• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tim Hill Benjamin Marauder larger .160 I.D. Transfer Port

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Tim Hill 0.160" ID transfer port for use in a Benjamin Marauder? I am looking to purchase one for use in my .22 Marauder, but looking for first hand experience to the pros and cons, if any? In particular, any noticeable increase in shot velocity or shot count after installing the transfer port? 

I know there are many other mods and aftermarket parts available for this rifle and I have already installed a hammer forged barrel - the transfer port is the next step, then maybe a regulator and a WAR depinger. Right now the rifle is tuned to 20 ft-lbs for F&T competition and I want to continue with that use in mind keeping shot count and velocity consistency as priorities, now that the hammer forged barrel has taken care of the accuracy issues.

Installing the .160 I.D. transfer port in an otherwise stock rifle, can allow for higher velocities/fpe, but with a higher extreme spread in velocities, per fill. This type of tune is mostly used for those that are seeking more power - over shot count. 

Installing the regulated kit for the marauder rifle along with the choice of regulator - is recommended for a tune that requires consistency and shot count, over power.

Most find that a depinger is not necessary, when the rifle has a regulator installed.

Hi Tim. You helped me with a high power regulated .22 build maybe a year ago. I have your Hill valve gauge block and .160 TP with a Huma .25 cal reg. I'm getting 39 fpe for 17 shots. I also have a Jim Gaska HF barrel on the way. I'm very happy with the performance of the power plant just need a barrel that shoots the same place twice. SPC-Racer the transfer port is generaly used in conjunction with a high flow valve. Also the barrel port should be enlarged to match. Thanks for your help Tim!

I have almost the exact setup you want to achieve.
Imo if you have the hf barrel...you will need to open the barrel tp to .160 if you plan to get hill .160tp.
This is how youll obtain the max of your tune. Id make sure the valve throat and stem let .160 of air flow to the pellet. Same flow everywhere os how to get best consistency. Just my 2 cents.
Alex

"30cal"Hi Tim. You helped me with a high power regulated .22 build maybe a year ago. I have your Hill valve gauge block and .160 TP with a Huma .25 cal reg. I'm getting 39 fpe for 17 shots. I also have a Jim Gaska HF barrel on the way. I'm very happy with the performance of the power plant just need a barrel that shoots the same place twice. SPC-Racer the transfer port is generaly used in conjunction with a high flow valve. Also the barrel port should be enlarged to match. Thanks for your help Tim!
Sounds like a great tune. What weight pellets?

BTW- I'm working on a tune with the same type of regulator, gauge port, transfer port, and valve assembly, but with a 3.75" shorter reservoir tube. The shorter reservoir moves the balance back toward the shooter, which makes the rifle a bit easier to handle and quicker to shoot. I can really feel the difference when switching to my other full length version marauder rifle.

The rifle shoots the H&N 21.14 and the JSB 15.89 grain pellets well ( Crosman barrel ). 

I hope to post more about the results soon.

You're welcome for the help - and thanks to you too :)

Tim its shooting 21 gr baracuda at 920 fps and JSB 18 at 960. Those two are the best with the stock barrel. It will push the 15.89s at 1000 fps. It will likely be somewhat slower with the new barrel as the HF barrels are tighter than Crosman barrels. Also Jim says his barrels are best up to about 890 fps. With it being tighter I may not have to do anything to get it into that range. We shall see. I really like the power it has with this tune. By the way mine is a first gen .22 so it has a slightly smaller air tube than the new ones. I see you have a valve package deal for regulated guns now. Very cool! I saw your shorter air tube. Nice to have that as an option though I would not want to loose any shots with my tune. Might be great for a .177 FT set up and of course hunting.

SPC-Racing I would think a regulator would be a good thing for FT. for flatter shot string.

Yes, I agree about the regulator. My FX Royale is regulated and it has a nice long shot string, especially when tuned for just under 20 ft-lbs on the #2 power setting (160 to 170 shots).

Right now I have the .22 Marauder tuned for 52 to 55 shots, not exceeding 3% velocity change, from 2500 psig down to 1600 psig. All of this with the velocity peak right at 20 ft-lbs. But even though the forged barrel made my Marauder very accurate and the shot count/velocities are consistent, it has this nasty habit of changing the POI on the down side of the velocity string wrt pressure. The POI starts to change at 2000 psig and then just stays put to the end of the shot string. At 2000 psig the rifle is still shooting the tuned 20 ft-lbs, or very close to it. After I re-pressure the rifle to 2500 psig, the POI moves back to the original location and stays put until the pressure again drops to 2000 psig and then it moves to the same predictable location; and repeat. I have shot well over 3,000 rounds though this rifle after the barrel swap and I have documented this POI change to the point where I can predict it happening almost on queue. Even though this new barrel likes JSB 18.1 g pellets the best, the POI issue occurs regardless of pellet type. I am hoping a regulator will fix this issue as it concerns me more than the shot count.

Ya that would frustrate me too! I like to shoot mine at 100 yds and more but the stock barrel is just not up to it. I get at best 3 1/2" groups at 100 on a good day. But the groups are generally round within the 17 shots on the reg and don't start dropping until after that so the regulator is doing its job well. Can't wait to see what the new barrel will let it do. 

The best thing I ever did to the mrod .22 beside letting it collect dust was to swop out to a HF barrel now I shoot it all the time. 3/8 groups @ 50yards is the norm. Slight wind will do less than moa @ 100yards. Have yet to do 100yard groups with no wind in play, will most likely be in the 1/2-3/4 realm 

this is with 18g jsb @ 850fps bench rest off bags.

also likes the 15g but they are much more wind sensitive but I like the 910fps of them. Never tried h/n pellets, as this barrel loves jsb and might be to tight for harder lead pellets