• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Three Airguns being torture tested

Nice video!
While I haven’t tried to trash my rifles, I have put some of them through some tuff love. A couple that come to mind: while trying to walk “the balance beam” tree over the overflowing creek I lost it. The Wildcat tried to save me from doing the splits on the log on my way into the drink. Smashed the scope and both of us landed in waist high ice water. I kicked around till I found the rifle about 20’ from where I landed. Put a new scope on and still shooting like nothing ever happened. The other was to my Blue Streak when I was a kid. Fell out of the barn loft. I landed in a wagon full of corn. The Dan hit the wagon’s side and broke the stock at the palm swell. I have had a few springers go off half cocked too.

I was expecting to see some basic or cheep guns. But to see some awesome top of the line ones getting a real beating was priceless. Well maybe not priceless! 

Great idea. Locating weaknesses in our air rifles will hopefully lead to the manufacturers building more durable guns. It's a winner. Let's give Murphy fewer opportunities to spoil our fun.

One test suggestion. How about over-filling the air cylinders/tanks to see how much pressure it takes to damage the seals?

Thanks but I'm not interested in that type of testing. Far to dangerous for someone with responsibility to a family.

Great idea. Locating weaknesses in our air rifles will hopefully lead to the manufacturers building more durable guns. It's a winner. Let's give Murphy fewer opportunities to spoil our fun.

One test suggestion. How about over-filling the air cylinders/tanks to see how much pressure it takes to damage the seals?

Thanks but I'm not interested in that type of testing. Far to dangerous for someone with responsibility to a family.

Understand.

As a relative newbie that is always my greatest concern when filling a rifle, esp since the gauges on my rifles and air tank rarely match. For that reason I alway under-fill my rifle cylinder. Thanks for what you're doing. 

@crosman999 The hot tub test was very extreme. Will you show the internal rust in your final video? I’ve been curious about the effects of water from hunting in the rain. I’ve done it in light rain, mist, and fog a couple of times. This is something I’ve discussed with one or two other members and really didn’t come up with much conclusive evidence. I don’t know what test would be the equivalent of that sort of treatment over time but it interests me. Also if there is a way to stress the o-rings and test the sealing points on various areas of these guns would be awesome. Maybe using heat and cold by placing them in front of a heater and in a freezer for some time to stress the rubber. 

As others have mentioned I’d like to see a drop test (toppled from a tripod, off a table on a bipod, from your shoulder simulating a broken sling, etc). Today I almost bailed crossing over a relatively deep creek bed on a downed tree so the drop test and water tests are very relevant to me. Other than that maybe dropping them in mud/dung or dragging them by the sling with the tip of the barrel contacting the ground for a ways. Those are other things that would be good to see since they can happen on occasion while hunting/pesting. I have no idea how or if an Airgun would function after being dropped in mud until thoroughly cleaning it. Thanks for this video. Interested in seeing what other tests you come up with. 

I do a lot of hunting in below freezing temps here in Michigan. Every time I come in from a hunt I lean the rifle up in a corner next to a register to warm up and dry out. Its always wet from condensation. I wipe it down and oil it (sometimes). Never getting the guts of the rifle cleaned up. No problems so far. But I have seen some of my rifles getting rust on the inside of the air tube. More from wet air from a fill. It’s not a bad idea to tear the rifle down to do a full cleaning every once and awhile. Much easier to do on a PB rifle for sure.

Some very relevant tests in that video. Obviously drop tests are very relevant. Heat tests are very relevant also. Surface temps in summer heat especially on the black surfaces of air guns can get extreme in the sunlight Much more so than that hot tub

Dirt and mud tests.

The over filling tests previously suggested can be relevant due to a malfunctioning gauge which is a failure I have seen often. I have gone over by about 400 psi on a 3000 psi gun and it caused the gun to not fire. I think the hammer wasn't strong enough to overcome the extra pressure. If you keep it reasonable there should be no danger involved. Maybe 500 psi over which in my opinion all air rifles should have that much safety built in. A test chamber is always an option but that is $$. Always be safe.

Hammer springs are not always equipped internally to deal with adjustment. My hatsan Sortie for example just destroyed the spring when I adjusted it because it would not spin in between the 2 surfaces it just got twisted up and stopped working. Sortie went from 600 fps to 200. I measured the spring and found some better replacements.The spring was digging into the compression surface and chewed up the metal. A good spring surface should be equipped with bearings of some sort to allow the spring to do what it needs to do when being compressed or decompressed.

Here’s the next video. It was originally posted in this thread 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/will-they-survive-video-just-dropped-2/?referrer=1

Seems easier to keep up with it posted here so that it comes up in an AGN search.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nVb29M95HX4

@Crosman999 when you broke out the rope I had a feeling what was coming, but I thought, 😱😱.
I loved it. The few times you showed her, Marley was lookin’ like, “Ok. When do we get to the part where I get to go fetch animals? Wait we’re doing what here?” I’m actually impressed by the Brocock Atomic’s build. Thanks for this installation.