This place isn't very friendly?

Here's a free tip.

The first thing you want to do when you join a forum is outfit your profile with an avatar. Doesn't need to be catchy, it just needs to be unique. I can tell you personally, if you post a question in a week, and I read it, I will not connect you with this thread. If you had an avatar, I would 100% remember that, and we'd begin to build camaraderie. I'm pretty confident this isn't just me, that for most forum users, 100% of our identifying people at first is via that avatar. We only start to learn actual screen names or real names much later. No avatar is almost like "anonymous" or "John Doe" as far as our ability to know you from the next guy with no avatar. Think of it as a small step to put something into your relationship with the forum and that small input will begin to help. It's even more important once you start answering others queries,. "oh yeah, that guy with the "Felix The Cat" avatar was really helpful"

Here's another quick example, I just had to go back to page one to copy and paste in " Ezana4CE 's" screen name here, as i frankly might never be able to call up that screen name from memory, but the guy with the Bulldog avatar? (not to be confused with the boxer avatar, though he's a good member too!) He's very active, very generous and helpful on this forum, and I know we've exchanged information many times in various threads. I even think i know his real name now!

I feel like this is a great forum with lots of helpful people! I hope you are able to stick around and enjoy the support.

Jake

Reactions: JimNM
I'm not saying this is what you're experiencing, but I can see where some of the members who are on here everyday may get tired of seeing the same questions asked and thier replies can seem snippy. This isn't unique to this site, try asking a question about brakes on an automotive forum and they'll make you feel like the village idiot.

I try to look for a previous post asking my question first, but that doesn't always work.

Well, most folks that come across like they’ve got their hat in their hand standing in line seem to get not only the help, but peak interest in their subject matter. The ones with the “been there done that”, “this is the best way-period” type of folks, you can imagine they’re the chest puffin’ type with the big sign hanging from their neck with large letters saying LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!.

well, that type either does not get communication back, or receives no feedback whatsoever on any of his/her input.

There’s a member that recently joined up on AGN and that persons started at 5mph, but as time has gone by he’s up to around 50mph now and I see the same old “yeah this is the best and only way” attitude he’s always had starting to ooze out. I never see any replies back from his comments either. It’s as if he’s a ghost. He’s trying really hard, though.

Just don’t be that type, and you’ll get along great here

Here's a free tip.

The first thing you want to do when you join a forum is outfit your profile with an avatar. Doesn't need to be catchy, it just needs to be unique. I can tell you personally, if you post a question in a week, and I read it, I will not connect you with this thread. If you had an avatar, I would 100% remember that, and we'd begin to build camaraderie. I'm pretty confident this isn't just me, that for most forum users, 100% of our identifying people at first is via that avatar. We only start to learn actual screen names or real names much later. No avatar is almost like "anonymous" or "John Doe" as far as our ability to know you from the next guy with no avatar. Think of it as a small step to put something into your relationship with the forum and that small input will begin to help. It's even more important once you start answering others queries,. "oh yeah, that guy with the "Felix The Cat" avatar was really helpful"

Here's another quick example, I just had to go back to page one to copy and paste in " Ezana4CE 's" screen name here, as i frankly might never be able to call up that screen name from memory, but the guy with the Bulldog avatar? (not to be confused with the boxer avatar, though he's a good member too!) He's very active, very generous and helpful on this forum, and I know we've exchanged information many times in various threads. I even think i know his real name now!

I feel like this is a great forum with lots of helpful people! I hope you are able to stick around and enjoy the support.

Jake

You know, Jake has a good point here. An avatar along with a catchy handle would do do better than something generic, or nothing at all. Not something I considered before, but makes plenty of sense.

Here's a free tip.

Jake

You know, Jake has a good point here. An avatar along with a catchy handle would do do better than something generic, or nothing at all. Not something I considered before, but makes plenty of sense.

Totally agree about the avatar especially if your user name is difficult to remember.

Let's reflect for a minute. How many times have you read a thread, gained valuable info that will stay with you forever, and didn't reply? 

I do it all the time. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate or value the knowledge provided. It just means there is no valuable info I can offer.

Just a suggestion, but read all you can, absorb what you find helpful, and disregard the rest. There are really some great people here with a ton of knowledge that share freely. For that I am thankful.

Welcome to the forum

It seems that you have to put in the time on this forum. Many scammers and people posting topics just to be able to sell items. There is alot of information/ learning tips on here and the people are nice, helpful, and interactive BUT it will depend on the topic or question. provide as much information on the topic or question SO that the responder can give good feedback or advice on the topic. As with any social site there are people that hate and are negative to the core. Enjoy the forum and be kind, to others. 

TODD