But that's just my two cents. But then, I may be a bit biased - waiting for a Bobcat MkII 25 to arrive.

Hope you're hitting your mark - Jay

I like the look but the function even more. I really like the FX Wildcat in 25. But with a recent change in employment $1300 is a little out of reach. I like the greater air capacity and the long barrel without having an overly long rifle. The tactical styling of your 357 bull pup is a bit much for me. Maybe you could try a 25 and 30 based on the 357 bull pup with a shroud like that on the Marauder. A Benjie version of the FX Wildcat. But, what ever you do, its got to have a good trigger and must be accurate. If it was in my budget the Wildcat would be in my house.

Hey Killzone

Sorry about all the troubles with your 22 Benjies. I really wanted to buy a 22 because of cheaper ammo and more shots per fill. But, after watching Teds review of the 25 Marauder I decided to heed his advice and am very happy I did. My Gen 1 25 is accurate and consistent, now that I have done the Bstaley oring mod. Just like Ted said, JSB Kings are the cats ass in my gun. I am thinking about adding to my air capacity to extend my sweet spot. I know you will find happiness with the Bobcat. I hope Crosman will come out with something close to the Wildcat. If they could do that and keep it around $800 (at AA or PyAir) they would have a winner for sure. They could let owners add a regulator etc. if they so choose. Just keep the intro price down. And they should just sub out all the barrels to Green Mountain. Another thing, if you are listening Chip, would be to have an factory option of an LW or FX barrel. For me, the Green Mountain is good kit. Have 3 of them on my Ruger 10/22s. Far to many complaints with in house barrels.

I like the bulldog looks. It is unconventional, and does get grief for the starship trooper look. But I would like to be a starship trooper, and if the bulldog blew up a feral hog the way a starship trooper rifle blew up those bugs, that would be pretty cool. It would be difficult to get my bacon afterward =).

So that being said, it would make sense to go back traditional. Weight is concern, so some manufacturers seem to be making synthetic stocks. So if the choice was between a heavy wood traditional bullpup or a synthetic stock tactical bullpup but more of a traditional look like a Wildcat, I would go the way of the lighter tactical look. The Bottle bullpup idea is appealing for the extra shots but it would likely get complaints because of the looks. 

The Bobcat has a bunch of detractors because of its non-traditional looks and its weight and size, even after Ted's retooling of the stock. So I would suggest focusing on minimalism, balance and hold.

I know I have been critical of Crosman in this post and in one of them that got moderated for not keeping on topic I said I was going to contact Crosman and I would get back and post the result here. This may be a bit off topic and risking getting censored again, but in keeping to my word I'd like to say that after emailing Crosman I promptly received a reply from Cameron Simmons. He was very responsive to my concerns and I have received a new replacement barrel for my M-Rod even though the rifle was out of warranty. I am impressed with the service and the timely response.

Reactions: Ted
Remember that the bolt is interchangable, so keeping the same barrel and action would still be a viable option to convert the Marauder to a bullpup. Remember R and D costs money and Crosman is in the business to make money.This could raise the cost of the rifle putting an entry level bullpup priced too high .I like the thought of having the versability of switching back and forth from bull pup to rifle.
Like Fx's new bull pup, being able to switch calibers would also be a great feature really adding more versatility to the gun. May be I am getting too far out there but just thinking out loud.

As far as the stock design is concerned, keep it basic: light and synthetic. Someone already mentioned that he liked the wildcat design which is basically: light and synthetic. The Vucan although in wood still has a basic design, don't get carried away. In my humble opinion, the Bulldog and Armada are cool looking guns but really for guys looking to add to their collection of guns, not the first purchase. Keeping in line of the Marauder market , you want their first purchase to be either a Marauder rifle or a "Crosman Bullpup". As a business person myself, I try to remember who my audience is (potential customer) and the KISS rule. Don't make it difficult for us. Having an accurate shooting bullpup (shooting as well as the Marauder), weighing below 6 lbs., priced between $600-800, and I think you will have a winner! You will not capture the entire market but it caters to your existing market. If someone wanted to test the "Bullpup waters", it would be an easier step than jumping up in price to the $1300-3000 range.

I am quite happy with my existing .22 Marauder. I understand this gun may not be the next benchreat champion (without being modified), but for target practice and hunting, it service my purposes. My son prefers the Marauder over my .22 Cricket Carbine and shoots quite accurate between 50-75 yards.

"Chip"Bullpup? Got it. How about some sketches on what you think an attractive bullpup looks like since no one likes the Bulldog? You have a lot of innovative parts and features in the Bulldog. How about providing a schematic, and parts availability. I bet it won't take too long for somebody to use that valve, side cocking lever, and maybe someone would make a good looking stock.

"Chip"Bullpup? Got it. How about some sketches on what you think an attractive bullpup looks like since no one likes the Bulldog?
Fair request and since my sketch would look awful I'll give some feedback on other models....

I think the EdGun would look great but the tragic flaw of the C shaped stock butt. No other lines on that gun are curved like that and they throw that one major curve shape in. It's like someone failed design school. 

The Vulcan and FX Wildcat look the best to me. I think a designer needs to play it safe and make the firing chamber location all bull pup while the rest of the gun takes it's cues from a traditional rifle. FX putting the action above the trigger on the wildcat is HUGE and makes that gun appeal to so many. I'm guessing everyone is working to copy that now and there's no reason they shouldn't, it's more functional and looks great.

Reactions: harrybarker
Looks like those who took the time to comment want a functional bull pup on the lines of the FX Wildcat or something close. Part of what makes that FX attractive is the large air capacity, accuracy, trigger, and reputation for quality. Please use the Green Mountain bbls that have performed so well in the 25 Marauder. Please use a bolt like the FX, and move it up above the trigger. In 22 the air capacity should be no less than 300 cc, 400 cc for the 25 and 30. You could make it 400 for all if it would save money, but the 22 guys probably want a shorter, lighter gun. It would be nice to have a weaver scope mount standard. Another thought would be to make the gun strong enough for a 3500 fill if it is later fitted with a regulator. You could do the price point math to decide to ship the gun regulated or let the customer do so at a later point. Another way to keep cost down would be to use standard Marauder magazines in 22 and 25. I'm just not a 177 person. A larger, 8 - 10 shot in 30 would be nice if it didn't run up the price. You might make some way to easily see one is a 30, to feed egos, without making it tacky like a big sticker. Maybe releasing the 30 regulated with a slightly higher price point?