• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Thoughts on fliers shooting groups.

I shot this card yesterday and recorded the velocity's of most of the shots. it was a little windy so I will shoot again when i get a chance. 

IMG_3246.1648999184.JPG

I believe only shots with an assignable cause, such as trigger jerk, wrong pellet type, gnat in eye, or earth moved during trigger break ….are truly “Fliers”.

Few shooters realize the true capability of their rig cacpability, sice they mostly shoot groups with only a few shots. If one shoots over a hundred shots with the same aimpoint and conditions, they typically see a much larger group that more accurately reveals the REAL capability the the shooting process that includes, gun, pellets, and shooter capabilty.

The large number group will likely contain many shots that would have been called fliers that are really p[art of the normal distribution under those conditions. Of course changing the process, as by cleaning the barrel, using a different pellet type etc might give better results, but its a different process, right?

LD

I like to keep my Arsenal of excuses well stocked because I can’t possibly be the cause of flyers!

I re-read this thread today, and have to say this is funny -- and sooooo true and I can easily relate.

I do wonder how many times I have used the 'flyer' excuse when it was actually/probably due to me doing something wrong with my shooting technique. The wind gets blamed a lot too as do bad pellets. So my arsenal of excuses is always in play. Honestly, and truth be told, I don't always know what causes a flyer in an otherwise good group or score. I don't sort or size, so I deserve what I get with respect to bad pellets as a cause. I normally can tell when it is something I did wrong with my technique, and when it is the wind. Not always, but usually. 

With air gun shooting ( i.e., bench rest at any distance), I just accept flyers as part of the hobby and shooting experience.

I understand what LD is saying above, and agree... The "flyers" that I've been talking about with the .22 RDMs aren't a half inch or an inch off from the main group. The "flyers" that I've experienced are WAY OFF the target, sometimes a couple of inches, sometimes a foot. To think that those type of flyers are caused by anything other than a bad pellet is just silly IMHO... Anyone that shoots JSB RDMs directly from the tin at 100 yards know exactly what I'm talking about...

I understand what LD is saying above, and agree... The "flyers" that I've been talking about with the .22 RDMs aren't a half inch or an inch off from the main group. The "flyers" that I've experienced are WAY OFF the target, sometimes a couple of inches, sometimes a foot. To think that those type of flyers are caused by anything other than a bad pellet is just silly IMHO... Anyone that shoots JSB RDMs directly from the tin at 100 yards know exactly what I'm talking about...

I’ve recently been experiencing this, and once the fliers didn’t make sense I sent my Athlon in for warranty work. They told me in their testing for recoil the scope wouldn’t hold zero. I have a new one coming in so I’ll know for sure if my sorted batch of Redesigns are 100% at fault.

I am ripping my hair off with these MRD's, I spent some two tins on this @ 50-60 meters past couple of weeks just for monitoring the groups, and noticed that when I am tightening the ES or SD the groups starts opening up over 1"-1.5", and if I tighten the groups getting bigger fliers. For next range day I will swap the barrel to see if that makes any change, but the problem is I don't have the same barrel length so the comparison again won't be apples to apples...