• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Thoughts on .30 pellets?

I've been shooting .30 since my first FX Bobcat Mk2 in 2017. With that gun with the ST barrel, the 44.75 and 50.1 JSB were about equivalent, and the 44.75 slightly more consistent. BC was not much different, 0.047 for 50 and 0.043 for the 44s.
Lately with all the new pellets, I've been trying the AEA pellets from a 700mm FX Superior 1:40 barrel liner in my Skout Epoch.

I've tried the 45s in my Skout with FX Superior and they are equivalent in accuracy to the JSB 44s, but with a 0.055 BC and better quality that doesn't require sorting. I recently shot them to win the 100Y BR event in Ashland Oregon. I did not try the 50.5 in this gun, since it shot so well with the 45s that I didn't want to change anything... I shot them direct from the tin.

I also just last weekend tried the AEA 50.5s in my .30 Delta Wolf in Factory mode. My DW really likes the 50.1 JSB, so it was only natural to try the .30 AEA 50.5 pellets. I tried them at 865 fps and wasn't impressed. I then dialed up the speed to between 885 and 890 fps and was pleasantly surprised. The accuracy and consistency were better than the JSB 50.1 (at 865 fps), plus the BC was significantly higher at 0.066. Also, the quality was better and didn't require sorting. This will be my Extreme FT setup for the 2024 comp season.

Curious on experiences with.30 45gr. Vs .50. JSB and or same weight JTS for long range competition 100yds?

Practicing at 100 yard benchrest targets, my RTI Prophet shot about the same scoring level with the 44 and 50 grain JSBs (FX branded JSBs)

My friend Joe finished 3rd in Sportsman benchrest at NAC - using AEA 50.5g with his FX Impact M3. Joe had always used JSB/FX pellets, but shortly before NAC he switched to AEA as he found them MUCH more consistent than JSB when weighing them.

Centercut reports similar to Joe regarding consistency of weight being better with AEA. I have not tried AEA, but I did notice that guys shooting Red Pandas at NAC were also using the AEA 50.5g.

Edit: some additional info. My friend Joe reports that he shot the AEA 50.5s at 965fps at NAC. Keith from 68Whiskey used the same Impact M3 setup as Joe, but shot the AEA 50.5g at 915fps at NAC - Pro Division.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimeRabbit
Keith from 68Whiskey used the same Impact M3 setup as Joe but shot the AEA 50.5g at 915fps at NAC - Pro Division.
I'm not doubting what you've been told, but I watched the video where Keith gets a flyer in the finals at the NAC (a 5) and says never again JSB... I know he did shoot the AEA 50s in his latest 68 Whiskey video where he shoots at EBR type swingers at slightly over 100 yards over his pond in shifting wind.

I just shot JTS 45gr. Today at 50yd no tuning just threw some in a mag and this is what it looked like. They were running 926fps SD of 2.8! I think I’m pretty much done with JSB in .25 and .30!
IMG_3900.jpeg

Last edited:
I just shot JTS 45gr. Today at 50yd no tuning just threw some in a mag and this is what it looked like. They were running 926fps SD of 2.8! I think I’m pretty much done with JSB in .25 and .30!View attachment 464557
I think alot of people are switching from JSB. I made the switch to JTS in .22 also. No bent skirts or inconsistencies in weight or head size. Looks like they're doing great in .30 also.

I shot the .30 AEA 50.5 grain pellets again today in warm weather from my old Delta Wolf. Accuracy was as good or better than the JSB 50.1 I’ve been shooting from it for 3 years now.

And the BC? Fuggetabouit!!! 0.072 GA. For a freakin pellet? Yup. Sho nuff!

Also, after the last firmware update to my DW, the Factory Mode has been unreal. It’s been really good the last couple of firmware updates, but this is next level. Here’s one magazine with AEA 50.5 at setpoint of 885 fps. ES of 2.5 and SD under 1 fps. Hard to beat that… seems like it shoots quieter and more smoothly than it has in the past. Advanced mode? Hehehe… no way.
I’m going to shoot this gun in Extreme Field Target this year.

IMG_2332.jpeg

I think two of the reasons the JTS pellets are more accurate is because their coming off new dies . And it's a harder lead so doesn't distort as easy .
I wasn't into airguns when JSB entered the market so I don't know if they ever produced a pellet as consistent as the JTS/AEA pellets, It would be very interesting to hear from some of those that remember the first years of JSB.

I did read somewhere JTS will be replacing dies on a scheduled to keep a consistent product,
Only time will tell but for now I am buying nothing but JTS and AEA.