• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Thomas' @50Y & 100Y ?

We had our 1st and only N50 match in October which was a blast BTW and so much so that we have 7 additional sanctioned matches scheduled for 2023 April - October. After our event I polled the shooters as to what we could do to improve future events and the most requested was to add or incorporate a 100Y event too. Initially in 2023 we are going to offer the standard 3 card N50 match plus an additional 2 card 100Y match following the N50. We will try this for the first couple of matches to see what the consensus is from the shooters before we commit to adding this for the remainder of the matches. As suggested by Mike we will be using the following and slightly more forgiving 200Y targets for our 100Y event:

I have been combing through the AGN reading threads while I ......... patiently ......... wait for my Thomas to arrive sometime in the spring of 2023. Initially I had planned to dedicate my HPX to 50Y events and use another rifle for 100Y but it got me wondering if any of you 50Y BR shooters are or have used your Thomas for both distances? Other than knowing your scope dope adjustments ahead of time, what would one do to prepare the same Thomas rifle for both distances?

Mike, if you are reading along, do you do anything different to the rifles that you have experimented with at both distances? I vicariously have read through your 100Y threads and wondered if yours was a 100Y only purpose built rifle or were you just seeing what your standard BR rifle was capable of at longer distances? I wonder if Jeff Hernandez does anything particular to his Thomas to prepare for both distances?

We had our 1st and only N50 match in October which was a blast BTW and so much so that we have 7 additional sanctioned matches scheduled for 2023 April - October. After our event I polled the shooters as to what we could do to improve future events and the most requested was to add or incorporate a 100Y event too. Initially in 2023 we are going to offer the standard 3 card N50 match plus an additional 2 card 100Y match following the N50. We will try this for the first couple of matches to see what the consensus is from the shooters before we commit to adding this for the remainder of the matches. As suggested by Mike we will be using the following and slightly more forgiving 200Y targets for our 100Y event:

I have been combing through the AGN reading threads while I ......... patiently ......... wait for my Thomas to arrive sometime in the spring of 2023. Initially I had planned to dedicate my HPX to 50Y events and use another rifle for 100Y but it got me wondering if any of you 50Y BR shooters are or have used your Thomas for both distances? Other than knowing your scope dope adjustments ahead of time, what would one do to prepare the same Thomas rifle for both distances?

Mike, if you are reading along, do you do anything different to the rifles that you have experimented with at both distances? I vicariously have read through your 100Y threads and wondered if yours was a 100Y only purpose built rifle or were you just seeing what your standard BR rifle was capable of at longer distances? I wonder if Jeff Hernandez does anything particular to his Thomas to prepare for both distances?
Unfortunately this year I did not practiced 50 the way I should. I might have shot no more than 10 total cards over the year. Mainly did 100yds all the time.
This coming year I will be putting more time into 50 so I can be prepared for the N50 Nats.

Reactions: Bosk and Joef

That's a good target, I shoot cast bullet competition and we shoot a target that looks very much like the same as the one recommended by Mike. I am curious what the 10 ring diameter is? The one we shoot the 10 ring diameter is .74 inches at 100-yards and I think it would make a great 100 yard air rifle target.

The IBS 200y Hunter target is a 1” 10 ring and each successive ring it 1” larger.

The IBS 100y Hunter target is 1/2” 10 ring and each successive ring is 1/2” larger.

I shoot my slug gun in local 100y Rimfire BR matches. They shoot 1 200y IBS Hunter card and 1 100y IBS Hunter for a 2 card aggregate. It’s rare to see a 250 on the 200y card and the x count is low….and that is with unlimited Rimfire and my unlimited slug gun.

The IBS 200y will be plenty hard for pellets and the larger successive rings will keep the scores closer between the top and bottom shooters. That makes more people happy without upsetting the order. All the Rimfire guys at these local matches like the 200y….but most hate the 100y. The scoring order on each is mostly the same.

Mike

The IBS 200y Hunter target is a 1” 10 ring and each successive ring it 1” larger.

The IBS 100y Hunter target is 1/2” 10 ring and each successive ring is 1/2” larger.

I shoot my slug gun in local 100y Rimfire BR matches. They shoot 1 200y IBS Hunter card and 1 100y IBS Hunter for a 2 card aggregate. It’s rare to see a 250 on the 200y card and the x count is low….and that is with unlimited Rimfire and my unlimited slug gun.

The IBS 200y will be plenty hard for pellets and the larger successive rings will keep the scores closer between the top and bottom shooters. That makes more people happy without upsetting the order. All the Rimfire guys at these local matches like the 200y….but most hate the 100y. The scoring order on each is mostly the same.

Mike
I just tried to order some of the 100 yard IBS targets, but they are out of stock.

After seeing the 1/2” 10 ring, I’m glad they are out of stock. 😀

I realize now why the RF guys will like the larger IBS 200 yard targets, as I did shoot some with the Annie 1907 without tuner a while back. A 245 and 246, but those scores would have been lower with the IBS 100 yard targets.

I posted them on Tim’s Inaugural post a while back. I think I’ll stick with the larger ring sized 200 yard targets at 100 yards.

Here are some 25 shot groups at 50y and 100y from a HPX I tested a little today. The first one at 50 I just held center and let it blow. The rest I held off.

Mike

B35F9638-D56B-48F5-8FA1-EFFCE453EF4D.jpeg
C7760F15-7D3B-4FD7-9246-1B1593CFE344.jpeg
465DAB3A-B152-4829-933B-13827D7D4858.jpeg
39FF7FBC-9812-4D4D-8F3A-CF28F9149A44.jpeg
909272C2-0AEA-4744-ABD1-D82344540A8C.jpeg

Someone is getting a nice Thomas soon.
Soon? Well …. I’m on the list … so based on my approximate calculations of 6-9 months lead time, it might be sometime in the spring? In the mean time I have to live vicariously through other Thomas shooter’s threads and Mike’s targets he posts occasionally to fuel my anticipation :whistle:

This is pellets.

You don’t need a new gun…but you do need a stock that is pillared and bedded…or one of my aluminum ones. The pillaring may still not get you where you want to be with what you have. I can’t say, really.

Mike

I saw your other thread a few minutes later - pellets.

It's at Bobby's getting the pillar bedding done and if that doesn't work like I hope it does then I'll go from there.
BUT your newer HPX is so COOL and shoots so crazy good!

I saw your other thread a few minutes later - pellets.

It's at Bobby's getting the pillar bedding done and if that doesn't work like I hope it does then I'll go from there.
BUT your newer HPX is so COOL and shoots so crazy good!
Alright, now we're going to need to see a photo of this newest iteration of the HPX. Please.