Tier One

I received my Picatinny scope rings (with the built in level) and when I mounted them they matched perfectly. When I mount one backwards they don't line up perfectly. There is about a .015-.020 miss alinement. Is this normal for rings? Is this telling me that the scope will not be centered on the barrel? Or is it just me being anal. Oh, and, the level is way too small for a sight while aiming.

Thanks

John

It’s nothing to worry about, just always keep the fasteners on one side or the other. Perfectly centering the scope over the receiver/barrel is nice only as an aesthetic. What actually matters is that the reticle is aligned to the bore...and there are all kinds of reasons why centering the scope over the receiver will not achieve that goal.

Use a mirror to orient the reticle to the bore as follows...

Set up a mirror at a distance of, say, 5 yards and set your AO to 10 yards. Look through the scope at your reflection in the mirror. Twist the scope in the mounts until the vertical bar of the reticle simultaneously bisects both the muzzle and objective bell. Then lock it down. If it's hard to see your muzzle, add a little dot of White Out or take a dot from a hole punch and tape it to the muzzle with clear tape.

See here for a more through description of scope mounting and preventing cant error:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/best-way-to-level-a-scope-2/#post-1003404