• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ticked another one off the bucket list

.177 Ranchero. I missed buying this one twice. Third time is the charm. I saw several 22's come up, and could have bought a new synthetic one, but wanted Walnut. This appears to be a very old model, and it has a fair amount of dings on it. But it has been very well tuned. This is now the quietest gun I own with a moderator. I have another .177 pcp pistol with less power, and this is easily 5x quieter. The gun was just serviced by FX. It's a little larger than I immagined, but not by much. The trigger is better than my fx Crown. The best of any gun I own. And what I'm happiest about is that it has a very light hammer. The gun is not disturbed at all during the shot cycle by hammer mass or valve impact. It came with an air tube extension, and extended muzzle brake which I removed for now. I'll have the receiver refinished at some point. And I will refinish, and re-work the stock to better fit me. I'm also likely going to give making a carbine stock for it a go. Overall, a really supurb pistol, and exceedingly accurate.

PSX_20230109_224951.jpg

Last edited:
So, day two of owning this gun, I was going to go out and do some target shooting late at night. Lo and behold, there was no air in the gun. Refilled, and listened. Nothing. Put my fingers over the fill port, nothing. Put my finger over the barrel. Ahah! The valve is leaking. Pulled the air tube, removed the tube adapter and pulled the valve. Pulled the valve seat, and used a tiny smidge of valve lapping compound and rubbed the valve and seat against eachother in a circular motion. Cleaned, reassembled, and no longer leaks. Pretty sure I had to do this once on my crown as well. Fx valves are mostly steel with a small delrin skirt. I think over time the delrin deforms away from the seat and begins slowly leaking. Now metal to metal is sealing.