• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Three time Rebuild Yong Heng

I find it amazing that people still are unwilling to use HP Compressor oils and think that regular compressor oils can be used without consequence.

There is no material difference between the YH and commercial SCBA compressors in the staging of compression to reach our needed pressures.

These pressures demand actual HP compressor oils, you are damaging your compressor by using anything but real, SCBA compressor oil.

Of course, the choice is yours but when you loose compression, blow the second stage, break the piston or fry rings, we really can't help you until you suck it up and use oils that are made for HP compressors.

2 years, 113 hours, top off two, 65sq ft tanks every week from 3k to 4k, still running strong.
When do you change out you’re secolube 500/comparable oil ?
(After initial startup)
I’m just trying to see if it can stay in there for a while.

Thanks. I found some Air Venturi compressor oil for $7 / pint. If that is Mobil Rarus 827 the price is a lot better than on ebay.
I use the Nuvair myself and I don't do a "break in", there is no sump so all particulates drop to the bottom. I just change it at 100 hours and filter it through a .5u filter and reuse it.

There is no combustion and by weight, it's not absorbing water so once the particulates filter out, it should be recyclable.

This is my third Piston and ring rebuild on my yong heng. I'd say I'm averaging about ten refills on 45 min scba tank refills from 3500 psi up to 4300 psi. I use 5 gal bucket with ice always and never run longer than 8 mins. Use regular hydraulic oil. Seeing how long your yong hengs last. Thanks
I have 3 YH. One has been going strong for 6 years with 2 or 3 piston swaps. 69 hours before kt started losing pressure.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Great info. I just installed new 2nd stage rings because mine was maxing out at 4000psi. With the new rings it's still maxing out at 4000psi. I'm not hearing any leaks when I stop it a 4000psi and it is holding pressure. Any suggestions of what to check? Thanks!
How did you get those rings on the piston?

My YH cuts off about 4000+ psi still far away from 300 bars.
I give my 14L tank a good hour to cool down, when I am back and ready to start again the pressure shows about 3800, starting from here I give it a run until cuts off again, and again cool the tank....
So finally after let say 3 finish runs I am getting very close to 300 bars.
You need to cool down the air tank as well, not only the motor or water ....

Reactions: qball
I figured out my problem. I disassembled the head and discovered the Royal Purple was dieseling in the head. The reed valves were covered with carbon and soot which prevented them from sealing fully. I cleaned off all the carbon and now it goes up to 300 bar.

I ordered some better compressor oil and won’t be using Royal Purple anymore.

Did you replace the ring below the top one?
The the top of the second stage piston unscrews where the second piston ring is. Once unscrewed you can install the lowest ring. The middle ring gets installed when you screw on the top of the head. I install the top ring last. I used an xacto knife to cut off the old rings.

DC16FAC3-D372-40A1-B31E-B270E8F18EF9.jpeg

Last edited:
The the top of the second stage piston unscrews where the second piston ring is. Once unscrewed you can install the lowest ring. The middle ring gets installed when you screw on the top of the head. I install the top ring last. I used an xacto knife to cut off the old rings.

View attachment 302681
Thanks, I have the rings and a couple of pistons, I'm going to give it a try!

I had a problem unscrewing that second stage piston two times already replaced the entire rod, but nomore rods for next time. I still have a small bag of those rings. Asking for my next time to know....
The top part of my second stage piston was loose and unscrewed by hand. Not sure what the best tool would be to loosen it. I put some red loctite on it when installing it and used some leather and vice grips to tighten it.