Tim Wells Coyote hunting with an air rifle

I don't see how putting video out of limper coyotes promotes airgunning in a positive light. Tim Wells is all about selling video content.
I saw 5 dead yotes, you've never taken a deer that went on a 100yd trek after taking a round through its vitals? I have!

Now, what I say next is not said in anger or to be argumentative. I say it as a matter of fact.

A decade+ ago, yotes had killed my 6 year old neices dog at my house while my ex wife and I had family over. For a year after, I would literally gut shot them with my 30-30 and let them suffer. Call me evil, call me unethical, but one thing I do know is those yotes wound up dead, MUCH slower than I would like nowadays, but rage is rage and that's how I dealt with it. 🤣

With that said, I'm an incredibly ethical sportsman. Would I do it at 36 years young now? No, but I was still a "kid" at 20 and it's open season year round for coyote. Not to mention, who's going to care at the end of the day? Actually, that's not a fair question.

I live in the furthest NE corner of ND about 28 miles from Canada. We have livestock, equine, fowl, pets and a coyote gives no F's and will go after what it can, when it can. It's not uncommon to see trucks pulled off the road with the operator out of said rig glossing a daytime yote in a field. We don't care who's field it is, nor does the owner. Shoot it and leave it where it lay. The buzzards will handle it.

Since I've started going in on coyote full time on my farm, we've seen quite a large number of momma deer running around with twins, whereas before we didn't hardly see any deer. It's going to be a fantastic deer season in a few years because of it!

I've seen the trend on YouTube with PCP's becoming more and more popular amongst the masses and I personally believe Mr. Wells could be doing FAR worse. I promise, Mr. Wells will be the last person to upload a video urging folk to buy an AEA carbine .30 as a self defense tool.

Personally, I fully intend to take a shot at any yote within 100yds with my .25 and some slugs on sight. I can honestly say the track will be non-existent. Again, for me, it's a who cares kind of deal for me. I hate'm. I'm also 95% sure a 40grain slug will kill it within 100yds with the correct placement, which I will strive for. Now, winter yote are different. That's where you make your money!

Sorry for the ramble, first cup of Joe for the morning has me up and ready! 🤣🤣🤣

@Swing360
I'm familiar with that region of North Dakota (I recognized it in your 107 yard thread). There are some nice bucks up there and the coyotes have some of the best fur in the country. If I was shooting $100 coyotes, I'd be working hard to recover all of them. I follow up on all of the $10 coyotes I shoot here.

Tim Wells is selling content. His inclusion of the limper in the video suggests that was the best content he had to offer. Content that would get called out by other sportsmen groups. I'm surprised and disappointed that it is so quickly overlooked among airgunners. I have no issues with the ones that dropped in sight. The dog and I would be rooting those out of the brush around here but TX and ND have some wide open country. Tough to lose sight of anything that falls in a reasonable distance there.

IMO- There is no good reason to use an underpowered gun in Texas (or ND). It is wide open country with no neighbors in sight (like ND). It doesn't get any flatter than the RR valley in this country and it's still one of the lowest population densities. Why wouldn't you choose more gun or a PB when shooting coyotes there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted 45061
@Swing360
I'm familiar with that region of North Dakota (I recognized it in your 107 yard thread). There are some nice bucks up there and the coyotes have some of the best fur in the country. If I was shooting $100 coyotes, I'd be working hard to recover all of them. I follow up on all of the $10 coyotes I shoot here.

Tim Wells is selling content. His inclusion of the limper in the video suggests that was the best content he had to offer. Content that would get called out by other sportsmen groups. I'm surprised and disappointed that it is so quickly overlooked among airgunners. I have no issues with the ones that dropped in sight. The dog and I would be rooting those out of the brush around here but TX and ND have some wide open country. Tough to lose sight of anything that falls in a reasonable distance there.

IMO- There is no good reason to use an underpowered gun in Texas (or ND). It is wide open country with no neighbors in sight (like ND). It doesn't get any flatter than the RR valley in this country and it's still one of the lowest population densities. Why wouldn't you choose more gun or a PB when shooting coyotes there?
I feel what you are saying absolutely. To be fair, at 20, I was in Port Ludlow, WA. Those were $10 yotes. 😆 and teeny tiny little things compared to out here.

I use a .22-250 for yotes in the winter here. If we are expecting multiples after research, I have an AR platform that I will use with a hush hush and a Lucky dog.
We will build in Igloo in a field with ports or we will use a service road and cut a shooting blind into the side as those are usually about 8'-12' above the field adjacent. Either tactic works well as snow is it's own insulator and holds any unwanted scent we may have brought out. I intend to take 100 at least this year. I need a new truck!