Three Starlings and Two Moor Hens.

Grin_Reaver

If you eat the moorhens, do tell how they taste and your recipe. Plenty near my place but never shot them due to a reputation for bad taste.

You're like me! I recently started hunting them(rumors were that they taste awful but coots and moor hens both tatse good)
I've already eaten many Moor Hens and I barbecue them usually.Their breast and legs are very tasty. (a smell will come when skinning one).I also fry them.
You can also steam them using boiling water.
My recepie is simple.
Salt
Red Pepper
Garam Masala
Hot Sauce
Lemon salt.

I pierce the breast and the legs using a knife and marinate them (about and hour) with all above mentioned ingredients(half tbsp of all) then add a bit of oil in the pan,a clove of Garlic. Then fry them for about 5 minutes or so.During frying I add a little amount of Hot Sauce which in the end gives a great smell.
I also make Curry.

miguel1

The temperature got to -10 degrees F here and the starlings started to land in this apple tree without regard to their safety. I got 13 in about a hour and a half. The shots were from 20 to 30 yards with RWS .22 model 54. What gun do you shoot?

I shoot with Walther Dominator 1250 .22cal using JSBs 16grains.Its not easy to hunt them at my place the temps around 15℃ and they sit in bushes.They eat the seeds from the bushes.It's hard to retrieve them too.In Pakistan we have a lot of different kinds of starlings(Rosy Starling etc) You've done a great hunt there mate!

I have hunted them in bushes here in the summer when they are eating berries. Very difficult. There is always a twig in the way. I can get the guard bird in the top of the tree sometimes but the rest fly away. Finding them landing in the dead trees was very helpful. In the dead trees there are few branches and no leaves. The birds love the view to locate other birds presumably. I just need a good place to hide nearby and the shot is usually easy.

miguel1I have hunted them in bushes here in the summer when they are eating berries. Very difficult. There is always a twig in the way. I can get the guard bird in the top of the tree sometimes but the rest fly away. Finding them landing in the dead trees was very helpful. In the dead trees there are few branches and no leaves. The birds love the view to locate other birds presumably. I just need a good place to hide nearby and the shot is usually easy.

In my area they are never scared of us and not usually hiding.It's easy to kill em.