This is America

ROCKIN' post, MrP; utterly HILARIOUS!🤙

I recall an elementary school teacher exposing us to the metric system, and saying the U.S. would be fully converted within a decade. I was smart enough to call that BS... SIXTY YEARS AGO!😂

Another elementary school teacher exposing us to computers, big as a room back then, told us not only would computers shrink in size to hand-held (I believed that), but computers would "save us SO much time, and make all our lives SO much better". I called BS on that... again correctly! Within a few years of my correct assessments, I made the leap of logic that computers/high technology will be the downfall of Mankind; yet another correct prediction.

While I am good at math, and understand the advantages of the metric system, I'm just too damned old and ornery to embrace it. Obviously I'm not the only one! And obviously both elementary school teachers' grasps of human psychology were quite... elementary!:geek:

I often make the statement/BRAG, "I'm not always as dumb as I always look!"o_O That confessed, I'm old enough to have seen such dumbing down of fellow Americans that I've apparently inched up the intelligence-level ladder over the last many decades. With the teaching and interest in such things as reading, writing, 'rithmetic, English, history, science, HUMOR, philosophy, etc. being replaced by artificial 'intelligence' and social media, no wonder a DOLT like me has ascended the ranks of ever-shrinking human intelligence. I figure if I live another couple decades I might be(come) the smartest man on Earth.🤐

At this time I'd like to lend further perspective on our posts by inviting anyone finding either humorous to do themselves a big favor by unearthing one of the most hilarious movies I've seen, Idiocracy. Now that I think about it, considering the additional poignancy it has inherited in the last couple years, it will be even more hilarious; virtue of (now) having exponentially greater historical perspective(s) than ever.🤣

WARNING- Language, violence, sexual situations... all hilarious!

BTW, all Humanity should thank me. I had JUST enough sense to not reproduce!

YOU'RE WELCOME.

CORRECTION- "I had JUST enough sense to not reproduce..." to the best of my knowledge!:unsure::eek::oops:

Last edited:
Another elementary school teacher exposing us to computers, big as a room back then, told us not only would computers shrink in size to hand-held (I believed that), but computers would "save us SO much time, and make all our lives SO much better". I called BS on that... again correctly! Within a few years of my correct assessments, I made the leap of logic that computers/high technology will be the downfall of Mankind; yet another correct prediction.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

CORRECTION- "I had JUST enough sense to not reproduce..." to the best of my knowledge!:unsure::eek::oops:
And here you are using the BS computer technology to converse with others regarding a hobby in which most of the components were most likely designed and implemented using that same BS technology. Hahaha

ROCKIN' post, MrP; utterly HILARIOUS!🤙

I recall an elementary school teacher exposing us to the metric system, and saying the U.S. would be fully converted within a decade. I was smart enough to call that BS... SIXTY YEARS

I too remember the metric promise in HS back in the early 70’s. How did they expect generations of carpenters to change their mindset?? It was VERY short sided thinking. Now we are to believe the internal combustion engine is outdated and on it’s way out. I doubt it. Change can be good, but only if EVERYONE is onboard.......

I live in Australia and I recall we converted to dollars and cents in the sixties. It wasn’t a big deal. Then we converted from imperial to metric when I was in my late teens and believed this would be difficult for everyone, it wasn’t. My father was a carpenter and houses still continued to be built, in the same time and cost. I still use both imperial and metric but to me metric is more precise.
Now if I can only get my head around pellet head sizes, 4.51, 4.52, 4.53 hmmmmmm maybe one day😂

Reactions: qball
I am a European living in USA. and I am doing my best to get used to the imperial system, and it's hard. If you ask me how tall I am I still couldn't be able to tell you - 6 feet and 2inches, or 6 feet, 1inch and3/8 of an inch, I just don't know. When I go to do some groceries, I pay for a lbs. and that's nearly half a kilo. Ok that's easy, but what about 4 OZ, 8 OZ,12 OZ, 14 OZ, I can hardly do the math 😂 When I ask the guys, what size kill zones they use and they are like: 3/8 of an inch, 3/4 of an inch, 1/2 of an inch, 1-1/2 of an inch...hmmm:unsure: I need a calculator. The only time when I feel happy while dealing with the imperial system is when I put gas in the tank. Well, from my perspective :). I pay for a gallon - almost four litters😉

P.S. Didn't mention Fahrenheit and Celsius on purpose. I am truly sorry, but this is something I will never ever be able to get used to😥

Reactions: thumper and qball
Here’s my contribution towards measurement - for water to rice ratio and perfect rice, fill enough water above the top of the rice to come up to the first knuckle of your fourth finger.

So don’t push into the rice with your finger, just gently set your fingertip on the top of the rice. Water level to first knuckle of 4th finger

Here’s my contribution towards measurement - for water to rice ratio and perfect rice, fill enough water above the top of the rice to come up to the first knuckle of your fourth finger.

So don’t push into the rice with your finger, just gently set your fingertip on the top of the rice. Water level to first knuckle of 4th finger
I uses to use that trick, but I now use the cup to measure the water and rice ratio, because some variety of rice requires more water and some are not, it also depends on how long it was stored, the longer it was stored the more water you need to cook them.