• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Thoughts on some PCP Air Rifles?

Slingworks

Feb 20, 2023
OH
Ok, mainly just some thoughts for now. I'm looking for some experience/input on a PCP rifle.

Firstly, I haven't owned a PCP rifle and have only shot springers.

I recently purchased a HW90 for hunting use and to be honest I think it's a pretty potent gun from what I've seen so far.
I do find it a bit heavy and not really suitable for use with the irons.

I let a neighbour shoot it a little and he's falling in love with it and has asked a couple times to sell it to him.
Not really sure if I want to part with it (Actually I don't want to at all-lol) although I am wondering if I might make better use of a PCP at times?

Looked at the HW100 Sporter carbine in 22 and an Ataman BP17 in 22 cal online. I like the idea of the Ataman. Both appear to me to be similar in fpe and fps to the hw90?

Anyone have any experience with either? Looking to keep a PCP rifle 8lbs or less and under the length of an 8' 2x4.....basically compact overall that is.

Reactions: Hoffman9517
At a similar price I would also look at an FX Wildcat Compact BT. They are very small and light weight for a full power air rifle (6-7lbs and 27.5-32"). If you can get by with less energy (40-60ft-lbs) then even the tube version is a great option for less money. But more important than the rifle how do you plan to charge your potential future pcp?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Yes,for rifles the Huntsman and HW100 are great PCP rifles.Since weight seems to be a concern make sure you take that into account.
I have light PCP rifles, that are great for plinking ,pesting target shooting etc.All are under $600 and easy to handpump.
Remember all the "other stuff " you need to get for a PCP.
The Ataman is a no go.
Make it simple, sell your HW90 and get a HW95...;)

I have two HW100S, a Huntsman Regal, and two AIR Arms an S400 MPR-FT and an HFT500.
All great rifles but quite different.
HW100...one of if not the finest crafted pcp rifles made. BUT, I don't think you'll ever put a scope on one and get it under 8#
Huntsman is also a fantastic rifle that might make the 8# limit
You could get a Brocock Bantam Sniper for a compact light high power rig.

Reactions: L.Leon
Yes,for rifles the Huntsman and HW100 are great PCP rifles.Since weight seems to be a concern make sure you take that into account.
I have light PCP rifles, that are great for plinking ,pesting target shooting etc.All are under $600 and easy to handpump.
Remember all the "other stuff " you need to get for a PCP.
The Ataman is a no go.
Make it simple, sell your HW90 and get a HW95...;)
What sets the Ataman apart? I read that it needs to be pumped to a high pressure, is that the issue?

For top heirloom quality PCP rifles that won't break the bank, consider (all between $1100 and $1500):

Daystate Revere (regulated or non regulated)
Air Arms S510
FX Dreamline Classic
FX Crown VP
FX Wildcat
Brocock
BSA R-10 ($899)

If you want this level of quality in a piston gun, then the HW95/R9, HW97K or Air Arms TX 200 are tops.

Have fun shopping.

might want to you tube using a hand pump , it is NOT like a bicycle pump and gets old fast AND if your hunting you need to carry it with you. Make it simple, sell your HW90 and get a HW95
. with the 95 you pick up the gun and a tin of pellets and out the door .
The 95 sounds like a pretty balanced springer. So far I have a 35e and the 90. Seems like the 95 is kind of in the middle, power wise?
I love the power of the 90, but it's a "big" rifle. Feels like I'm lugging a Safari rig around :)

The 95 sounds like a pretty balanced springer. So far I have a 35e and the 90. Seems like the 95 is kind of in the middle, power wise?
I love the power of the 90, but it's a "big" rifle. Feels like I'm lugging a Safari rig around :)
35E is a great gun for Squirrels and rabbit type hunting

If you want a really light rifle that is also really short and are OK with a bit of tinkering, get a P35 or Stoeger bullshark. The P35 is just over 5 lbs and the bullshark about 6. Both are less than 30 inches long. My P35-177 came tuned to about 19 fpe, my P35-22 came shooting at about 32 fpe. My P35-25 came tuned to upper 30s but I turned it down when I found it like FTTs which are only 20 grain. They are not high fpe guns but will all shoot pellets they like at well over 800 fps - so trajectory is good. The triggers on all of mine needed adjustment, I cleaned up the crowns based on the appearance. The 177 and 22 have both shot well over 190 now on the 30 yard challenge (I think the 177s best is 193 and the 22 is 195). That is up there with a lot of the more expensive guns being discussed. I don't want to say what the 25 will do, however, it is not nearly as good. From that experience and others comments I gather there is a bit of a barrel lottery, as there seems to be on at least all relatively inexpensive airguns. But my P35-25 has killed the most squirrels for me so far (18). It is not great at shooting targets but still is accurate enough for hunting and plinking. And 16 of the 18 squirrels I've hit with it were DRT (the other two ran a few feet). I think they are great fun and I got all three for what some of the rifles being recommended cost.

Reactions: Nattboy
I have both the BP17 and the Carbine HW100.
While both are good guns, the HW100 is by far the better gun ! In all ways. Not really knocking the Ataman, because I like it, it's just the HW100 is that much better.

Another one to look at is the AirMaks Caiman. They are on sale for $900 at Utah Airguns. I have two of the Caimans, and one Caiman X. They are also a big step up from the BP17. Better trigger, more solid, easier to aim.
Can't be beat for that price !!

1680402358317.jpeg

Mike

Reactions: orangeokie
While both are good guns, the HW100 is by far the better gun ! In all ways. Not really knocking the Ataman, because I like it, it's just the HW100 is that much better.

Another one to look at is the AirMaks Caiman. They are on sale for $900 at Utah Airguns. I have two of the Caimans, and one Caiman X. They are also a big step up from the BP17. Better trigger, more solid, easier to aim.

View attachment 344999

Mike
My X is due on Monday. They told me it is a brown laminate. Is the one in your photo a brown laminate? With all the videos I have watch on the Caiman I have been impressed with its accuracy. After shooting my Daystate Air Wolf and FX Crown, I am spoiled with consistent accuracy.

For top heirloom quality PCP rifles that won't break the bank, consider (all between $1100 and $1500):

Daystate Revere (regulated or non regulated)
Air Arms S510
FX Dreamline Classic
FX Crown VP
FX Wildcat
Brocock
BSA R-10 ($899)

If you want this level of quality in a piston gun, then the HW95/R9, HW97K or Air Arms TX 200 are tops.

Have fun shopping.
Hw97k is not in the same power class as pcp guns like fx dreamline classic, I own both. Weihrauch is a beautifully made rifle but weak

View attachment 344999

Mike
I saw that sale, please no more pics my bank account is on life support lol.

Reactions: john8

View attachment 344999

Mike
I took a look at Utah Airguns listings. I dont the "X" model listed. Is it discontinued?