• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

This Starling Really Messed Up My Yard

The nerve of that starling to explode it's internals all over your yard....😂...great shot and video!
I think I taught it a valuable lesson!

I did a similar thing last week - a 50 Gr .25 Altaros through a starling at 20 yards. Nothing left of the back half as shot it head on.
Fantastic!
I believe the larger calibers are very unforgiving on these pest birds.

Seems like those lugs get great expansion. So how well do they work on larger game where you want penetration like raccoons or coyotes?
I would not use them on those game. The Hybrids Slugs start expanding very soon, and I feel you won't get the penetration depth you need with a 100fpe .30cal airgun at 100 yards. I would rather use H&N Slug II rounds or move up to the Benjamin Bulldog .357cal and shoot FX Hybrid Slugs from there.

Thanks!

When the moon is right and my guns decided to shoot the hybrids, they drop ground squirrels way better than diabolo's.
One thing to note, is that although the slug hit the Starling in the front, the slug expanded so quickly, and probably fragmented, it pushed the guts of the pest out the bottom instead of out the back!

I don't get why you guys are so joyful to watch living things get exploded.
I think you may be on the wrong forum. If said living thing is damaging my property, I will with all due expedience introduce it to the afterlife.

But nevertheless, there are dozens of projectiles and calibers available to airgunners, and weekly the age old question pops up:

Which xyz airgun is the best for ethical hunting, pest elimination or outright murderous revenge with xyz projectile. Is xyz caliber enough to do the job on xyz pest, or do I have to step up, or can I step down in caliber to get the job done.

So if there were any doubt of what a high velocity Hybrid Slug in .30cal can do to similarly sized avian, I have definitively answered that question.

I have also wondered if there was a setup that can cause a similar amount of visible terminal damage to groundhogs, as oftentimes, it's not advantageous to have a terminally wounded groundhog make it back to their burrow. I am almost for certain that such results can be had with the FX Hybrid Slugs in .357cal shooting at around 1000 fps, But I just hate shooting my suppressed Benjamin Bulldog .357cal as it's so freaking long!

Call it graphic evidence of terminal ballistics, often talked about but rarely photographed.
Exactly.

Nice video and great kill.
Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: HogKiller
I don't get why you guys are so joyful to watch living things get exploded.
Well when the squirrels crawled into my trucks engine well and chewed a hole in my fuse box $30+ to replace and nawed on the plastic firewall cover I declared war on them, I eliminated 70 last year and 20 or so this year.

I think you may be on the wrong forum. If said living thing is damaging my property, I will with all due expedience introduce it to the afterlife.

But nevertheless, there are dozens of projectiles and calibers available to airgunners, and weekly the age old question pops up:

Which xyz airgun is the best for ethical hunting, pest elimination or outright murderous revenge with xyz projectile. Is xyz caliber enough to do the job on xyz pest, or do I have to step up, or can I step down in caliber to get the job done.

So if there were any doubt of what a high velocity Hybrid Slug in .30cal can do to similarly sized avian, I have definitively answered that question.

I have also wondered if there was a setup that can cause a similar amount of visible terminal damage to groundhogs, as oftentimes, it's not advantageous to have a terminally wounded groundhog make it back to their burrow. I am almost for certain that such results can be had with the FX Hybrid Slugs in .357cal shooting at around 1000 fps, But I just hate shooting my suppressed Benjamin Bulldog .357cal as it's so freaking long!

Exactly.

Thanks!
To the gentleman question, I only terminate pests, in my case currently only Ground Squirrels, now with PCP pellet guns but I have used .17 HMR's.....let's just say that the terminal ballistics at 100 yards on a ground squirrel is very effective, even the shock of a graze is enough to kill. A body shot disembowel's them. 136 ft lbs of energy is very effective.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Well when the squirrels crawled into my trucks engine well and chewed a hole in my fuse box $30+ to replace and nawed on the plastic firewall cover I declared war on them, I eliminated 70 last year and 20 or so this year.
Yeah nothing wrong with killing pests. Totally understandable. I agree with ethical killing. I just don't get why some members make a mockery out of tiny dead animals. Using laughing emojis etc. To me that looks like psychopathic traits.

For the record of terminal ballistics, Maverick .25 Sniper, 26gr hybrid 1020 fps 52ish yards, I was going for a head shot.

IMG_2841.jpeg

Reactions: N2 Shooter