This is America

Amen!!! America needs to eventually get out of dark colonial age and join rest of the world to modern day math. Who da F*&$ can do any the dumb a$$ conversations in SAE system? We are making our kids dumbest in the world by making it impossible to do simple math with ridiculous conversation! how many Oz is in a ton? How many inches in a mile? How many MOA is a 6 foot tall person at a mile????

Why was the complicated multi conversation came to be to begin with? So the rich/powerful can scam the poor/illiterate peasants who can't do conversion! Does any one still remember the conversion rates for British money before then went to 10 to 1? NONE of the conversion BS got there by accident!!!
Feel free to move Europe any time, homeboy 👋

Well most times at least in manufacturing you do use the small mm unit, so you could get a drawing of something you need to make that is 4500 mm long, and the drawing would say that too, but getting the raw material to make that from you might say i need so and so that is 5 meters long and so you have 0.5 meter or 500 mm to work with.
At least that is my take from the metal fabrication industry,,,, and yes i have found it strange to use mm for really big things where CM or Meters would apply better, and not least if you dont have any tight tolerance in the equation too.
In general i use mm for anything below 1000 mm / 100 CM / 1 M, above that i generally use Meters maybe spiced with CM so instead of 4.5 Meters i might say 4 Meters and 50 centimeters.
Centimeters on their own are not much used here in Denmark, the height in your passport say 189 CM in my case, it do not say 1.89 M or 1890 mm.

I understand in imperial accurate mean 1 or a few 10.000 of a inch, when i have made accurate stuff it have been a tolerance with a "play" of 4/1000 of a mm
And the few times i have made tolerances, for instance for a bearing in imperial measures, well i have made it with the micrometer as there have been no tolerance gauge for that.

I am pretty sure most American companies are on the metric bandwagon now, regarding NASA i think they was on it already with the Apollo project.

The mighty Saturn 5 itself, well as it was made by a German it was probably also designed with metric, even if i must acknowledge that the feet measurements end in .0 where as Metric mesurments of the rocket are .6 and .1

Height363.0 ft (110.6 m)
Diameter33.0 ft (10.1 m)

And just to make sure i am not "hating" here, i can assure one and all, that if i ever get my hand on a time machine, one of the first things i would set the dial to is a date so i could see a Saturn 5 launch,,,,,, cuz it must have been one of the most almighty things to behold.

Also when Space X launch their new rockets,,,,,,, there are few things i would NOT DO to be able to personally see one of those suckers launch.

What i have often wondered about is.
How come the Americans overthrowing their English oppressors,,,,, but still kept their insane measurement system.
Not least when the nation to a large degree have the French to thank for their independence.

I dont understand how come you guys dont sip tea and drive on the wrong side today. :LOL:

Last edited:
There are two types of countries in the world. Those that use the metric system, and those that have been to the moon 👍🇺🇸

Yes, except the people put us on the moon came from Europe/Germany and used metric system. There is NOTHING in space program ever used SAE system besides the literature for the rest of the people.

Last edited:
Interesting that Gerhard, Matt Dubber, Gerhards former homey, and even Ted ALL give velocities in FPS.. well ain’t that sump’n? Kinda says it all don’t it?

If anyone had to do manual ballistic calculation you bet they will be using meter per second but the thankfully computers can do ballistic calculation fast so it’s a none issue since it doesn’t impact how we range and use the reticle.

To each their own, if you learned MOA systems then that’s that. Since I stared on MRAD system and use numbers divisible by 10 at work (mostly as computers use Hex and binary) it’s much easier to me. Example: A 6 foot tall person is 1.8 meters which is 1.8 mils at 1km, pretty easy.

Reactions: Windmill01
I know both.. I use mm to space out balusters on guardrails and hand rails... But, as Americans we are different.. We know what is half of 47 13/16" is and quart of shine is $25.. Others don't know fractions...Oh yea, forgot about caliber.. you know .177. .22, .25 etc..
And a 12 gauge.. hum.. That's 12 spheres of a horrific toxic material. .. but a .410 is a 410...

Reactions: qball
Yes, except the people put us on the moon came from Europe/Germany and used metric system. There is NOTHING in space program ever used SAE system besides the literature for the rest of the people.
Uh, no chief, the guys that went to the moon were AMERICANS, not “Germans”. And they used the English system to get there. Are you kidding with this comment? 😂

Uh, no chief, the guys that went to the moon were AMERICANS, not “Germans”. And they used the English system to get there. Are you kidding with this comment? 😂

You know Germans invented rocket engines, started the missiles and rocket program and subsequent space programs.

Yes, American astronauts physically went to the moon but the technologies and many engineers put them them there originated from Germany during WW2. BOTH American and Russian rocket and space programs started with all the German rocket engineers rounded up as US and Russians went through Germany. All of the German scientists became American so you are right they were Americans by the time Apollo started. Obviously many American engineers later learned from the German turned American scientists and developed further.

Regardless that doesn’t change the fact nothing in the space program or any scientific programs was done in SAE. I happened to intern at Rockwell international during high school, friends with few with work title literally says rocket scientist and shot with a guy who worked on all the engines on all the space shuttles today. If I ask him if he did any of his engineering work in SAE he will fall over laughing.

Edit: you guys realize the SAE system is called imperial system right? Many Americans died to kick out British imperialist in 1776, real Americans would say F$&@ you to anything imperial! LOL!!!

Last edited:
When is the last time you saw an airgun tube, bottle or US car engine listed in ci vs CC/litre.
thammer, yeah we saw the same thing with scuba tanks in the scuba industry whenever it was a european vendor. They measure tanks in liquid volume and we state it in cu ft of the gas that’s being compressed in it.
Bottom line, we like ours because that’s what we were raised/trained on. When I taught a CNC class we had a chapter on metric conversion. I always told the students we know what one and two liters is because that’s what we always see what soda comes in when we walk in to the gas station to pay for gas. Similarly, jap bikes always specified “CC’s” for engine size. The guys that worked on them knew by looking at the piston how many CC’s it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: darylm
The Culture of a country has a lot to do with it and our system is a mixed bag, but it works. My 3 kids are all just out of college and I don't think they learned much different than I did. I can remember back in 1995 working in the Emergency room as in EMT at Great Lakes Naval base, and a Pediatric Doctor was on call and ask me why the charts were in pounds instead of kilograms. I told her that was the way the doctors wanted it in the ER. She gave me an order to change it into kilograms, which I thought was funny since she didn't work in the ER. So I told her it wasn't going to happen because that's the way the ER doctors wanted it. Fast forward to this summer as I went to my primary care doctor and they still weight in pounds. I went to the ER last Sunday to be checked out after I was in a car accident and they weighed me in Kilograms. It is what it is in America and most don't seem to mind. Personally, I think the metric system is used sparingly by most Americans and only when necessary.

Reactions: rcs9250